Calling all Alberta hobby distillers

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Calling all Alberta hobby distillers

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

On Monday afternoon I have a scheduled teleconference with a senior manager of liquor strategy with the AGLC to discuss the current legislation in Alberta pertaining to alcohol production on the hobby scale.

I would love to hear from you fellow albertans.

What questions would you like answered? I can't guarantee I can get all the questions answered, but I can throw a few into my question period.

If made legal, what would be some options for regulation, I was thinking of similar guidelines as we use on the forum, max boiler size, materials etc.

You have til Monday at noon to offer your feed back.

I'd also love to simply hear from all albertans here to get a head count (governments love numbers) if you know of people not on the forum, that also distill, please give me a count the more people I can speak on the behalf of, the better for all of us.

I figured since I'm off work for a bit, I might as well put my time to good use.
Hangover? I don't get no stinking hangover!
coastershiner
Bootlegger

Re: Calling all Alberta hobby distillers

Post by coastershiner »

Very interesting. Just the fact that there will be dialogue with the prov gov is a step in the right direction!
Thank you for sharing, I look forward to hearing how the meeting goes.
-cs
coastershiner
Bootlegger

Post by coastershiner »

Ps I know of 4 home distillers not including myself in ab
coastershiner
Bootlegger

Post by coastershiner »

We could get certified by a course online, like with foodsafe, or a classroom course, like with guns.
I would be happy to pay a fee, make or keep less than a certain amount (possession limit, like fish), keep still locked up like guns, register my stills, buy hd insurance,, pretty much anything to be in compliance.
just brainstorming by my self..
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

coastershiner wrote:We could get certified by a course online, like with foodsafe, or a classroom course, like with guns.
I would be happy to pay a fee, make or keep less than a certain amount (possession limit, like fish), keep still locked up like guns, register my stills, buy hd insurance,, pretty much anything to be in compliance.
just brainstorming by my self..
A course similar to the foodsafe or PAL (firearms) course style would definately be an option I would be discussing. As we all know, it's not quite the same as brewing beer, or making wine, there is a lot more safety involved with this hobby, and that is one of the angles I intend to focus on. The alberta government is huge on safety, and having laws in place to (for lack of a better term) "protect the stupid people" so ensuring that if the hobby is legalized, permitted still operators are trained to a certain degree to practice safe stilling would shine brightly to government officials. (Could call the course "Still Safe", I like the sound of that!)

Keep it coming.
coastershiner
Bootlegger

Post by coastershiner »

Still safe! Thats perfect man
coastershiner
Bootlegger

Post by coastershiner »

Still safe! Thats perfect man.
imagine if we could only use "CSA approved" stills....building them is such a huge part of this hobby to me.
I bet there would be a huge amount of people interested in taking a course in this topic, if it were offered.
CH3CH2OH
Novice

Post by CH3CH2OH »

Sorry, not an Albertan but:

I wouldnt be trying to throw out a bunch of regulation ideas that you might regret later on. Great to start discussions but start with the ideas of legalization and go from there. I have years of experience in dealing with governments and never throw an idea out there that you arent prepared to live with forever!! You will be surprised what ideas stick in the minds of legislators from a conversation you way have had a year or two earlier.

Come at it from the idea of safe hobby distilling and that is where I would leave it at for initial discussions. Before you know it your good intentions could lead to buying your "approved" still spirits t500 plastic still with a 5 gallon max boiler from the bureaucrat in a government run still store who thought it was the best thing out there for the hobbyist. Then paying a registration fee for the still, a per litre production fee, annual license fee, a continuing education class every 2 years, health license, fire supression sprinklers in your garage, ability for the government to enter and do a surprise inspection of your house.....

Dont put unnecessary ideas out there but find simple well thought out solutions to any concerns they raise along they way. Keep it simple, start discussions and grow things from there.

My 2 cents!!
"Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life." - George Bernard Shaw
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

CH3CH2OH wrote:Sorry, not an Albertan but:

I wouldnt be trying to throw out a bunch of regulation ideas that you might regret later on. Great to start discussions but start with the ideas of legalization and go from there. I have years of experience in dealing with governments and never throw an idea out there that you arent prepared to live with forever!! You will be surprised what ideas stick in the minds of legislators from a conversation you way have had a year or two earlier.

Come at it from the idea of safe hobby distilling and that is where I would leave it at for initial discussions. Before you know it your good intentions could lead to buying your "approved" still spirits t500 plastic still with a 5 gallon max boiler from the bureaucrat in a government run still store who thought it was the best thing out there for the hobbyist. Then paying a registration fee for the still, a per litre production fee, annual license fee, a continuing education class every 2 years, health license, fire supression sprinklers in your garage, ability for the government to enter and do a surprise inspection of your house.....

Dont put unnecessary ideas out there but find simple well thought out solutions to any concerns they raise along they way. Keep it simple, start discussions and grow things from there.

My 2 cents!!
Absolutely. But having answers/recommendations to their questions never hurts either.

We definately don't want to suggest regulation so much, more simply providing prerequisites to permitting. (I.e. Basic education on still safety, etc)

Also why I'm reaching out to the actual community for input. I was expecting to be told off, or to be told to come to a hearing somewhere in the future, or a long email back and forth. Instead I was welcomed, and asked to participate in this call on Monday which doesnt to leave much time to prepare. I have some notes, but any further suggestions I am definately taking under advisement.
CH3CH2OH
Novice

Post by CH3CH2OH »

I think it is a great step for you to take.

I was hired to do some lobbying to the alberta government years ago and they kept bringing up misinformation and incorrect ideology that someone had suggested in prior meetings. It was hard to get them to see the light.

Discussion is a great step and congrats for taking the initiative. Just be careful with throwing regulation and restrictive ideas out there. If it goes anywhere, you never know what they will run with.

Offer solid truthful and supprotable infomation and ask for their help in progressing the legalization of the hobby that is already prevelant out there, albeit underground!!
"Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life." - George Bernard Shaw
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

A little over 2 hours to go before my conference call.

Last call for input.
CH3CH2OH
Novice

Post by CH3CH2OH »

How about: "If the wine and beer guys can legally produce an unlimited amount of product for their personal/household consumption, why does it become illegal to make the same wine and beer but remove the excess water and contaminates?"
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

CH3CH2OH wrote:How about: "If the wine and beer guys can legally produce an unlimited amount of product for their personal/household consumption, why does it become illegal to make the same wine and beer but remove the excess water and contaminates?"
The official answer : there are concerns with risks that would need to be addressed to ensure public safety. (in the same sentence they mentioned that some of the risks are "perhaps a little outdated" and "not necessarily valid anymore")

All in all it was a very productive conversation. They were very interested in what I had to say, and I've been invited to participate in the current legislation review which will happen in June.

I addressed the safety concerns, and pitched the idea of creating a "still safe" course which was taken very positively. They mentioned how the craft brewery and cottage winery industry has really taken off because of hobbyists in the respective areas, and agree that implemented correctly the same could be achieved with hobby distillation.

I was told that this is the perfect time for this to come to their attention because they are going to be reviewing the legislation in its entirety, which only happens every decade or so.

Ultimately the board would make the final decision after the review process, but today's conversation was a giant step in the right direction.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

so who did you talk to?

when does the legislators sit to review this?

I'd be happy to piss on some heads too....let me know who where and when I'll be on it like a fat kid on a box of smarties.

i got a few issues with public safety i'd like to discuss too.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
coastershiner
Bootlegger

Post by coastershiner »

Thank you for sharing.
If there is ever a petition going or any other way I can help, im in.
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

HDNB wrote:so who did you talk to?

when does the legislators sit to review this?

I'd be happy to piss on some heads too....let me know who where and when I'll be on it like a fat kid on a box of smarties.

i got a few issues with public safety i'd like to discuss too.

Watch for the media release in June/July, they will issue a request for input.

This is specific to the liquor and gaming legislation so, falling under the aglc jurisdiction, not the leg.

Somehow I don't thing "pissing on heads" is going to get any sort of positive response.
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

I think, before this thread turns into another issue of safety thread, I think I'd like to ask the mods to kindly lock this one.

Feel free to pm me, or send me an email through the control centre. For further discussion of this topic OFF the forum.
johnarms
Novice

Post by johnarms »

thanks for stepping up DNS, you sound like a very good advocate for this hobby.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

You know what they say DNS, post drunk... edit sober.

I'm really not a head pisser.

I am getting more political in my (middle) age. some of the benefits of becoming an old bull includes discretion.

PM me anything or anyone you think i can help on, if you need to. I got a few resources to play with if the need be. I'm ok with this discussion being on the open forum tho...

now i drink for evil.
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by humbledore »

Would love to hear how your CA efforts move forward, hope the thread is not locked. We all might learn something. Good luck.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Spent a bit of time on the AGLC website. found this in the news.
http://www.aglc.gov.ab.ca/pdf/liquor/Cl ... ns2014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
On a brief perusal it seems that they are concerned about the "industry" , "the stakeholders" and that any significant changes are being referred to "the governement" for review.

While they seem to have some interest in opening up the cottage industry, which if you want to be a licensed, for profit small distiller there may be some good news.

I saw zero info on home distillation, or the decriminalization thereof.

Which actually makes sense, since this commission exists at the leisure of the goverment to be an industry watchdog for for "the stakeholders"

I think the key words in that document is "final" recommendations 2014, which to me sounds like the study that was started in 2012 and has been completed...is now water under the bridge. I sincerely doubt there will be a late breaking addendum from them saying "oh wait! We forgot about the home distillers!"

I haven't spoken to anyone, or really dug deep into the process, so i'm talkin' through my hat here... but it seems to me the AGLC will have no interest in supporting the cause, we don't even fit the smallest of their catagory, "cottage". cause we ain't sellin. therefore we ain't makin' them no money. therefore we are a problem.
they also have no say over the real legal obstacle, the excise tax act... which is a federal act.

Not to discourage your noble efforts, and taking the time to open a dialogue with them. I just think yer barkin' up a ded dog's ass.

They do seem to be pretty up on the whole "enforcement" part of their task, so you may want to be somewhat discreet and protect yourself accordingly.

Please keep us posted.

now i drink for evil.
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

HDNB wrote:Spent a bit of time on the AGLC website. found this in the news.
http://www.aglc.gov.ab.ca/pdf/liquor/Cl ... ns2014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
On a brief perusal it seems that they are concerned about the "industry" , "the stakeholders" and that any significant changes are being referred to "the governement" for review.

While they seem to have some interest in opening up the cottage industry, which if you want to be a licensed, for profit small distiller there may be some good news.

I saw zero info on home distillation, or the decriminalization thereof.

Which actually makes sense, since this commission exists at the leisure of the goverment to be an industry watchdog for for "the stakeholders"

I think the key words in that document is "final" recommendations 2014, which to me sounds like the study that was started in 2012 and has been completed...is now water under the bridge. I sincerely doubt there will be a late breaking addendum from them saying "oh wait! We forgot about the home distillers!"

I haven't spoken to anyone, or really dug deep into the process, so i'm talkin' through my hat here... but it seems to me the AGLC will have no interest in supporting the cause, we don't even fit the smallest of their catagory, "cottage". cause we ain't sellin. therefore we ain't makin' them no money. therefore we are a problem.
they also have no say over the real legal obstacle, the excise tax act... which is a federal act.

Not to discourage your noble efforts, and taking the time to open a dialogue with them. I just think yer barkin' up a ded dog's ass.

They do seem to be pretty up on the whole "enforcement" part of their task, so you may want to be somewhat discreet and protect yourself accordingly.

Please keep us posted.
the document you link to is the review which actually made it possible for craft distilleries to exist in Alberta. (I had actually started a thread here while that was happening.) prior to those changes small scale distillation of any sort would have been near impossible due to minimum production levels which no longer exist.

And your right we don't fit into the "cottage" category. But who do you think defines the limits of how much beer, and wine, and spirits you are allowed to produce in your home? Yeah, AGLC. section 86 of the liquor control act which states an adult may produce up to 460L of wine, an adult may produce up to 460L of beer, and that an adult may NOT produce spirits.

The current review i was told is a full review of the aglc legislation in its entirety. As for the excise act I am also working on opening some discussion with the department of finance as well. I have a few leads I am working on, and will update on that as it develops.

And don't worry HDNB, you aren't discouraging me in the slightest. No matter what comes of my discussions, at least I can say I tried, and will continue to try, regardless of how negative you wish to be, there are many of us who are focused on being positive about it.

For the record, I may be a dirty tradesman these days, but I wasn't always. I used to sit behind a desk, pushing paper and stare at a computer screen until 2002. Back then I worked very close with provincial and federal government officials, and had the opportunity to meet, and dine with a number of them. I've met 2 premiers, and 4 mayors. I've played pool with federal and provincial ministers, even had drinks with the prime at the time. Many of them are fun guys to hang out with when the press isn't breathing down their neck. While most (if not all) of those guys aren't in office anymore, I still have a few connections, who I'm working with to try and get conversations with the people that matter instead of some p.r. guy who's job is to get rid of random people trying to bully their way through.

Thanks for your feedback HDNB, I will certainly take it under advisement.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

did i sound negative? if so i apologize profusely.

I was just giving my interpretation of the published document quoted .. which seemed to be very industry-centric, which of course is a very Alberta thing, and it occurred to me that the purpose of the AGLC is to support and bolster the industry in the province.

I got a few personal cell numbers in my phone too...now i'm starting to wonder if we actually know each other!

Like i said, not trying to discourage.... i think (not that it matters) that your efforts are quite noble. Don't take my comments as a personal offront, they are nothing more than observations and comments. if i have an opinion, i'll state it as such.

I did note that it was a brief perusal, i had not spoken with anyone and had not "dug in" with anyone. Frankly i was more concerned with you outing yourself to an organization that had a stated obligation (and preference) for enforcment. Obviously my concerns caution are completely unfounded, you must have taken all appropriate measures to protect yourself from prosecution from this enforcement authority.

now i drink for evil.
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

Yes you did come off a little negative with the dead dogs ass comment, but appology accepted :) (I also appologize for the misinterpretation)

As for my protection, they know my name. But I have not alluded to actually participating in the hobby, simply "representing a group of interested parties with a common interest" (and yes they were sure to remind me that owning or operating a still for the purposes of distilling potable alcohol without a license is illegal)

I have been digging in hardcore, like I said at the beginning, I'm out of work, might as well do something.

For the last couple weeks I've had no less than 6 tabs open on my browser (plus hd) with various acts bills and policies open. There's literally more reading than the novice section. But I enjoy it. If something good comes out of it, then most excellent. If not, there's always next time.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

without question, there is some cynicism in my mind. politicians, police, authority in general = a ded dog's ass. i could type a novel here from personal experience. Barking at it.... is an excerize in futility.

In my cynical closed mind the only thing that will break it, is a charter challenge. someone is going have to be charged, enlist the top defense attornies and take it to the supreme court. a few years in prison, 300, 400,000 in legal fees, it'll go away.

No. I'm not volunteering.

now i drink for evil.
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by humbledore »

If they are seeing the potential economic boom of microbreweries driven by avid homebrewers making their own beers and then going pro, and hundreds of these popping up and employing people and adding to the tax base, then there is a parallel in distilling. After all, someone asked the question here somewhere, where the hell do craft distillers come from? Where do they learn their craft before going pro? Do they pop out of the woodwork being fully knowledgeable and not only that, talented from years of practice? No, many learn underground illegally and that is a barrier to the growth of the industry, and increased employment and tax base that comes with it. And it has a very close parallel in brewing as a recent example staring them in the face. I'm just saying, there are incentives for the government more than we might realize.

Sorry to post again in an Alberta thread.
CH3CH2OH
Novice

Post by CH3CH2OH »

Well said
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

humbledore wrote:If they are seeing the potential economic boom of microbreweries driven by avid homebrewers making their own beers and then going pro, and hundreds of these popping up and employing people and adding to the tax base, then there is a parallel in distilling. After all, someone asked the question here somewhere, where the hell do craft distillers come from? Where do they learn their craft before going pro? Do they pop out of the woodwork being fully knowledgeable and not only that, talented from years of practice? No, many learn underground illegally and that is a barrier to the growth of the industry, and increased employment and tax base that comes with it. And it has a very close parallel in brewing as a recent example staring them in the face. I'm just saying, there are incentives for the government more than we might realize.

Sorry to post again in an Alberta thread.
+1 :clap:
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

Update: just got off the phone with my federal member of (edit: PARLIAMENT). Very positive.

Due to the excise act restrictions on owning/operating a still, I have proposed that they remove the restriction and allow provinces to regulate the same as they currently regulate beer and wine for personal consumption.

He was positive about the proposal, and is forwarding it on to the appropriate ministers in the federal cabinet for review with his support.

I will continue to update as I hear back.
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

Here is the message I sent to my member of parliament, with his letter to the finance minister following.

Excerpt to the MP from me:

------------------

Beer and wine production of limited quantities for personal consumption is a legally practiced hobby for many in Canada. The result of practicing these hobbies has resulted in a fair sized craft brewery and cottage winery industry within our country. Legislation has changed in many provinces to permit craft distilleries to open their doors and enter the market place, however, to date, distillation for personal consumption has not been looked at.

The craft brewing and cottage wine industries are successful in a large part because the people involved were able to develop recipes and products over long periods of time as a hobby, and eventually had a product they felt needed to reach the open market.

The same holds true with spirits. Many of the craft distilleries currently in operation were started by people and families who had an interest in distillation, and perfected a recipe to the point of wanting to bring it to the open market. With one exception. They developed their recipes and techniques in secret. Distillation at the hobby level is not currently a legal practice.

It is my belief that legalization and regulation of distillation at the hobby level would encourage a flourishing craft distillery industry, and bring new and innovative products, and techniques to the marketplace.

The main question being asked in the hobby community is "why? Why can I make up to wine or beer, but I'm not allowed to distill it?"

The short answer is: There are health and safety risks involved with distillation that are not present with production of beer and wine.

While fermentation in itself produces natural impurities and toxins which are found in both beer and wine, the concentration is negligible. Distillation, while effectively concentrating ethanol, also concentrates the impurities and toxins produced during fermentation such as methanol, isopropanol, acetone, and a variety of other higher and lower alcohols generated during fermentation.

In addition, operation of a distillation apparatus (a "still") presents its own risks. Alcohol concentrated during distillation is volatile and flammable. The vapours must be completely condensed during operation, and care must be taken when collecting the resulting alcohol. Stills must be constructed to limit or prevent pressure buildup.

All risks aside, the hobby distillation community is a relatively large community not only in Canada, but globally as well. And interest in the hobby only getting bigger as the craft industry grows. It's important to note that we are not talking about people who are making alcohol for profit. We are talking about a group of people who take pride in creating a product they truly enjoy, that they can take personal pride in. The same as a person who makes their own beer, or wine.

It may cost more, take more time, and it may taste better, or sometimes worse than something bought at a store, but it's something that took time, sweat, skill and pride to create. Unfortunately due to legality issues, hobby distillers are reduced to hiding their passion. Unable to share their passion and experiences outside of their discrete community for fear of being arrested and persecuted. There are currently no feasible method for them to legally practice the hobby short of "going all in" to open a craft distillery.

We allow for craft distilleries now, but there is still no legal process for the people who simply wish to stay at the hobby level, making spirits for their own enjoyment. Further, there are few legal opportunities for one to learn the craft and refine recipes prior to taking the craft distillery step. Positions in commercial distilleries are rare, and usually demand someone with an established track record.

The hobby distillation community believes that public safety is of utmost importance and that the hobby does need to be regulated to ensure the safety of the public.

On the federal level, we would like to see one thing happen.

Amend the federal excise act to allow provincial government to regulate distillation for personal consumption. As with wine and beer, distilled spirits for personal consumption would be exempt from excise fees/taxes.

----------------

letter sent to finance minister from MP (along with a copy of my original message) as a result of my phone conversation with him.
image.jpg
---------------