B.C. craft distillers get boost from NDP

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rumbuff
Swill Maker

B.C. craft distillers get boost from NDP

Post by rumbuff »

Wonder how long this will take for them to take action?

http://www.theprovince.com/life/craft+d ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
MDH
Distiller

Re: B.C. craft distillers get boost from NDP

Post by MDH »

There is a serious problem with a place when a prospective government is promising to bring down the taxes to "only" 129% from a whopping 176%

The highest taxes in America are 50% in Washington State.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Well, it's a start. And we do have healthcare ...
I do all my own stunts
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I live in Washington and if you live close to Oregon people go there to buy their liquor. I boat a lot in the gulf islands of BC and there GSD has me bringing my booze across the border with me.
rumbuff
Swill Maker

Post by rumbuff »

The girlfriend and I were down in washington state a few weeks ago, and I bought a nice bottle of 12 year scotch, for a whopping 36 bucks... had to pay an extra 38 to get it across the border, because like a moron, I declared it.. Any reduction in tax is a good one, especially the bit about allowing direct sales from an on-premisis store, or direct to restaurants. I'm not ready to open up a distillery yet, but this makes me hope that the law and my timing might meet up in a good way....
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

blind drunk wrote:Well, it's a start. And we do have healthcare ...
So does much of progressive Europe. Yet my European relatives have all told me after a trip to the olympics in vancouver that they have never seen liquor prices so high in their entire lives, and that's saying a lot.

I was on Vancouver Island at that time browsing one of the government run liquor stores during the Olympics, and I remember an older, stocky German man with suspenders (This is not a joke he was the real deal) looking at the beer and shaking his head. He said to the staff, "This beer is 30 cents per can in Germany. It is over $4.00 here. These taxes are ridiculous!". All she could do was shrug at him. But he had intended to give his American friend (Also shaking his head) a taste of the product of his home land, and grimacing, bought the beer anyway.

It's just out of control.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
rumbuff
Swill Maker

Post by rumbuff »

MDH wrote:
It's just out of control.

And with that train of thought, I found my way here!! :mrgreen: