Making our own documentery

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Making our own documentery

Post by shadylane »

WooTeck wrote:we should do our own documentary. try and sell it to vice or someone all profits going to the legalization process.
WooTeck started the Idea, so don't blame me :lol:
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Making our own documentery

Post by shadylane »

Points that should be made are.
1. We can make up to 200 gallons of beer and wine a year, but it's illegal to purify it with distillation.
Haus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Haus »

So what is a reasonable amount for distillation for "personal use"?
Think about the numbers per 365 days and still be considered casual drinking.
5 750ml per gallon.
In all honesty, I think even if it did come to pass, 10-15 gallons tops, roughly a 1/5th a week as "personal use".
you can lead a horse to water but it's hard as hell to drown it
Plaincrazy
Swill Maker

Post by Plaincrazy »

I know everyone will hate me for bringing up that show but...
Seems everything I see new on that "moonshiners" show I have seen here on HD already, rice shine, two boilers to one thumber, etc...
Seems some one is cashing in already, more like a "mockumentary" though :silent:
There appears to be an inverse relationship between tangible distilling problems and possible drinking problems...
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Making our own documentary is probably a pipe dream, but we need to talk about what needs to be said and how to say it.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Instead of purifying I prefer the term dehydrating.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Can I be Tickle?

tp
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

You goin Bona fide and gonna make this
before then? Think I'd be skittish in the credit lines.

So I'm tole
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

It would only fly as a one time documentary unlike Moonshiners as mentioned above we would not have enough drama. Telling the truth about safety and responsibility it would never become a series but might get more followers online if they new the truth about distilling.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I like the idea of a real documentary that shows we focus on safety and making better alcohol than we can buy. The why we do it. Maybe the number of people doing this, the number of stills being sold to normal people, the legalization efforts, the poisoning of people by the government to make people think that home distilling is not safe. Talk about the minuscule size of our stills, 25 gallons is more of a nano still than a micro still when micro is considered less than 40,000 gallons a year. As far as amounts, while we generally feel it is a bad idea, it is technically possible and legal for us to make a wine that is 20% ABV. So 200 gallons/20% equals 40 gallons of distillate a year. Granted cuts are made which reduce that but even after cuts it comes to around 40 proof gallons a year or 200 bottles, not even a bottle a week but I can go down to the store and legally buy as many bottles as I want every single day. If I want to buy 2,3,4 bottles a day nobody would stop me. A real documentary could go a long way towards legalization efforts but may not have enough of the outlaw fantasy idea people want to believe.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I am not skilled with a video camera but if someone wants to document my corner of the world then I am ready and willing to open up.

VICE would likely do it and make a great doc. Someone might want to consider emailing them.
MyUncleMo
Swill Maker

Post by MyUncleMo »

It's possible to do a grassroots Doc with everybody in their own little still house somewhere...

1. Come up with the script.
2. Assign a "segment" to whichever member is best fit to provide the video and proper advise.
3. Each member shoots their own segment.
4. Somebody skilled to string them together in any digi moviemaker application such as iMovie or Adobe Premier etc.
5. Include a Narrator to use to transition the segments into one intellectual factual piece that makes the point the community is looking to make. Whatever that may be...
6. Add some banjo pickin' :crazy: background music and release it on iTunes!

Bingo bango! There is your Doc.

Watch any Discovery channel or History channel show like History of Booze or How to: Bacardi Factory and see the format and try to emulate that in your segment.

Ok - discuss :relaxed:
My Uncke Mo taught me how to make apple Jack when I was in 6th Grade.

Questions? Read this first...
http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 15&t=52975
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Good suggestions coming in here. I would be willing to do a little how-to type clip, with some personal ramblings about the how and why I do it. No faces...
I don't know how to do the video part, but my kids do. I'm sure we have the resources here on this forum to pull something like this off.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

My name, location, and face is already public so I dont really have any reservations personally. Lets do this!
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

What UncleMo suggests is exactly how the beer hobbyists made their short video "I am a homebrewer". That method seemed to work pretty well.

http://youtu.be/xwy6XMN30CA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Im in. List me as Jimbo in the credits, nothing more. I could do a bit on Apples to Brandy, or maybe Bourbon on a Budget. Or maybe Single Malt Simplicity.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

Such an effort "might" be best aired on the internet, rather than attempting to get it on T.V.
How one causes something to go viral, I know nothing about such things.

A well done you tube video that leads to a documentary of 30 to 60 minutes. . . might be the ticket

Coyote
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Jimbo wrote:Im in. List me as Jimbo in the credits, nothing more. I could do a bit on Apples to Brandy, or maybe Bourbon on a Budget. Or maybe Single Malt Simplicity.
Yep, I think getting it out there that we're not just making bathtub gin, that we are actually making the full range of spirits, and doing it quite well. Show the diversity of what folks are doing.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
BaxtersDad
Swill Maker

Post by BaxtersDad »

I am fairly skilled with Final Cut Pro X, which is the next step up (a BIG step!) from iMovie. I would be glad to do the video editing.

I can do what you see in the homebrewers' video, every bit of it.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Perhaps a section on building, safety, testing and, cleaning. Making your own fittings and big diameter pipe from small diameter pipe. I think fabrication should be a part of it so nobody says stills are made from lead pipe jb weld and old used car radiators.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Monkey masks!

I kin do an oaking segment.

tp
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

I think it's a great idea, sub'd!
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Just a couple of thoughts.
Is a documentary in our best interest? In other words, is it better to be low profile while Uncle Sam is thinking about legalizing us?
Something else to think about, when the law changes, the media will want a story.
I'd prefer it was truthful and accurate.
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

Truthful and accurate depiction of our hobby may be what nudges the laws in our favor.
BaxtersDad
Swill Maker

Post by BaxtersDad »

OK, somebody should outline ideas for a script. This kind of needs to be one or two people, too many cooks spoil the broth.

I think simple rather than detailed would be better, but who knows? This should not be about how to build a still or how to run a still but rather that a lot of people, more than anybody realizes, are already distilling a wide variety of alcoholic beverages, that they are doing so safely and successfully, but that they unfortunately have to do so clandestinely due to the current legal situation, and that it time for Congress and the states to legalize small scale home distilling, putting it on equal footing with home winemaking and homebrewing.

Then, assuming there is consensus on a script, assign segments for shooting, should be shot with DSLRs with a separate sound recording because camera audio is so piss poor.

We should use a Dropbox folder accessible by everyone involved in the production, for posting the clips and successive versions of the editedl video. I have collaborated on a music video with people in Washington, Maryland and Alabama, so I know how it works!
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

I'm not sure how many of us have DSLR cameras and boom mikes. I think it might get kinda boring running on a script of a couple guys just saying over and over I make whiskey vodka rum gin whatever and its illegal. Without some sections of running and some explanations people will disengage due to not understanding. People don't realize that ten gallons of wash in means less than 1/2 gallon of good drinking stock out after several months of aging.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

BaxtersDad wrote:OK, somebody should outline ideas for a script. This kind of needs to be one or two people, too many cooks spoil the broth.

I think simple rather than detailed would be better, but who knows? This should not be about how to build a still or how to run a still but rather that a lot of people, more than anybody realizes, are already distilling a wide variety of alcoholic beverages, that they are doing so safely and successfully, but that they unfortunately have to do so clandestinely due to the current legal situation, and that it time for Congress and the states to legalize small scale home distilling, putting it on equal footing with home winemaking and homebrewing.

Then, assuming there is consensus on a script, assign segments for shooting, should be shot with DSLRs with a separate sound recording because camera audio is so piss poor.

We should use a Dropbox folder accessible by everyone involved in the production, for posting the clips and successive versions of the editedl video. I have collaborated on a music video with people in Washington, Maryland and Alabama, so I know how it works!
+1 I was thinking the same thing. We need to show that not just hillbillies in the backwoods do this but also virtually every kind of person.
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

Coyote wrote:Such an effort "might" be best aired on the internet, rather than attempting to get it on T.V.
How one causes something to go viral, I know nothing about such things.

A well done you tube video that leads to a documentary of 30 to 60 minutes. . . might be the ticket

Coyote
I think you hit it on the head. When it's all said and done we can get it plastered all over the net and continue to share.

I think this would be a great thing to help push the legalization effort and even get Brewhaus and others onboard that have been fighting for a while.
MyUncleMo
Swill Maker

Post by MyUncleMo »

"I am a home distiller... and this is what I do!"
10 minutes from everybody should put together a nice piece.
The big Question is WHAT is the message and WHO do you want to see it.
My Uncke Mo taught me how to make apple Jack when I was in 6th Grade.

Questions? Read this first...
http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 15&t=52975
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

shadylane wrote:Just a couple of thoughts.
Is a documentary in our best interest? In other words, is it better to be low profile while Uncle Sam is thinking about legalizing us?
Something else to think about, when the law changes, the media will want a story.
I'd prefer it was truthful and accurate.
Love the idea and I believe Shadylane has a point. Any possibility that the idea could be discussed with the folks in HDA or the group involved with HR 2903 and S.1562? Maybe they could get the message across.
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."