Facebook Page

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Facebook Page

Post by MisterSteve124 »

If any of you are on facebook I suggest you like the Legalize Home Distillation Page at m/LegalizeHomeDistillation. It would be great to have more members and try and raise awareness.
astronomical
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Facebook Page

Post by astronomical »

Let me run and "like", "thumbs up", and then "share" that and "tag" all 10,000,000 of my friends, of which, I can name all of them. :mrgreen:
MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MisterSteve124 »

Do it :clap:
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

A fine idea I suppose but the site definitely needs polishing, and until it's cleaned up I will not "like" the page. In fact, it's misrepresenting our belief system here at HD.

To whomever created the site (if you know the party, please forward this on):

I would remove the photograph of Popcorn; it'll work against your cause more than you may think. Popcorn operated stills totalling THOUSANDS of gallons. He sold his spirits for profit and never paid taxes. We don't believe in selling spirits here and don't encourage anyone to do so. We encourage the craft of small-scale artisan distilling.

In this post, "The lesson here is not to go selling your product at the local high school, but I think that goes without saying. If you're selling high proof spirits to kids you're wrong and I've got nothing for you." it should be re-worded to not sell your product to ANYONE, not just high school kids.

In this post, "This page is not only for moonshiners or people interested in getting a still started, it's for everyone tired of over-reaching federal regulations on things that don't concern them." it's probably best not to antagonize the federal government if your ultimate goal is to gain their trust and support. I'd also drop using the title "moonshiner" and substitute it with home-distiller, craft-distiller, artisan distiller, or something of the like.

The entire page needs to be re-done. Comments (from the host) about cocaine, glorifying men who got caught selling "moonshine", etc... This site truly does more harm than good for our cause.
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
GreenMTNfermenter
Novice

Post by GreenMTNfermenter »

+1 washashore

while I'd like to think that a facebook page could help in the cause, I'm not too sure of it at this point.
this forum while it is out there an online is also low enough on the radar to be helpful, me thinks...

Greenmtn
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Plus 2. Anyone thinking a page such as that one helps our cause is part of the problem. On face book as well as HD :thumbdown:
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Bob421
Bootlegger

Post by Bob421 »

Tater wrote:Plus 2. Anyone thinking a page such as that one helps our cause is part of the problem. On face book as well as HD :thumbdown:
+3
MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MisterSteve124 »

I agree it could use some work and I will try to pass on the message, but I still think it serves more good than bad. I hope after some changes are made and it more accurately reflects everyone's views we can expand the page and make our presence known.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

When it does re post it. Till then I'm removing link .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MisterSteve124 »

I talked to the admin and he has given me admin rights to update the site and polish it a bit. I will work on creating a mission statement of sorts, and putting some information on the info section of the page. If anyone has any more suggestions or ideas I will work on trying update the page with them. For now does anyone have any good ideas for a cover photo? I have looked around and I'm trying to find something that would be suitable and something that the owner would give us the rights to use. Thanks for your help guys hopefully we can get the page involved with the site and vice versa as well!
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

One thing that I'm going to toss out there is that it is probably far easier for at least the US government to sniff its way back to you through Facebook than through just about any other means... Take that as you like but I've made but one visit there and that will be my last, at least for now... In short, don't get lured in by the piss-poor hype... :think:
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I think if it was done correctly it would be or could be a good tool. But I'm still not going to like it. My Facebook is to much about me and my family. I try to keep the hobby separate for the same reasons most do. I note get some friends to spread it around. But I don't want to be associated with it there. Good luck.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Bob421
Bootlegger

Post by Bob421 »

rad14701 wrote:One thing that I'm going to toss out there is that it is probably far easier for at least the US government to sniff its way back to you through Facebook than through just about any other means... Take that as you like but I've made but one visit there and that will be my last, at least for now... In short, don't get lured in by the piss-poor hype... :think:
Yup, seeing my real name at the top of that Page makes me uneasy.
MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MisterSteve124 »

Its just as easy for them to get your name on the facebook page as it is for the government to track your ip address on this website, they could easily do it and find out who everyone is on this site. Rad a simple google search got me your full name and address in less than 5 minutes, anyone could easily find out our names. The internet has no privacy
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

The big difference is others I know can see my Facebook. And those stupid people will blow anything out of proportion. Next thing you know you got someone knocking on your door wanting something. Or SRS wanting your kids cause some jackass told them you were putting your kids in harms way. Don't have that problem here. Only a select few know my real name.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MisterSteve124 »

Prariepiss I totally understand that you and some others may not want to make their support of Home Distillation a public view point, totally understandable. And obviously I am not trying to force anyone to like the page. My only point was that, if you are worried about the government finding you because you like a facebook page about legalizing Home Distillation then you probably shouldn't be a member of these forums either because if they wanted to they could easily find all of our names and pay us a visit.
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

MisterSteve124 wrote:Prariepiss I totally understand that you and some others may not want to make their support of Home Distillation a public view point, totally understandable. And obviously I am not trying to force anyone to like the page. My only point was that, if you are worried about the government finding you because you like a facebook page about legalizing Home Distillation then you probably shouldn't be a member of these forums either because if they wanted to they could easily find all of our names and pay us a visit.

lol, they already know my name, address & social security number! :thumbup:
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

MisterSteve124 wrote:Rad a simple google search got me your full name and address in less than 5 minutes, anyone could easily find out our names.
I'm not trying to hide... :shifty: Anyone can find me if they really wanted to... :shh: But I can go deeper than Google if I want to find people or information... :eugeek: And the US government doesn't need a search warrant to access the entire Facebook database but they would to monitor this site... :idea:
MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MisterSteve124 »

I'm pretty sure the government would need a warrant to access the servers and such on facebook. Just because it is a social networking website does not mean they will let the government go on and look at information that you don't already have as viewable to everyone. My only point was that by liking the page someone is not making themselves open to any more risk then they are by simply having an account and posting on this forum.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

MisterSteve124 wrote:I'm pretty sure the government would need a warrant to access the servers and such on facebook. Just because it is a social networking website does not mean they will let the government go on and look at information that you don't already have as viewable to everyone. My only point was that by liking the page someone is not making themselves open to any more risk then they are by simply having an account and posting on this forum.
Oh they have the technology to look at just about anything they want. How they use it? Who knows? But like I said. It's not the goberment that I'm really worried about on Facebook. It's everyone else that doesn't need to know my business. Other then what I give them. Last thing I need is one of my sons friends to get a wild idea from a post I make. And then I have a bunch of kids trying to figure out how to get to my stash. Or spreading the rumor to all their friends. My luck it would go viral. That's the last thing I need. So stillin stuff stays here and other stuff goes there.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

You mean Mr. Piss is not your real name?? :esurprised:
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
StillLifeForMe
Novice

Post by StillLifeForMe »

Prairiepiss wrote:That's the last thing I need. So stillin stuff stays here and other stuff goes there.
Yup. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Piss wrote:It's not the goberment that I'm really worried about on Facebook. It's everyone else that doesn't need to know my business.
You mean, its not cool when it blasts "Piss 'likes' legalizing home distilling" for all to see at the top of a public page with your real name/pictures and hundreds of people that know you get to read it? You guys are paranoid :lol:

Facebook is bullshit anyway.... "Jonny 'likes' to scratch his ass" :thumbup:
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

MuleKicker wrote:
Piss wrote:It's not the goberment that I'm really worried about on Facebook. It's everyone else that doesn't need to know my business.
You mean, its not cool when it blasts "Piss 'likes' legalizing home distilling" for all to see at the top of a public page with your real name/pictures and hundreds of people that know you get to read it? You guys are paranoid :lol:

Facebook is bullshit anyway.... "Jonny 'likes' to scratch his ass" :thumbup:

LOL
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

MuleKicker wrote:Facebook is bullshit anyway.... "Jonny 'likes' to scratch his ass" :thumbup:
A better one, may be 'hang on, brb, gotta take a crap'

The wife has fallen into that worthless site. But the cretons from HD have little to talk about. We hang out, blowing our time on 'our' social media.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Yeh on Facebook I blab about sitting on the pot taking a crap. Here on HD I blab about sitting on the pot running my pot still. :lol:

There I complain about the jackass that cut me off. Here I complain about the bad cuts I made. :lol:

There I blab about pissing. Here I am Mr Piss. :mrgreen:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

It's a double edge sword. If I liked it on facebook I would have to stop. Every dam thing you say is public. I'm more worried about some FB friend that gets pissed at me for something then turns me in. Like what happened to this guy, only it was his neighbor.

http://www.the-dispatch.com/article/201 ... -moonshine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
GuyFawkes
Swill Maker

Post by GuyFawkes »

MisterSteve124 wrote:Its just as easy for them to get your name on the facebook page as it is for the government to track your ip address on this website, they could easily do it and find out who everyone is on this site. Rad a simple google search got me your full name and address in less than 5 minutes, anyone could easily find out our names. The internet has no privacy
Incorrect. jesse would have to either willingly turn over the IP addresses, or they would have to subpoena him to. And that would only prove interest in distillation, nothing on this site can be used as a confession or proof of guilt anyway

As far as internet privacy, you give what you get. Be careful with what you type in where and who can see it, and you will be fine. As for the FB page, liking it is, again, meaningless. the feds arent taking a list and kicking down everyones doors who liked the page. I understand if you dont want all of your friends seeing that you distill, though, and thats why I wont like it either

sorry if im ranting too much, im tired and ive sampled too much product....
Experience is what you get right after you need it.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

GuyFawkes, your view is all well and good - just as long as you walk around thinking the way you do... Don't for a moment think that governments take heed of the idea that they are required to apply for search warrants in order to gather information... As for FB, they don't need one... And if a government doesn't want to get their hands dirty they hire an independent contractor so they are hidden behind smoke and mirrors and bureaucratic BS... And who knows what a single government or a coalition of governments might do with the information gathered... Social profiling is big business these days and the connections between various forms of social networking are being processed as you read this... It's too late to be paranoid, but don't drop your guard...

Me, paranoid...??? :econfused: :shifty:
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I though this here was our facebook :econfused:
I do all my own stunts