Electric Keg Pot Still Build

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Lahey
Novice

Electric Keg Pot Still Build

Post by Lahey »

I'm building a pot still using a 15.5 gallon keg as a boiler using two electric heating elements with a copper head and a liebig condenser. This is my first build and first time soldering. So far I've used bellybusters instructions for soldering the 1" SS half couplings to the keg (https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 85&t=36347). Recently I've started work on the the head. This is my progress so far.
IMG_6378.JPG
IMG_6377.JPG
IMG_6379.JPG
Let me know what you guys think about the design, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also while soldering I must've used too much copper on one fitting because it has pooled inside as you can see in the picture below. Is there something I should do about it? Take it off grind/sand it down and solder again? or can I just leave it? Also below is a picture of the solder/flux I'm using, from the research I've done I think I'm using the right stuff but let me know what you think?
IMG_6381.jpg
IMG_6380.JPG
I'm a bit confused. The flux in the pics for the stainless sweat joints is not the one you used. it's for the copper to copper sweats right
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Electric Keg Pot Still Build

Post by Ben »

Looks good so far, what are the two bungs near the base for?
:)
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Ben wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:25 pm Looks good so far, what are the two bungs near the base for?
I'll take a crazy outta-left-field stab at it.... for your two electric heating elements? :ebiggrin:
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Good job ! If distill clear washes I don't see problems. A advice I can give and enter the heating elements as low as possible so that you can distill without necessarily fill your boiler. For excess welding I don't think it's a problem, if you can eliminate it but not tightly needy. Remember a cleaning cycle at the end of work.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Agree , theres more than a few dribbles of lead free solder on the insides of my stills .
If you can remove it or even care too , go for it . If not . Don’t worry about it . … it won’t cause any issues .

When using brass fittings , a common method to prevent exposure to lead is to tin the brass in lead free solder .
In this example , there is a deliberate placement of Lead free solder on the inside of the still .

It is safe . :thumbup:
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Twisted Brick wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:37 pm
Ben wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:25 pm Looks good so far, what are the two bungs near the base for?
I'll take a crazy outta-left-field stab at it.... for your two electric heating elements? :ebiggrin:
Ahh, 120v. Ok. Seems odd to have the one so high.
Lahey
Novice

Post by Lahey »

Ben wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:24 am
Twisted Brick wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:37 pm
Ahh, 120v. Ok. Seems odd to have the one so high.
Yes two camco 5500w 240v ulwd elements running on 120v. The plan is that I'll run both to get up to temp and then just the bottom one which will be controlled.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Lahey wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:04 pm I'm building a pot still using a 15.5 gallon keg as a boiler using two electric heating elements with a copper head and a liebig condenser. This is my first build and first time soldering. So far I've used bellybusters instructions for soldering the 1" SS half couplings to the keg (https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 85&t=36347). Recently I've started work on the the head. This is my progress so far.IMG_6378.JPGIMG_6377.JPGIMG_6379.JPG

Let me know what you guys think about the design, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also while soldering I must've used too much copper on one fitting because it has pooled inside as you can see in the picture below. Is there something I should do about it? Take it off grind/sand it down and solder again? or can I just leave it? Also below is a picture of the solder/flux I'm using, from the research I've done I think I'm using the right stuff but let me know what you think?
IMG_6381.jpgIMG_6380.JPG

I'm a bit confused. The flux in the pics for the stainless sweat joints is not the one you used. it's for the copper to copper sweats right
Lahey
Novice

Post by Lahey »

acfixer69 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:13 pm
Lahey wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:04 pm I'm building a pot still using a 15.5 gallon keg as a boiler using two electric heating elements with a copper head and a liebig condenser. This is my first build and first time soldering. So far I've used bellybusters instructions for soldering the 1" SS half couplings to the keg (https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 85&t=36347). Recently I've started work on the the head. This is my progress so far.IMG_6378.JPGIMG_6377.JPGIMG_6379.JPG

IMG_6381.jpgIMG_6380.JPG

Yes the flux pictured is for copper to copper, for the stainless on stainless I used harris stay brite silver bearing solder kit
IMG_6404.JPG
Lahey
Novice

Post by Lahey »

Made some more progress
IMG_6407.JPG
Was having a hard time soldering the 2 inch fittings, they do not look pretty but they hold water. Next things on the list is making a stand and a controller. I've got two 240v 5500w camco ulwd elements that will be running on 120v which if I've done my reading correctly will net me ~ 2750w. I'm a little overwhelmed with the amount of opinions and options for what kind of controller to build/use. So far I'm thinking I'll run the top element directly plugged into a wall outlet, and the bottom element on a phase angle controller based on bellybusters build https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... d#p7048251 . I would greatly appreciate any input from the community. Thanks.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Running the elements like that is smart. That controller looks fine too as long as you have adequate heat sink. Keeping it simple like that should work well. Chances are good you will end up unplugging the unregulated element after heat up during your spirit runs, and you will still have full control.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

It may have been said previously, make sure you support your liebig. It's putting some serious pressure on the bottom ferrule on the riser :D
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Lahey
Novice

Post by Lahey »

Ben wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:26 am Running the elements like that is smart. That controller looks fine too as long as you have adequate heat sink. Keeping it simple like that should work well. Chances are good you will end up unplugging the unregulated element after heat up during your spirit runs, and you will still have full control.
Ok, was thinking the same thing, thanks.
Sporacle wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:47 am It may have been said previously, make sure you support your liebig. It's putting some serious pressure on the bottom ferrule on the riser :D
Thanks for the advice, any recommendation on what to use for that?
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Mate, milk crates, engine stand or whatever is handy, doesn't have to be pretty just has to work :D
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Sporacle wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:47 am Thanks for the advice, any recommendation on what to use for that
Something exotic like a forked stick maybe.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:17 pm
Sporacle wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:47 am Thanks for the advice, any recommendation on what to use for that
Something exotic like a forked stick maybe.
Or you could get bored in the shed and weld a removable hanging bracket, solder a bracket on the liebig and spend 90 minutes constructing it, a forked stick could do that in 10 seconds, only reason I don't use a forked stick is I hate having stuff at my feet :lol: :crazy:
20211010_095356.jpg
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Much more elegant than a forked stick. Well done. Although you will have trouble defending yourself from rattlesnakes should the need arise.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Ben wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:32 am Much more elegant than a forked stick. Well done. Although you will have trouble defending yourself from rattlesnakes should the need arise.
Yeah but if he manages to catch the bastard , he can give it a good lynching :moresarcasm:
Lahey
Novice

Post by Lahey »

After waiting many months for my parts for the controller off aliexpress I was able to piece it together and also hooked up the water lines to the condenser. I put water in the still and ran it for a couple hours to see if there was any leaks. Thankfully, the only leaks were at the drain spout fittings so more ptfe tape i guess.
IMG_6779.JPG
IMG_6835.JPG
IMG_6925.JPG
I noticed the still was huffing quite a bit so gonna try and work on that issue (use a bit of copper scrubber and shove some coiled wire up there). Next step was going to be a 50/50 vinegar run and sacrificial cleaning run (birdwatchers sugar wash) but I was taking a look inside the pot and it looks a little grimy though, maybe some flux, metal shavings, leftover drill oil I'm not really too sure. So not sure if I should deal with that before doing the vinegar/ sacrificial cleaning run. Also I have some citric acid so I was gonna give the copper parts a bath before the runs although now I'm thinking maybe I should fill up the still with citic acid as well. Just not sure how to get the lil bits out. For those wondering the bathtub is not its final resting place.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

For those wondering the bathtub is not its final resting place.
Tha'ts good to hear. that picture was making my eye twitch. Looks like someone considering taking a bath with a toaster.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.