Legal Production in Washington State

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

hotmaildotcom1
Novice

Legal Production in Washington State

Post by hotmaildotcom1 »

I have been doing some reading as to just how much one might have to dish out in to make sure that my hobby isn't seen as criminal action by anyone on the state level. I'm sure that the answer is simply "too much," but just poking around online I haven't actually been able to find that.

Just for some info I live in WA state next to a county with a considerable craft distilling scene. As I've been poking around on the forum I keep seeing WA pop up as a state that seems to have a high tolerance to the development of craft distilleries at a fairly reasonable cost. I was wondering if one of the many pros on here have actually gone through these hoops and can point out many of the fine-print costs that I might be missing. After reading through a couple posts like this(viewtopic.php?f=49&t=69147&p=7524078&hi ... t#p7524078) I was realizing that it might be possible to fork out maybe a couple hundred bucks to be able to actually talk about one of my favorite things conversationally, rather than behind closed door and on forums.

In that link Cranky references (http://canyoncreekfarms.blogspot.com/se ... -results=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow) a fine lady who seems to have gone through a similar deal to what I am thinking of. Just getting the licenses to do it, while never really attempting to cash in on anything. Just an insurance policy to make sure you're up-to-snuff and no one is going to break your door down or start throwing out $1000 fines.

It seems to me like someone just needs to apply for a business license (http://bls.dor.wa.gov/forms/700028.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow) (about $24) and then go ahead and do the paper home distiller application for your craft license (another $100). However, as someone who has never even thought of owning a business I have no idea what hidden yearly costs are associated with such things. Largely because the business would be simply as a technicality to the second permit, I am having some difficulties finding people with first hand experience on what that might end up costing a guy.

Anyone have any advise, suggestions, stories, or anything that might push a guy in the right direction? Not looking to sell or tell, just asking some questions.
amdamgraham
Bootlegger

Re: Legal Production in Washington State

Post by amdamgraham »

I have looked into this a lot and may pursue a commercial operation in the future. It is not for the faint of heart and it is not cheap to start a distillery. That being said, if we all listened to the nay-sayers, we'd never do anything so...

Keep in mind that the Federal government doesn't care about state laws, they care about Federal laws.

With your non-distilling distiller idea, I think you will likely hit a roadblock in the paperwork where it asks you for the DSP address. Without an address in a designated industrial or approved rural area you are not going to get anywhere. Lastly, if you are thinking of opening a distillery some of the biggest expenses are incurred going through the process. In order to have a DSP address, you need to show you have a rental agreement or ownership. That location has to pass inspections etc, so basically, before you can distill a drop and sell anything you have to buy all the equipment, have it installed in an approved DSP, have it inspected and all this time while you are waiting you pay rent (if you don't own the DSP) on the property until such time as you are approved. Then... start filling out detailed paperwork on every drop you produce.
hotmaildotcom1
Novice

Post by hotmaildotcom1 »

Exactly the type of stuff I was looking for.

I imagine that's not quite the thing a lot of landlords are looking forward to, so buying a house is certainly a financial requirement to say the least. Your suggestion also turned me on to this little checklist which in itself is almost useless but it does have quite a few useful legal keywords and chapter section numbers which I am investigating right now (https://lcb.wa.gov/publications/MIW/CRA ... 052510.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow).

Some more reading into the zoning and building inspections has turned up quite a few stories about people who have achieved all of the local and federal permit requirements, just have to have fire marshal turn up six months later and require that they need a full rework of the sprinkler systems within the building. Seems like much more large scale issues though than some guy that just would like a few carboys and a still to be legally within a mile of each other. More questions I guess for my next trip down to the craft distillery.

Crazy to think though that in WA I could grow dope at my house if I was so inclined but a guy can't even make himself some drink if it's above a certain ABV.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

As mentioned above you essentially set up,the business, then apply for licenses. It really is best to get all the local approvals first, then apply for your dsp, then state. Figure 1-2 years to get there.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I spoke to the owner of a distillery in wa. state and he was looking to move the operation from wa. to a

different state for undisclosed reasons. (hinted at taxes) He has since sold the distillery. do your homework.

getting what you wish for is not always in your best interest. as stated by many race car owners.

"you make a small fortune in racing by starting with a large fortune"
be water my friend
hotmaildotcom1
Novice

Post by hotmaildotcom1 »

Yeah it was one of those things where it seemed too easy to be correct and it most certainly was. The more reading I do on it the more your last comment becomes the reality of the situation. In order to even think about getting that kinda setup you already have to be very well off. Still I'll try and continue to collect the info just for the purposes of compiling it, maybe just to see how high the barrier really is.
EagleCliffs
Novice

Post by EagleCliffs »

The rumor is persistent. No hobby distilling is permitted anywhere in the U.S. You must have a federal permit before you can get a state permit. No one will allow you to distill in a residence or anyplace connected to a residence. Fines could be extensive if you get caught, it's a fire safety issue.
The best way to make small amounts of liquor is to get a fuel permit, but you are not allowed to legally drink that.
DSP-WA-15069
BamaBill
Novice

Post by BamaBill »

I think Bill Clinton said it best whenever he stated don't ask, don't tell. I'm just following the advice given by the highest office in the land.
But, it sure would be cool to be able to do it legit.