use ethanol as a component of bio-fuel

Alcohol is an inexpensive, clean and renewable fuel source.

Moderator: Site Moderator

orrisd92
Novice

use ethanol as a component of bio-fuel

Post by orrisd92 »

ok since many who burn alcohol as fuel use it as either a marine fuel for stoves , or in converted gasoline engines ill skip all that and get to what i wanted to discuss using ethanol made from waste materials in the production of bio-fuels.

ive been working on making biodiesel for a few years now learning everything i can, and have found that while not as efficient ,you can use ethanol in place of methanol when converting the oil .

it needs to be as pure as possible and cheap as possible so as to be worth it , but in there lies a hidden beauty , we can make shine out of damn-near anything.

im working at the moment here to figure out what i need to do to turn many lbs of sunflower meal into a usable feedstock for making shine,that way the sunflower will have been used to its absolute max potential,

imagine this you have a good bit of dull land where not much other than weeds want to grow, plant it high with black oil sunflowers , and place a hive of honey bees on the property, while your at it plant a garden

this way the sunflowers will bloom turning that ugly dead land into a productive area , the bees go nuts over sunflowers , they themselves will pollinate the garden , and produce honey, and wax, from the sunflowers you get the stalks and several pounds of seeds per flower(1-2) , and from the seeds you get aprox 3 oz oil per lb ,if you use the sunflower meal yet to make ethanol are left with basically no wast and nothing invested but a few bucks for the first round of seed and the bees and garden ,

it all comes down to using all of what you have available to maximize yields if done right you can save a good deal of money and harvest a significant product the sunflower meal, and stalks were complete waste products until now , and it doesnt have to be related done to this extent it can be done with anything , scraps from when making pies , the peels of apples , table scraps , use you imagination. anyway this post has taken enough turns , and at some point may have gotten side tracked point is ethanol can be made form anything vaugly sugar rich , so it is such a shame not to use it to its full potential
kungpo
Novice

Re: use ethanol as a component of bio-fuel

Post by kungpo »

Sounds very interesting but how do you intend to convert the cellulose in the sunflower stalks etc into Ethanol? I did a little research which suggests a fungal enzyme, genetically modified yeast strains or some other nasty chemicals
orrisd92
Novice

Post by orrisd92 »

thats why i came here , get a bit more insight into how people who distill a lot more often than I, go about the routine.

then i pick up the nasty chems and get to work
orrisd92
Novice

Post by orrisd92 »

my still is a steam powered vacuum still , using solar to run the vacuum pump , i live out in the boonies so getting free firewood is as easy as stepping twenty steps out the door ,