Simplest high-proof reflux setup?

Alcohol is an inexpensive, clean and renewable fuel source.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Simplest high-proof reflux setup?

Post by Yummyrum »

drmiller100 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:18 pm Have you tried marbles? Has anyone here tried them besides me?
My first still I bought from HBS had a single Marble in it :ebiggrin:
Could pull average of 70% from a 18% turbo wash :think:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have not used marbles but have read on the forum a number of members that have and I would have to agree with SCD. They are heavy and less effective. I would think they would also be more expensive than other forms of packing. Someone posted using marble like items from a place like Marbles that are used for crafts but not sure how good they are.
search.php?keywords=Marbles+as+packing
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

drmiller100 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:18 pm Have you tried marbles? Has anyone here tried them besides me?
I've experimented using different sizes of marbles, 8, 11, and 13mm size, and the 8mm will produce 95% ABV, but at a much slower rate of take than 1/4" lava rocks, using the same columns size and length..

Here's the issue with most members quoting their usage of packing, they fail to state their setup, and column size and length they are referring too, as these items provide different results..

Marbles are good if one wants to run a reflux column in hybrid mode for favored such as rum or whiskey's..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

drmiller100 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:18 pm
ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:49 am Others are correct. Marbles are out dated and heavy, and lower effectiveness compared to others. Lava rock has been shown to be just as effective as even spp (probably the gold standard from what I've read). Sure, you can be successful with marbles, but they are far from the best, and most people no longer recommend them as first choice.
Have you tried marbles? Has anyone here tried them besides me?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49735&sid=541f22c81 ... 62edfdfb88
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

drmiller100 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:18 pm
Have you tried marbles? Has anyone here tried them besides me?
Yes. I have used marbles for packing a 2" column below a CCVM head with a 2" take off port. I believe the marbles were 1/2" diameter. I have since switched to and prefer to use crushed lava rock. The lava was sized through a 1/2" wire mesh and the smaller bits removed with a 1/4" wire mesh.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

another take on marbles viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30727&start=570#p7712875
be water my friend
drmiller100
Rumrunner

Post by drmiller100 »

StillerBoy wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:53 am
I've experimented using different sizes of marbles, 8, 11, and 13mm size, and the 8mm will produce 95% ABV, but at a much slower rate of take than 1/4" lava rocks, using the same columns size and length..

Here's the issue with most members quoting their usage of packing, they fail to state their setup, and column size and length they are referring too, as these items provide different results..

Marbles are good if one wants to run a reflux column in hybrid mode for favored such as rum or whiskey's..

Mars
What is your column height and diameter? How much heat?

8 mm is 5/16 and is bigger than your 1/4 inch. I would guess your 1/4 inch is on a fairly small, low powered column. 1/4 inch would plug on my setups.

I'm running 2 inch at about 2000 watts and 3 inch at 4000 watts, both with 36 inch tall columns.
Now I know how you claim azeo so easy, it's based on a meat thermometer. :lol:
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

drmiller100 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:30 am What is your column height and diameter? How much heat?
My main column size is 2 x 35", and the power range used during a reflux run is between 11 - 12 amp on a 240v 5500w element, which equate about between 2200 - 2800w.. the lower range is at the start, and as the depletion occur, power is increased..
drmiller100 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:30 am I would guess your 1/4 inch is on a fairly small, low powered column. 1/4 inch would plug on my setups.
My rocks are an average size of 3/16 - 5/16", with the majority being about 1/4".. I also have a setup of rocks that are below the 3/16" size, and run basically at the same power range with no issues.. I don't use them that often cause of the issue of having to load the column first some larger rock so that the rock holder can handle them, and the results are very similar, but they work well in a 1.5" column of similar size length..

If you are running at the 2000w range, you are under performing the unit.. meaning that either your condenser is not able to handle the extra power, or you have no means of seeing where the limit is.. this is where a slight glass atop of the packing help in seeing and being able to manage maximum power relative to refluxing..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
drmiller100
Rumrunner

Post by drmiller100 »

StillerBoy wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:46 pm
drmiller100 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:30 am What is your column height and diameter? How much heat?
My main column size is 2 x 35", and the power range used during a reflux run is between 11 - 12 amp on a 240v 5500w element, which equate about between 2200 - 2800w.. the lower range is at the start, and as the depletion occur, power is increased..
drmiller100 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:30 am I would guess your 1/4 inch is on a fairly small, low powered column. 1/4 inch would plug on my setups.
My rocks are an average size of 3/16 - 5/16", with the majority being about 1/4".. I also have a setup of rocks that are below the 3/16" size, and run basically at the same power range with no issues.. I don't use them that often cause of the issue of having to load the column first some larger rock so that the rock holder can handle them, and the results are very similar, but they work well in a 1.5" column of similar size length..

If you are running at the 2000w range, you are under performing the unit.. meaning that either your condenser is not able to handle the extra power, or you have no means of seeing where the limit is.. this is where a slight glass atop of the packing help in seeing and being able to manage maximum power relative to refluxing..

Mars
11 amps 240 volts is 2600 watts. 12 amps is 2900.

For a 2 inch column that seems ridulous to me for any packing.

Also, I figure out what power my column will handle at azeo and run it there. Why run it slower than you have to?

Yes you have to reduce product as time goes by but decent design and that can be also almost automatic
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

drmiller100 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:26 pm For a 2 inch column that seems ridulous to me for any packing.
You're welcome anytime to supervise the unit in operation, as seem to be of the view that I'm misleading you..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
drmiller100
Rumrunner

Post by drmiller100 »

StillerBoy wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:53 pm
drmiller100 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:26 pm For a 2 inch column that seems ridulous to me for any packing.
You're welcome anytime to supervise the unit in operation, as seem to be of the view that I'm misleading you..

Mars
Perhaps you don't really have the full 240 volts? Is your controller current limiting or voltage limiting?
If you are voltage limiting, and measuring amps, then the voltage will be well under 240 volts and you'll be around 2000 watts.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

drmiller100 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:10 pm Perhaps you don't really have the full 240 volts? Is your controller current limiting or voltage limiting?
Non of the above.. pure 240V as per the approved meters used in the industry..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

st3vski wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:23 pm

I plan to make a fuel still.......that needs to reach at least 180 proof consistently. The boiler will be a 50 gallon steel drum, and the condenser will be a worm inside a drum filled with water. My issue at the moment is what type of design to pick for the column.
Since you plan to use a worm inside a drum.
How do you plan to cool the reflux condenser?