Gin

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Genever
Novice

Gin

Post by Genever »

I am new to the forum, but do not recall any posts on the unique situation for Gin production (my current interest).
Few of the major sources of Gin actually make their own mash. They purchase grain alcohol, dilute it to about 45%, and then re-distill it through botanicals to flavor it.
So in my case I would:
• Purchase tax-paid vodka
• Re-distill it through the botanicals, one handle at a time
• Consume it myself
So at the risk of trying to apply logic to the law, why would the state or nation care if I flavor my Vodka with botanicals rather than with a Coke? (rhetorical question!)
• Taxes are already paid
• Safety is secured as no fermentation takes place so no heavy or light molecular weight alcohols are produced, and 1.75 l of alcohol presents no great risk of fire as even if the reflux column had a severe leak which was ignited, the flame would be smaller than a burner on my gas cooking range, on low. The flame would burn cleanly, with the risk of asphyxiation lower than using Sterno to heat serving trays.
• It is not sold to others
OK, I know that I have introduced a still to the process which might require registration in Illinois or Ohio, but I also work in Missouri and could place it there.
So how long is the list of illogical requirements?
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Gin

Post by Danespirit »

I don't know the US laws, but as far as I know, running a still without a permit is illegal everywhere.
I really don't think the men of law cares about the fact you legally bought the vodka for the production.
However, as you are new in here please share a picture of your equipment with us.
Please never underestimate the vapors produced by a still. One has to be alert every time a distilling is taking place...regardless if it's just a stripping run.
The vapors produced are heavier than air...so a combustible mixture might develop on the ground long before you smell anything. Just a word of caution.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

link is below fr a pic
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

Re-distilling is distillation. The law doesn't care what percent alcohol you start with - whether 8% mash or 80 proof spirits. Local laws will allow or not.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Genever wrote:I am new to the forum, but do not recall any posts on the unique situation for Gin production (my current interest).
Few of the major sources of Gin actually make their own mash. They purchase grain alcohol, dilute it to about 45%, and then re-distill it through botanicals to flavor it.
So in my case I would:
• Purchase tax-paid vodka
• Re-distill it through the botanicals, one handle at a time
• Consume it myself
If you are going to run and drink, why bother with the still?
I assume you want to either determine your own "botanicals bill" and/or cut out heads & tails.
My understanding is that re-distillation mainly serves to stop the flavoring.
Before I would go to that trouble, I think I would just buy Everclear (190/151 proof) do the maceration, then dilute and drink.
Only problem would be determining how much botanicals if you are going to dilute to half (?)
Answer to that would be trial and error. And hey if we didn't like to experiment we wouldn't be here would we?
Anyway, as an alternative, here's a fairly simple and concise video:

:thumbup: