H.R. 2903 is up to 83 co-sponsors...

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SouthTexasShine
Novice

Re: H.R. 2903 is up to 83 co-sponsors...

Post by SouthTexasShine »

I saw that the tax law that was just signed included a lot of what HR 2903 included. Was any of the home distilling language included?

https://whiskycast.com/distillers-cheer ... m-changes/
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

SouthTexasShine wrote:I saw that the tax law that was just signed included a lot of what HR 2903 included. Was any of the home distilling language included?

https://whiskycast.com/distillers-cheer ... m-changes/
Doesn't look like it: S.236 - Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Act of 2017 . This is a copy of the Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Act of 2017 that the article mentioned was "folded in". It had nothing regarding home distilling. I still think the way to go is at the individual state level. Considering we had reps from multiple states it seems more feasible. IMHO. :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Bearded-and-Bored
Novice

Post by Bearded-and-Bored »

I just read about it too. http://www.myrecordjournal.com/News/Sta ... taxes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

If I had a brewery or distillery I'd be over the moon about the new tax rules, but right now I'm pretty deflated. I just did a quick read through of the new tax bill's relevant sections (pages 520-531). No mention of home distilling, but notably the rules regarding home brewing and wine making are very clearly in there. Here's the link if you want to check it out. https://www.congress.gov/115/crpt/hrpt4 ... rpt466.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow Looks like they left us out entirely. There was an awful lot of paper shuffling going on, so it could have been slipped in there easily, but without someone to remind them (or push them) to add it at the last minute it just got left out...again. Without the lobbyist to shoe horn it into someone's additions nobody was going to just do us the favor.

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems like this was another missed opportunity. It just looked like chaos from the outside, so it is a complete surprise to me that they got the language from the Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Act added in the first place. Unless we get a miracle in the form of a late addition during the "fixes" they plan to make next year I think we're back at square one. I should stop posting when I'm depressed. Sorry guys.
"Never rub another man's rhubarb!" - Jack Napier
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Wheres Rick or Tom at with a update.u
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
RaymieDubbs
Novice

Post by RaymieDubbs »

So nothing in the bill about distilling specifically but is there a possibility TTB will be less funded? I was just on their website and they have a banner at the top specifically talking about the tax act. Less funding = less heat from the TTB?
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

RaymieDubbs wrote:So nothing in the bill about distilling specifically but is there a possibility TTB will be less funded? I was just on their website and they have a banner at the top specifically talking about the tax act. Less funding = less heat from the TTB?
Thats a plausible statement.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Interesting thought!
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

RaymieDubbs wrote:So nothing in the bill about distilling specifically but is there a possibility TTB will be less funded? I was just on their website and they have a banner at the top specifically talking about the tax act. Less funding = less heat from the TTB?
Soooo our best chance at home distilling in peace is government apathy...? I'll take it! :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."