Legalization now

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Legalization now

Post by Yonder »

Y'all need to get off your pocket books, stop bein' complacent an put up a solid front for legalization. Pint's predicament should ring an alarm bell for you. Goddamnit he's a good ole boy just making for hisself and maybe teaching others, no indication of of a commercial activity an he's jammemed up. Why? Cause the the law is on the books and the law found it. We, as a group, as honest men an women need to say that's enough.we are artisan distillers, not fuckin' "bootleggers" from the 20's. We have, as a group, higher standards than commercial distillers. Get behind the cause and contribute, write letters, speak up. This shit has gotta quit!
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Legalization now

Post by Fiddleford »

I have been thinking of having a stand of something like this in a while, in my area us distillers are either to far and few between or just in hiding. I think the biggest thing driving nothing changing is when people think of home distillation they think of "Moonshine makes you go blind" or I've heard this one which hurts a little "I'm not a fucking deadbeat who can't afford the shelve stuff". I even talked to cops about it who say its unsafe cause you could "blow-up " or "make to much wood alcohol in your product" which are a possibility, but that comes from lack of education on a subject. A big thing I see would be for the General Public to see home spirits are safe though big distilleries won't like that. It's a tradition that needs to be recognized as safe
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Fiddleford wrote:............... I even talked to cops about it who say its unsafe cause you could "blow-up " or "make to much wood alcohol in your product" which are a possibility, but that comes from lack of education on a subject. A big thing I see would be for the General Public to see home spirits are safe though big distilleries won't like that. It's a tradition that needs to be recognized as safe
There is a thread on "Urban Myths" where they tried to blow up a still ! They couldn't do it without cheating !

[even then, they couldn't blow the still up, they had to cut the cooling completely, fill a building with all the draughts sealed to a calculated vapour density with the ethanol vapour and introduce an ignition source - the still was unharmed]

"Too much wood alcohol " - Sorry mate that is simply NOT a "possibility" - Full stop ! Education, no education or even deliberately trying to do so - YOU CAN'T !

Hellfire - if even our own people are believing this crap - how can we ever fight agin it ? especially when we can't do so from "Hiding" ?
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

The feds don't care squat about people accidentally blowing themseves up or burnin their own barn to the ground, either. The thing is, the federal laws that keep you from hobby distilling are about the government gettin their tax money on your product. We need ta get the legalization effort back on track and contribute some cash to the effort. Is it really worth saving a few dollars, when the law can arrest you cause they saw your rig while investigating a complaint of burglary, fire, or trespass? If you ain't selling your product, they should be no more concerned with your whisky than they are with home brew or wine making. We just have to get this done!
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

Pikey wrote:
Fiddleford wrote:............... I even talked to cops about it who say its unsafe cause you could "blow-up " or "make to much wood alcohol in your product" which are a possibility, but that comes from lack of education on a subject. A big thing I see would be for the General Public to see home spirits are safe though big distilleries won't like that. It's a tradition that needs to be recognized as safe
There is a thread on "Urban Myths" where they tried to blow up a still ! They couldn't do it without cheating !

[even then, they couldn't blow the still up, they had to cut the cooling completely, fill a building with all the draughts sealed to a calculated vapour density with the ethanol vapour and introduce an ignition source - the still was unharmed]

"Too much wood alcohol " - Sorry mate that is simply NOT a "possibility" - Full stop ! Education, no education or even deliberately trying to do so - YOU CAN'T !

Hellfire - if even our own people are believing this crap - how can we ever fight agin it ? especially when we can't do so from "Hiding" ?
I don't believe any of this, these are just common tales I hear time and time again. The part of the possibility I don't know what I was thinking when I put that up there I never seen a still blow and never seen so much fores that I should be concerned. What I was trying to say is it will be easier to get the craft legalized if these myths were put to bed and the General Public knew it was safe. That show we all know of don't help a tonne.
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I think the problem for law enforcement here in the US is, as soon as you change the law for the hobby you give truly illegal distillers a loop hole, that a good lawyer could drag a team of horses though. This wasn't a problem at home, illegal distillers were something I don't ever remember hearing about, so the change was a lot easier. In the time I've lived here I've met three truly "BIG" bootleggers...the biggest in south Jersey.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

Story behind Pint?
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

butterpants wrote:Story behind Pint?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=72033
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

Thanks Fiz
Desolus
Novice

Post by Desolus »

Might I suggest that we make this a social media thing? Make a Facebook page, get the Facebook page put on the header of all the distilling forums, redits, homebrewing websites, discord groups etc.

7 degrees of seperation is all that is between us knowing and everyone knowing. For Christ's sake a fucking dance with shit music from some crap little island goes viral every other weekend it seems...

If you are serious about getting it done, then get'er done. This, like all politics is simply an advertising game.

Phrases like 8$ a gollon for top shelf liquor tend to grab attention for instance.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

I suck at writing letters, so I found THIS SAMPLE for a Congressman.
I will write my 3rd district Congressman Blaine Luetkemeyer this week in the matter of Home Distillation Legalization.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

You want to know where all the negitives about moonshiners is comein from?

Look in the mirror.

Y'all didn't invent work ethic nor
pride in your product nor quality.

This is full contact. Slip up an you gonna
make the news fellas.

Yall want to make a stand? He'll I wish
you the best. All y'all from the south the
law don't play fair once they get a sent.

I hate it for pint but he made it easy on em.
Out in the open fair as a goats ass.

So I'm tole
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Desolus wrote:Might I suggest that we make this a social media thing? Make a Facebook page, get the Facebook page put on the header of all the distilling forums, redits, homebrewing websites, discord groups etc.

How do we do that ? :?
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Desvio »

Looking back at the cannabis laws and what happened to that with several states who legalized it on a state level, but yet it's still federally illegal, and the amounts you are allowed to grow or hold are clearly within personal use. Many of the states that legalized cannabis are also pretty slack when it comes to witch-hunting the home distiller, which usually ends up as a secondary charge to the main investigation being meth or other narcotics.

So if one of the easier states could get soemthing past lawmakers to end up on a ballot, would set the stage. But that's a double edged sword for the person(s) who initiate that, all of a sudden you're drawing a lot of attention and all eyes are turned towards you, and the opposers will do what it takes to shut you up as fast as they can and make an example of you before it ever makes it to a vote.
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.
Desolus
Novice

Post by Desolus »

Well I've got the discord groups pretty well handled as I'm friends with most all of the owners of the various homebrewing/drinking discords.

As for the Reddit communities I can get in touch with those people if need be. Though it would be more attractive to those guys if we had a Facebook page with a few thousand likes.

The homebrewing websites should be easy enough most have contact info somewhere in the page and if that falls you can get an email from the domain registration.

The distilling forums is where I'd kindly ask the staff here to take over because I know none of those people.

As for actually putting the link in a page header, that's some easy scripting right there and I'd be happy to assist if needed.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

goose eye wrote:You want to know where all the negitives about moonshiners is comein from?
Pint is in the predicament of his own making, by pissing off someone somewhere..

When you check google map on his Artisan Resources address (421 Stanley Dr, Shepherdsville,Ky ), what you get is a place in the bush, no normal building show up at that location, which indicates that some type of game what being played, either with his tax reporting or what not, as it was stated that they were watching him out..

As for lobbying on facebook, please don't use that platform, as it is in to much trouble as it is..

The trouble as I see it is, if you want to satisfy your ego, give to your family members and friends, and someday it will bite you.. so keep your ego in check, and the law will leave you alone.. the law always know what is going on within their jurisdiction, but are not there to trouble you if you stay quit, unless someone gives a call..

Just my two cents as I see it..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Desolus
Novice

Post by Desolus »

StillerBoy wrote:As for lobbying on facebook, please don't use that platform, as it is in to much trouble as it is..
Care to elaborate on why Facebook is a bad idea? The way I see it the real problem here is a complete lack of control as far as the narrative goes. What is worse than not controlling the narrative?
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Desolus wrote:Well I've got the discord groups pretty well handled as I'm friends with most all of the owners of the various homebrewing/drinking discords.

As for the Reddit communities I can get in touch with those people if need be. Though it would be more attractive to those guys if we had a Facebook page with a few thousand likes.

The homebrewing websites should be easy enough most have contact info somewhere in the page and if that falls you can get an email from the domain registration.

The distilling forums is where I'd kindly ask the staff here to take over because I know none of those people.

As for actually putting the link in a page header, that's some easy scripting right there and I'd be happy to assist if needed.
My question was pretty simple - "How do we do that " ?

[Edit - wtf is a "drinking discord" ? :roll: :? ]
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Desolus wrote:Care to elaborate on why Facebook is a bad idea?
How are going to control the input from people, or what will be stated by people.. that is the major problem with facebook.. No control, and that is not what is wanted on the subject of raising awareness..

As for lobbying the government on making a change to something.. none of us here have enough funds available to do such, plus it is a subject that the present government has no interest in.. yes, lots of lip service, but that all..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Fivey
Bootlegger

Post by Fivey »

Pikey wrote:
[Edit - wtf is a "drinking discord" ? :roll: :? ]
Discord is a chat app, initially set up for gamers to interact, but also widely used for other interest groups. (Businesses tend to use a commercial version called Slack.) You can create your own virtual 'server' where you can discuss whatever you want, and then you 'invite' people to chat on the server.
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Those damn laws are from an ancient time.
What happened to US, happened also to Canada, and that's crap.

They're spending millions in "education" against drink and drive but there are still many people driving drunk. They get arrested and nothing, they are free to kill.
They can not make it legal, they will loose so much. Here you gotta pay big bucks to be legal and even with that, you have to sell to the board and only to the board.
If you have a product that's good, you can't sell it unless they say you can sell to the board.
The board makes big bucks, it's hundreds of millions.
Federal state do has it's own tax too but it's nothing compared to the provinces boards.

They're about to make weed legal country wide and allow people to grow their own, but some provinces won't allow it, just to make cash.
Do you think the mafia will stop making weed ? Really ? We got stupid A$$holes in the government who gave licences to their friends, and only to their close friend even before they made it public.
We even had a minister trying to justify no growing at home because children could fall in the plants, chew them and die ! Yes really !

Shine would be the same, they'll invent all kind of lies pretending home made alcool is noxious when made at home.
Who stills without knowing the basics here ?
We are all here because we care about the quality.
I heard many urban legends about stilling at home by people not knowing anything about the art.

So yes it's should be legal and a right to distill at home, not for resale, for own consumption only like it is for beer or wine.
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

cede wrote:Those damn laws are from an ancient time.
What happened to US, happened also to Canada, and that's crap.

They're spending millions in "education" against drink and drive but there are still many people driving drunk. They get arrested and nothing, they are free to kill.
They can not make it legal, they will loose so much. Here you gotta pay big bucks to be legal and even with that, you have to sell to the board and only to the board.
If you have a product that's good, you can't sell it unless they say you can sell to the board.
The board makes big bucks, it's hundreds of millions.
Federal state do has it's own tax too but it's nothing compared to the provinces boards.

They're about to make weed legal country wide and allow people to grow their own, but some provinces won't allow it, just to make cash.
Do you think the mafia will stop making weed ? Really ? We got stupid A$$holes in the government who gave licences to their friends, and only to their close friend even before they made it public.
We even had a minister trying to justify no growing at home because children could fall in the plants, chew them and die ! Yes really !

Shine would be the same, they'll invent all kind of lies pretending home made alcool is noxious when made at home.
Who stills without knowing the basics here ?
We are all here because we care about the quality.
I heard many urban legends about stilling at home by people not knowing anything about the art.

So yes it's should be legal and a right to distill at home, not for resale, for own consumption only like it is for beer or wine.
Well put
I just came outta school 4 years ago
Shoulda seen the shit they were advertising for people not to drink
Won't get into that
the LC is damn strict with what they let through, Don't know what its like in other provinces
We all got our reasons for legal, alot are shared
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

There's both power and safety in numbers. Join the homedistillers association and contribute a few dollars to the cause. Keep the pressure on at both state and federal levels. Get our lobbyists back to work on the Hill . Damn it this can happen.this NEEDS to happen.
Desolus
Novice

Post by Desolus »

StillerBoy wrote:
Desolus wrote:Care to elaborate on why Facebook is a bad idea?
How are going to control the input from people, or what will be stated by people.. that is the major problem with facebook.. No control, and that is not what is wanted on the subject of raising awareness..
Mars
Well, that's not really how social media works. You post a message in the form of a picture, people who agree also post it to their pages, and the cycle continues. People who do not agree with your message have to take time out of their day to post a comment that no one will actually read. Because people have the attention span of a goldfish and literally can't read for more than 2 seconds at a time.
amdamgraham
Bootlegger

Post by amdamgraham »

Contributing to HD is definitely a good idea as is writing to your own representatives because legalization had bipartisan support from, as I recall, 51 representatives on the Craft Modernization bill. it is likely that legalization was supported by your representative. You can ask your representative, "do you want this to happen in your district?" Unfortunately for Pintoshine, Kentucky and a few other states did not support the home distillation component of the bill and for reasons unknown to me, that element was removed from the bill - even with so much active and published backing. Perhaps a well-funded GoFundMe for his defense would speak volumes for Pintoshine and the cause in general.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Desolus wrote:
............. People who do not agree with your message have to take time out of their day to post a comment that no one will actually read. Because people have the attention span of a goldfish and literally can't read for more than 2 seconds at a time.
Sadly I agree with that comment - That is why disinformation gets the "Believers" chanting "Groupthink" - like "it make you go blind" and that dumb vid we saw on another thread where the geezer drank 2 litres of 80% abv in 2 hours and was "feeling a bit unwell due to Methanol poisoning" !

It is sad that the "groupthinkists" have already got a Western World believing that "CO2 = Global Warming" at phenominal cost and disruption to all our lives......

Maybe Desolus - actually does have a point here with the Facebook and other sites ?
Desolus
Novice

Post by Desolus »

Memes are the new way people educate themselves about litteraly everything... This is why people are actually getting more stupid.

We need to control the memes, thou who havith thy memes ist in the boss chair.
steelmb
Swill Maker

Post by steelmb »

goose eye wrote:...I hate it for pint but he made it easy on em.

So I'm tole
Truth is I am sure that more than 95% on here make it easy on them. The internet is not as anonymous as most people figure.
I believe MCH may have said it best. "It's your hooch, you get to choose."
Ding Dong
http://w.homedistiller.org/forum/viewto ... =7&t=66849
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

steelmb wrote:
goose eye wrote:...I hate it for pint but he made it easy on em.

So I'm tole
Truth is I am sure that more than 95% on here make it easy on them. The internet is not as anonymous as most people figure.
I like tor for that, though I do state where I'm from that's where I'm a little dumb. Even a VPN Isn't safe, don't remember how it works but I know where I'm from if they wanted to find you and had a VPN your under they could get you. If you wanted to remain as anon as possible use a burner device in internet cafes and use tor or things similar
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

As I stated before, I am NOT a letter writer. Especially in matters of seriousness and importance.
But I drafted this to my 3rd District Representative, and as brief and to the point as I could.
Any suggestions on revision?
Legalization-Blain Luetkemeyer.JPG