H.R. 2903 is up to 83 co-sponsors...

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rick Martin
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Phiadelphia Eagles Country (next year Super Bowl bound asusual)

Re: H.R. 2903 is up to 83 co-sponsors...

Post by Rick Martin »

I think it is a great idea. It will get more involved. I plan to talk to my local shop tomorrow. After all it won't hurt to ask.
Water boiling enthusiast

Support the HDA - working to make Home Distilling legal.
https://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Life is an learning experience
Loonytim
Novice

Post by Loonytim »

[quote="Brewhaus"]We have reached out to a number of homebrew shops around the country, and most either ignore our contact or tell us that they have no interest in getting involved. I think that they are concerned about the legality, and want to avoid any involvement for fear of being targeted by the TTB. They surely know that it would boost business, but will not get involved for the aforementioned reason.

-- Ahh, Bummer. Guess being cautious isn't necessarily a bad thing... I have three relatively healthy-growing homebrew shops near me that I know the owners of well. I'll see if there is any interest in spreading the word. We have had several small craft-distillers pop up in the area, so I know locally the interest is there...
Bearded-and-Bored
Novice

Post by Bearded-and-Bored »

Just wondering if anyone knows if HDA has made any progress getting the amendment added to S236 or HR747. I never heard back from my senators, other than a "thank you blah blah" auto-response email. Not sure how my congressman will respond, but he is on the ways and means committee. It'd be nice to get this behind us.
"Never rub another man's rhubarb!" - Jack Napier
fortbuilder825
Novice

Post by fortbuilder825 »

Got a reply from our Congressman:
April 5, 2017

Dear Mr. Xxxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting me to express your support of H.R. 2903, the Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Act. As a cosponsor of this bill, I share your support for reforming the taxation of alcoholic beverages.

H.R. 2903 will benefit Wyoming’s economy and create jobs by allowing breweries, wineries, and home distilleries to invest more of their capital into their businesses. Please be assured that I will continue working to move this bill through the legislative process.

Again, I appreciate your thoughts and concerns and it is an honor to represent you in Congress. Your suggestions are always welcome, please don’t hesitate to contact me by phone at 307-772-2595 or through my website (http://www.cheney.house.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow) or on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/replizcheney/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/Rep_LizCheney" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow).

Sincerely,

Liz Cheney
Member of Congress
Rick Martin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rick Martin »

fortbuilder825 wrote:Got a reply from our Congressman:
April 5, 2017

Dear Mr. Xxxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting me to express your support of H.R. 2903, the Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Act. As a cosponsor of this bill, I share your support for reforming the taxation of alcoholic beverages.

H.R. 2903 will benefit Wyoming’s economy and create jobs by allowing breweries, wineries, and home distilleries to invest more of their capital into their businesses. Please be assured that I will continue working to move this bill through the legislative process.

Again, I appreciate your thoughts and concerns and it is an honor to represent you in Congress. Your suggestions are always welcome, please don’t hesitate to contact me by phone at 307-772-2595 or through my website (http://www.cheney.house.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow) or on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/replizcheney/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/Rep_LizCheney" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow).

Sincerely,

Liz Cheney
Member of Congress

That was a nice surprise.
Water boiling enthusiast

https://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Nice, but the key problem for us is that the provision for home distilling isn't in this years version of the bill.
Rick Martin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rick Martin »

Is it going in the right direction?
Water boiling enthusiast

Bearded-and-Bored
Novice

Rick Martin wrote:Is it going in the right direction?
Yes, as far as having growing bipartisan support in both houses. Senate cosponsor count is up to 32, and the House cosponsor count is up to 119. But there is still no amendment to legalize home distilling on either HR747 or S236. It's a small business bill that brings tax fairness to smaller alcohol producers without penalizing big producers. That will definitely increase growth and jobs for the economy. Not a tough sell.

But so far, nobody is willing to stick their neck out again by amending it. It was almost a throw-away section in the last bill that didn't really draw much attention to itself. Seems like they could use the exact same language from the previous drafts, so I'm not sure what the issue is. It's possible they are waiting until the cosponsor count gets higher before they add the amendment, but that is just me guessing/praying.

I'm by NO means qualified to theorize on politics, but I gotta pass the time somehow :D Does anybody have any other news?
Rick Martin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rick Martin »

Thank you for the update. I don't read the news to much bullshit. You insight helps a lot. When did the last bill get the needed additions? I will assume late also. What you reported sound great. Please keep us updated.

Rick
Water boiling enthusiast

nickbbb
Bootlegger

Post by nickbbb »

Brewhaus said they had to cut lobiest due to lack of membership / member dues / money.
Bearded-and-Bored
Novice

nickbbb wrote:Brewhaus said they had to cut lobiest due to lack of membership / member dues / money.
Wait....what? When did he say that? I totally missed it.

*Edit - Seriously, I can't find anything in comments, facebook or the HDA website about dropping the lobbyist. When did this happen? If this is true, do we have any other options?
Last edited by Bearded-and-Bored on Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Martin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rick Martin »

nickbbb wrote:Brewhaus said they had to cut lobiest due to lack of membership / member dues / money.
That is also news to me too. I would expect them to make the announcement themselves.
Water boiling enthusiast

Bearded-and-Bored
Novice

That's what I would expect too.
Brewhaus
Swill Maker

Post by Brewhaus »

Back in January I mentioned that I would not be able to continue funding the majority of the HDA's costs (which are just the cost of the lobbyist). We have since brought in less than $4000, and shelled out $9000. None of the other producers / distributors are sharing in the cost, so all shortfall is covered by Brewhaus. We have other commitments, and while I am happy to continue helping fund the HDA, I cannot continue to carry the majority of the cost.

I was planning to make a formal announcement of it this week. It was supposed to take place back in January, but we did see an increase in memberships, so I wanted to see if that would hold. It quickly waned, and we are back into the same situation.

We will continue to push for legalization, but will have to stop working with the lobbyist. That was the driving force that got us so close the last time, but we need membership funds to continue to pay them. I have been considering whether we should continue to offer memberships so that we can build an account that will cover the lobbyist for an extended period (maybe a year), which will then allow us to re-engage.

Your input can help us find the best path forward from this point on.

Rick
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Brewhaus wrote:Back in January I mentioned that I would not be able to continue funding the majority of the HDA's costs (which are just the cost of the lobbyist). We have since brought in less than $4000, and shelled out $9000. None of the other producers / distributors are sharing in the cost, so all shortfall is covered by Brewhaus. We have other commitments, and while I am happy to continue helping fund the HDA, I cannot continue to carry the majority of the cost.

I was planning to make a formal announcement of it this week. It was supposed to take place back in January, but we did see an increase in memberships, so I wanted to see if that would hold. It quickly waned, and we are back into the same situation.

We will continue to push for legalization, but will have to stop working with the lobbyist. That was the driving force that got us so close the last time, but we need membership funds to continue to pay them. I have been considering whether we should continue to offer memberships so that we can build an account that will cover the lobbyist for an extended period (maybe a year), which will then allow us to re-engage.

Your input can help us find the best path forward from this point on.

Rick
Rick, I truly appreciate your efforts.
However I have to admit I am disappointed.
I jumped in with a multi year membership in hopes that others would do likewise, and it sounds like some did.
Not enough though.
Are there any other ways of raising funds for the cause?
I believe there was some sort of crowdfunding effort, did that go nowhere?
<edit>
Ok just noticed the GoFundMe is at $655 of $30K.
Not great.
Maybe I can find a bit more to give.

<edit again>
Can't donate to the gofundme campaign.
It says there's an issue and you need to log in to fix it.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Brewhaus
Swill Maker

Post by Brewhaus »

We only brought in $655 on the GoFundMe effort. Not very effective.

I am also very disappointed. If I had not believed that we could see this through then I would not have invested so much to the effort. The HDA can still be active, but honestly, the lobbyist was the difference. He is how we got in the door with the TTB, Treasury, Senate Finance, and onto the previous bills. He is trying to set up a conference call between Senate Finance, Sen. McConnell, KDA, DISCUS, and the HDA. He has committed to seeing that through even without funding, so it will be our last big push unless we can get more funding.

Please, if anyone has any ideas, let us know, either here or by contacting me directly. We want to continue the push as we have, but need funding to do so.

And remember, worst case scenario, just because we don't get onto a bill with such similarities (alcohol taxation), it does not mean that we cannot take the fight back up. Home brewing was part of an un-related omnibus tax bill when it passed.

Rick
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

This really is a huge investment opportunity for those situated to take advantage of it. Passage will lead to an upsurge of home distillers, at least in the early years. Did Homebrewers, homebrewing, or craft breweries put ANY of the big beer companies out of business? I can't think of any....(albeit I'm not thinking hard...)

If this passes in the states.... how long until other countries follow suit. We're just following on the coattails of the NZ guys anyway...we need to catch up! :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Bearded-and-Bored
Novice

Well...crap. I'm sorry to hear that Rick, but I completely understand. Thank you for the massive amount of work and massive amount of cash you dumped into this effort. I'm sorry the investment didn't pay off yet, but I hope it will in the near future. Just let us know how we can help.
Rick Martin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rick Martin »

Bearded-and-Bored wrote:Well...crap. I'm sorry to hear that Rick, but I completely understand. Thank you for the massive amount of work and massive amount of cash you dumped into this effort. I'm sorry the investment didn't pay off yet, but I hope it will in the near future. Just let us know how we can help.
I second that. Thanks
Water boiling enthusiast

Bearded-and-Bored
Novice

I just can't understand why none of the other still manufacturers/sellers would help out. If I had a still company, or was an equipment seller I'd have jumped in with both feet. The minute it's legal you have literally millions of potential new customers. It boggles my mind why Hillbilly Stills, Clawhammer and others weren't shouting from the roof tops for their customers to join the effort to legalize and handing cash to the lobbyist. What was the reasoning behind the lack of support? Probably can't say, but I'm curious.
Brewhaus
Swill Maker

Post by Brewhaus »

Ultimately, I think that the reason none of them participated was because they knew that they would reap just as many rewards if they left us to fund it as they would by helping to fund it. Why spend the money if someone else is willing to, I guess. I cannot speak for them, but that is the feeling that I got. It is unfortunate, as together we could have kept this fight going, and likely strengthened the push.

Rick
Rick Martin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rick Martin »

Brewhaus wrote:Ultimately, I think that the reason none of them participated was because they knew that they would reap just as many rewards if they left us to fund it as they would by helping to fund it. Why spend the money if someone else is willing to, I guess. I cannot speak for them, but that is the feeling that I got. It is unfortunate, as together we could have kept this fight going, and likely strengthened the push.

Rick
I am afraid that is the choice many people take on many subjects. It is sad but true. If the ignorant would realize that helping makes things faster and sure to happen.

Rick
Water boiling enthusiast

Bearded-and-Bored
Novice

That's really messed up. At the very least they should have all had banners on their websites directing every customer to the HDA. A simple banner saying "Legalize Hobby Distilling. Join the HDA". That simple thing could drive tons of traffic to the HDA site. Currently none of the sites listed on the HDA supporters page have anything on their own websites mentioning the effort to legalize. Why not? Where is the logic in not even mentioning it?

I know most of you guys build your own, but if there are any members here on HD who are customers of the other still makers (for parts, ingredients or whole stills) I suggest you let them know what you want them to do, just like congressional representatives. Send them letters to let them know what the current situation is and that you want them to pitch in... now. Legalization needs to be brought into mainstream awareness. For that we need support outside our own group. If the other manufacturers and sellers just talk about it with their customers instead of ignore it, we can get membership up.

If somebody can draft a universal form letter to send to manufactures, parts suppliers, ingredients suppliers, etc. please post it so we can try that and see if it'll get traction. We're low on options so we need to start reaching out for help.

I can only speak for myself, but if none of them are willing to support the effort today, they obviously don't want my business in the future.
nickbbb
Bootlegger

Post by nickbbb »

I talked to Emmitt at clawhammer supply today. They have been on board since day one and members since day one. They are going to try to contact brewhaus for a follow up interview to the one they did last year. They are totally willing to help push the info out and trying to get new members!
Bearded-and-Bored
Novice

Awesome!!!
Bearded-and-Bored
Novice

If anybody has connections with some of the big names in homebrewing (any of the guys that do popular brewing podcasts or how-to channels) see if you can hook Rick up with some interviews to spread the word.
Spidey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Spidey »

I just joined HDA with a 5 year membership. We need more people to support this effort before it dies. I've been doing so much research on the process of distilling that I just noticed this thread. Please donate and support those businesses donating time and money to this process.
Please support the Home Distillers Association!
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

if only 1/2 the members here joined HDA, it would pay for the lobbyists. Doesn't seem to much to pony up
Brewhaus
Swill Maker

Post by Brewhaus »

To help the HDA build up funds we have created a store at Cafe Press (http://www.cafepress.com/hobbydistillersassociation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow). The profit will go into the HDA's fund so that we can hopefully get started back up with the lobbyist. We also still have the GoFundMe page (https://www.gofundme.com/federally-lega ... distilling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow), and, of course, memberships and donations directly from our website (http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow).

Rick
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Good idea Rick. I need a new hip flask anyway. Guess I'll buy it from here.