Any electricians?

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PeoplesPastor
Novice

Any electricians?

Post by PeoplesPastor »

Just a shot in the dark but Has anyone wired up an all American ale works motor to a QS-60 drum switch? It’s got me stumped. The motor will be plenty to grind all I need but I can’t figure out how to get it to hook up so that I can go in reverse in case I have a jam.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Re: Any electricians?

Post by The Baker »

PeoplesPastor wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:13 pm Just a shot in the dark but Has anyone wired up an all American ale works motor to a QS-60 drum switch? It’s got me stumped. The motor will be plenty to grind all I need but I can’t figure out how to get it to hook up so that I can go in reverse in case I have a jam.
Can you have a fitting to insert a 'crank handle' (like the olden days cars) so that you can clear a jam manually?
Not changing the electrics...

Geoff
The Baker
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I'm not sober enough to give you an answer :lol:
Here's some info for folks that might want to try.

https://allamericanaleworks.com/pages/info-faq

Gear motor single phase AC, capacitor start / capacitor run, reversible, 110 Volt or 220 Volt

PeoplesPastor
Novice

Post by PeoplesPastor »

shadylane wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:11 pm I'm not sober enough to give you an answer :lol:
Here's some info for folks that might want to try.

https://allamericanaleworks.com/pages/info-faq

Gear motor single phase AC, capacitor start / capacitor run, reversible, 110 Volt or 220 Volt

Actually contacted them and didn’t know how to connect it to the drum switch but told me the wiring in the junction box
Butch27
Swill Maker

Post by Butch27 »

So the motor has 4 wires? Did they tell you which two wires need to be swapped to reverse the motor? I don't have one of those switches handy and it's been awhile. Can you post a couple pics of it?
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

be water my friend
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

PeoplesPastor wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:13 pm Just a shot in the dark but Has anyone wired up an all American ale works motor to a QS-60 drum switch? It’s got me stumped.
Are you going to run it on 120v or 240
Do you already have the motor?
If so, take the cover off where the wires connect and take a pic.
Look on the backside of the cover, there's likely to be a diagram for the motor.

Once we know what the motor needs, we can see if that particular switch can do it.
Last edited by shadylane on Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

That drum switch is meant for a 3 phase motor
PeoplesPastor
Novice

Post by PeoplesPastor »

Butch27 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:51 pm So the motor has 4 wires? Did they tell you which two wires need to be swapped to reverse the motor? I don't have one of those switches handy and it's been awhile. Can you post a couple pics of it?
4 wires, I know which needs to switch just not able to get it to work no matter how I wire it.
PeoplesPastor
Novice

Post by PeoplesPastor »

shadylane wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:44 pm
That drum switch is meant for a 3 phase motor
Yeah it is, thy sell it on the same website as well. I was unaware when buying it. I am just running 110v and may just go to a simple on off switch until I want to spend the money on a different drum switch. Just seeing if I can get this one to work so I don’t have to do that at all
PeoplesPastor
Novice

Post by PeoplesPastor »

That is the switch. I have 4 leads coming from my motor plus the ground of course. Hot, neutral, a, b for ease. To switch the motor direction A and B have to switch between the two others
Butch27
Swill Maker

Post by Butch27 »

PeoplesPastor wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:53 pm That is the switch. I have 4 leads coming from my motor plus the ground of course. Hot, neutral, a, b for ease. To switch the motor direction A and B have to switch between the two others
Ok, i will take a stab at this since no one else is stepping up to the plate.
image.png
image.png (56.62 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
There are 6 terminals. Starting at the top left and going down I will call them 1, 2 and 3, then top right going down, 4, 5 and 6. I am talking about the terminals that are shown with wires connecting to them. We are going to ignore the other 4 terminals.

You will need 4 wires coming from the motor to the switch plus a ground for safety will make 5. the mains will have 2 wires (hot and neutral) plus a ground makes 3.

Connect the hot from the mains to terminal 1 on the switch and put a jumper from terminal 1 to terminal 2.
Connect the neutral from the mains to terminal 3.
A and B will be removed from the hot and neutral terminals in the motor and wired directly into the switch.
Connect the hot from the motor to terminal 4 on the switch.
Connect the neutral from the motor to terminal 3 on the switch.
Connect A from the motor to terminal 5 on the switch.
Connect B from the motor to terminal 6 on the switch.
Of course the ground wire should connect to the chassis on both the switch and the motor.

If for some reason you want the motor to go a certain direction when the lever is moved a certain direction and it is backwards, swap the wires on terminals 5 and 6.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I'm not electrician but only a hobbyist, I think you need a bipolar diverter with central zero. In the washing machine induction engine I used this method. A photo or engine scheme would help a lot.
Modification: I was turning a little to understand the type of engine I found this perhaps would help https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/wi ... ll.544265/
This of videos that could help
PeoplesPastor
Novice

Post by PeoplesPastor »

Butch27 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:58 pm
PeoplesPastor wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:53 pm That is the switch. I have 4 leads coming from my motor plus the ground of course. Hot, neutral, a, b for ease. To switch the motor direction A and B have to switch between the two others
Ok, i will take a stab at this since no one else is stepping up to the plate.

image.png

There are 6 terminals. Starting at the top left and going down I will call them 1, 2 and 3, then top right going down, 4, 5 and 6. I am talking about the terminals that are shown with wires connecting to them. We are going to ignore the other 4 terminals.

You will need 4 wires coming from the motor to the switch plus a ground for safety will make 5. the mains will have 2 wires (hot and neutral) plus a ground makes 3.

Connect the hot from the mains to terminal 1 on the switch and put a jumper from terminal 1 to terminal 2.
Connect the neutral from the mains to terminal 3.
A and B will be removed from the hot and neutral terminals in the motor and wired directly into the switch.
Connect the hot from the motor to terminal 4 on the switch.
Connect the neutral from the motor to terminal 3 on the switch.
Connect A from the motor to terminal 5 on the switch.
Connect B from the motor to terminal 6 on the switch.
Of course the ground wire should connect to the chassis on both the switch and the motor.

If for some reason you want the motor to go a certain direction when the lever is moved a certain direction and it is backwards, swap the wires on terminals 5 and 6.
You did it! The problem is solved!!!
Butch27
Swill Maker

Post by Butch27 »

I am glad to hear it! I really try to not give bad advice.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

When we bought the bakery some of the machines went backward when plugged into particular 3 phase sockets.
Had to get the connections changed.

Geoff
The Baker
PeoplesPastor
Novice

Post by PeoplesPastor »

Butch27 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:39 pm I am glad to hear it! I really try to not give bad advice.
When I think about how you did it it seems so obvious but I don’t think I ever would have thought of it thank you!
Butch27
Swill Maker

Post by Butch27 »

You are more than welcome.