Making more methanol then ethanol?

Alcohol is an inexpensive, clean and renewable fuel source.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bluejay
Novice

Making more methanol then ethanol?

Post by bluejay »

Hello I have started distilling for fuel as I produce alot of electricity from solar so it makes sense. I run a very nutritious mash and have decent yields with no water. I run a 13 gallon rez to cool the reflux so I have NO sweating to contaminate.. I noticed the tail end of whats left that comes out smells but will not light? any ideas? Is there a way to ferment different to get more fuel use than drinking. NO ONE will ever drink my product,its fuel..
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: Making more methanol then ethanol?

Post by LWTCS »

The fellers on the fuel sights are like better at answering this type of question. What are you fermenting now?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

It's natural for the tails (what comes off in the end) to drop off in ABV. That's distilling 101. Even if you got your ferment to a higher ABV. The tails would still fall off. You can't get all the alcohol out of it.

I to would like to know what your fermenting? And what you are using for a still. What ABV is it giving you. And what you are using the fuel for?
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
bluejay
Novice

Post by bluejay »

Molasses,liquid amino acids,lots of white sugar,300ppm of nitrates.. No clue on the amount,,just started,burns pure blue..scientist background.. will burn it for heat and add to the e85 I run in my sunfire with HHO and a O2 EFI..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alqn5HavcL8 small reflux..insulated the pot and the neck whick I packed with bronze wool)
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

50% ABV will burn blue. Don't think I would add to much 50% ABV to my gas tank.

How much is a gal of fuel costing you to make?

What kind of reflux still?
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

You need to stop what you are doing and start doing some intense research before proceeding... If you don't you are destined to damage some expensive equipment... You need to know a lot more about what you are doing than you know now if you want to make fuel ethanol... It needs to be as high in purity as you can get because whatever isn't alcohol is primarily water... And acetone... And methanol... And . . . . You also need some measuring equipment that you don't have yet need... Like a hydrometer and an alcoholmeter for starters... And you may even need some chemical desiccant to remove more water that the distillation process doesn't...

Slow down... Do your research... We can't spoon feed you as fast as you need information... And we don't spoon feed to begin with as it leaves you in a dangerous state of ignorance... Ignorance simply meaning having the ability to learn but not having yet done so...
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

rad14701 wrote:You need to stop what you are doing and start doing some intense research before proceeding... If you don't you are destined to damage some expensive equipment... You need to know a lot more about what you are doing than you know now if you want to make fuel ethanol... It needs to be as high in purity as you can get because whatever isn't alcohol is primarily water... And acetone... And methanol... And . . . . You also need some measuring equipment that you don't have yet need... Like a hydrometer and an alcoholmeter for starters... And you may even need some chemical desiccant to remove more water that the distillation process doesn't...

Slow down... Do your research... We can't spoon feed you as fast as you need information... And we don't spoon feed to begin with as it leaves you in a dangerous state of ignorance... Ignorance simply meaning having the ability to learn but not having yet done so...

Indeed!
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
bluejay
Novice

Post by bluejay »

fruit pectin people,,apples are high in it when young..Need to use solar energy to cook it out for your mash