Rum from sugar beets

Alcohol is an inexpensive, clean and renewable fuel source.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kitchenmonkey
Novice

Rum from sugar beets

Post by kitchenmonkey »

has anybody had any experience making ETOH with sugar beets? As you can tell from my posts, I live where there are lots of beets, beans, and aspen and I am eager to start making my own alcohol. Thanks for your patience with the new guy.
You miss every shot you don't take
Marionette
Novice

Post by Marionette »

If you can read French, there is a book on fermenting sugar beet and jerusalem artichoke:
FRITSCH J. et E. Guillemin,

Culture et distillation de la betterave et du topinambour d'après les procédés les plus nouveaux,

Paris, 1889
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

the info might be pritty old in that book :?
can you still buy it? looks interesting for when i have some time (in lets say 40 years :o )

using sugarbeets is in fact not very difficult, you do not need to malt.

chop your beets in peaces, throw it in water, heat it, and if you want you can filter it. cool add yeast and let ferment, you might add some nutrients and/or acid.
-you can also try it whitout heating.
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
Marionette
Novice

Post by Marionette »

http://www.livre-rare-book.com/cgi-bin/lrbcgi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Search there for "FRITSCH J. et E. Guillemin"
manu de hanoi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re:

Post by manu de hanoi »

stoker wrote:the info might be pritty old in that book :?
So is the idea, an excellent (french) detailled source on the beet processing for alcohol :

http://fairesagnole.eu/page60/files/Dis ... et.pdf.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Re: Rum from sugar beets

Post by Uncle Jesse »

sugar beets are a very common source of ethanol. I've never heard of them being used for beverage alcohol but they're one of the common feedstocks for fuel.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
vajravarahi
Bootlegger

Post by vajravarahi »

I've ben told sugar beets used in Europe a lot for making neutral base. That can be used in making other liquors (gin, absinthe) and liqueurs. We have NGS here, they have NBS there. :D
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

From what I can tell it can be used for making neutrals only ------The reason it isn't recommended is that the beats, unlike the cane, are incredibly high in alkalies (salts). The molasses, in turn, is similarly high in salt and possesses an absolutely foul taste. Most of the molasses generated in sugar production from beets is mixed with alfalfa and turned into feed for cattle and other livestock.
manu de hanoi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Re:

Post by manu de hanoi »

manu de hanoi wrote:
stoker wrote:the info might be pritty old in that book :?
So is the idea, an excellent (french) detailled source on the beet processing for alcohol :

http://fairesagnole.eu/page60/files/Dis ... et.pdf.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
oh sorry i thouh you mean making industrial alcohol from beet.

Barbet mentions that it is very difficult to remove some bad taste from the beet and that the alcohol must be very pure.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

do not know seems to be scattered :? if he is making fuel it certainly could be dun (taste would not be a factor) but for drink not advisable
stinkypete
Novice

Post by stinkypete »

very disappointing my good serbian friend has been quizing me on this as he has an abundant supply of mollasess from sugar beet for very little cost , was hoping to get a different answer but oh well , maybe it could be a better alternative for biofuel production ?
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

beet molasses is very low in sugar,they remove much more than they do cane.
crazybean
Novice

Post by crazybean »

stinkypete wrote:very disappointing my good serbian friend has been quizing me on this as he has an abundant supply of mollasess from sugar beet for very little cost , was hoping to get a different answer but oh well , maybe it could be a better alternative for biofuel production ?
Use it for growing reishi mushroons