New Jersey Law

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Alcas74
Novice

New Jersey Law

Post by Alcas74 »

I’ve been searching the internet about Fed and Jersey laws about owning a still. I want to do it by the book. I’ve read somewhere that unless ur producing spirits you do not have to register it. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: New Jersey Law

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Jersey ain't allow to have a still period. So, go legal or join the crowd.

There's a thread in the legalize forum that has links to all the states. I'll see if I can find it.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Alcas74
Novice

Post by Alcas74 »

I want to have one legally only if it’s possible, if not I’ll stick to beer and wine. This is what I was able to find but it’s alittle confusing. Questions are. Are you allowed to have one registered if you plan distilling water, making essential oils or even making vinegar. Are you allowed to get a license for craft purposes?

:Is owning a still illegal according to New Jersey Moonshine laws?
No it is not illegal but according to 33:2-10, failure to register still is illegal and is regarded as a misdemeanor:

Possession of a still or distilling apparatus without having registered it shall be regarded as a misdemeanor, and a fine of not less than one hundred dollars and not more than one thousand dollars or imprisonment for not less than thirty days and not more than three years, or both, shall be levied.

What are the New Jersey state laws regarding distilling craft alcohol?
According to 33:1-10.3d :
In 2013 the state legalized the distilling of craft alcohol and issued the first plenary distilling license. The fee for a Craft License is $938; distillers are limited to 20,000 gallons per year and must use at least 51% local raw materials in the distillation process. Only 3 samples (of one half ounce per sample) per person per calendar day may be offered for sampling purposes only. Only 5 liters may be sold for off-premises consumption.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Please re-read ShineonCrazyDiamond's answer.
You can finagle and justify all you want. But if you're caught, don't expect wiggling the law to protect you much.

This site is for those of us who are anonymously wishing to safely distill, share experiences, have a laugh, etc.
If you keep a low profile and don't sell or advertise, you can expect to be left unmolested.
We all (except those lucky New Zealanders, where it's legal) justify this activity to some extent.

You can join this illegal hobby and its low-catch risk, opt out, or strictly follow the licensing law as an otherwise respectable citizen.

It really boils down to that choice.
And no one here can make it for you.
Last edited by Still Life on Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Stick it to the man!
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Alcas74
Novice

Post by Alcas74 »

Still Life wrote:Please re-read ShineonCrazyDiamond's answer.
You can finagle and justify all you want. But if you're caught, don't expect wiggling the law to protect you much.

This site is for those of us who are anonymously wishing to safely distill, share experiences, have a laugh, etc.
If you keep a low profile and don't sell or advertise, you can expect to be left unmolested.
We all (except those lucky New Zealanders, where it's legal) justify this activity to some extent.

You can join this illegal hobby and its low-catch risk, opt out, or strictly follow the licensing law as an otherwise respectable citizen.

It really boils down to that choice.
And no one here can make it for you.
Thanks for the response. I’m going to look into lincesing if available if not opt out and enjoy doing my beer and wine. I was trying to understand the bill that Chris Christie passed about artisan craft. Here is the link to the article. Hopefully a step in the right direction.

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2013 ... o_law.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

It's concerned with craft distilling for govt taxed legal sales. Not craft distilling for personal use.

Deo Vendice

Alcas74
Novice

Post by Alcas74 »

jb-texshine wrote:It's concerned with craft distilling for govt taxed legal sales. Not craft distilling for personal use.
Ok. Thanks.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

jb-texshine wrote:It's concerned with craft distilling for govt taxed legal sales. Not craft distilling for personal use.
:thumbup:

Yep. I'm a NY metro man myself. This law was to help compete with NY farm distilling laws. They have laws that help farms be able to supplement with distilling for their crops, just like the way they did that got all this distilling started in America in the first place. Anyways, they have such good programs, that he had to get something similar to gain tax share of the booming craft liquor movement.

You still have to pay on the federal level to be a legal craft distiller, so don't think you can become a 'legal' home distiller by simply paying the $938 State license fee.

Ah, if only.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

If you really feel the need to be quasi legal check out a fuel ethanol permit. It don't allow for drinking though.

Deo Vendice

TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Alcas74 wrote:I’ve been searching the internet about Fed and Jersey laws about owning a still. I want to do it by the book. I’ve read somewhere that unless ur producing spirits you do not have to register it. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks.
I am a NOOB.
This "Hobby" is definitely not for everyone. I can't even say 100% that it is for me long term .

While I certainly enjoy the camaraderie it is a lot of work and legally, no one here seems confused. It is what it is.

As an alternative, I ASSuME it's legal to buy vodka's and other neutrals such as White Dog and age and play with the flavors.

But as for the whole deal, all due respect, doesn't sound like this "hobby" is for you.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Bamaberry wrote: But as for the whole deal, all due respect, doesn't sound like this "hobby" is for you.
Bam, the Op didn't seem to be looking for opinion on what's best for him or not. The choices are laid out for him, and we put some legal facts for him to decide for himself. We all have that same responsibility. He will make his.
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

Bamaberry wrote: As an alternative, I ASSuME it's legal to buy vodka's and other neutrals such as White Dog and age and play with the flavors.
You assume correctly. Once legally purchased, the government doesn't care how you age, flavor, or aulterate alcohol unless you resell it, give it to minors, or use it to poison someone.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I assume the law in USA works the same as in Australia.
It wouldn't matter if a State said distilling was legal, that law would be over-ridden by the federal law that says, no, you may not distil.

Geoff
The Baker
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Yeah that might get tricky in OZ as actually it is suppose to be the other way around but seems less and less so. I grew up in a state where certain herbs were more or less legal/decriminalized. Things were like that for many years then the eastern states and feds started leaning on them to conform to their laws. Took a few years chipping away a lot of pressure and a bit of blackmail got it done as it has in many other areas of regulations.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin