Landowners

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mntneer
Novice

Landowners

Post by mntneer »

Can the landowner get in legal trouble for allowing a private still on their property but not profitting or being involved in the operation?
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: Landowners

Post by Prairiepiss »

I guess it would depend on the situation. And how those involved feel that day. But how would someone not know it was happening on their property?
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
mntneer
Novice

Post by mntneer »

I never said they wouldnt know, just that they arent involved...
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

If they willingly let it happen on their property. Then they are an accomplice. And yes they can be busted for it to.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
rhumbum
Novice

Post by rhumbum »

Prehaps not relevent to the OP but heres some legal info for UK folks:

A property owner could be held liable for a fine if they are proven to have known about someone distilling on their property:
(1)Save as provided by or under this Act, any person who, otherwise than under and in accordance with an excise licence under this Act so authorising him—
(a)manufactures spirits, whether by distillation of a fermented liquor or by any other process; or
(b)uses a still for distilling, rectifying or compounding spirits; or
(c)distils or has in his possession any low wines or feints; or
(d)not being a vinegar-maker, produces or makes or has in his possession any wort or wash fit for distillation,
shall be liable on summary conviction to a penalty of level 5 on the standard scale.

(2)Where there is insufficient evidence to convict a person of an offence under subsection (1) above, but it is proved that such an offence has been committed on some part of premises belonging to or occupied by that person in such circumstances that it could not have been committed without his knowledge, that person shall be liable on summary conviction to a penalty of level 3 on the standard scale.
Plenty of room there for plausible deniability on the part of an abscentee landlord, but still - it's probably not a good idea to give him a bottle for christmas...
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

In my state you can forfit your property(car, house or otherwise). The city recycles the profits from the auction of the property back into the budget. There are vehicle auctions going on all the time for previously used criminal cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles & just about everything else.

You best set it up so the landowner could possibly not have known about the still or you could have an issue if it ever goes to court. As long as you have your "story" straight you should be fine.
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
mntneer
Novice

Post by mntneer »

It is highly unlikely that it will ever be an issue but the landowner has youngins and doesnt want them to be at risk, and I understand completely.