Updated distilling room

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PeoplesPastor
Novice

Updated distilling room

Post by PeoplesPastor »

Life got the best of me and I haven’t been able to do much but I’m jumping back in. I wanted to get my distilling room in a good place so I took on a construction project in my tool room to make it better for the hobby
248FE353-2974-46A1-B98C-12C47673AADF.jpeg
FB72AB5E-32F3-4FF5-8290-1B82A9A940B6.jpeg
68FDE8E6-1492-45A2-BAA1-5A8027673CF4.jpeg
B16EFBDB-7153-4359-8F22-786227C0228A.jpeg
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Updated distilling room

Post by still_stirrin »

Relegated to the basement, huh?

Well, it’s quieter and more temperate anyway. But, be advised: fermentation smells rise. So, SWMBO may say something if you’ve got a large ferment working off.
ss

p.s. - I like the painted floors. Neat and tidy. If you spill, just remember to mop it up.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Ideally one would have a fairly clean, climate controlled space to mash, ferment and distill. But I'm finding that to be unachievable it seems. I mash outside, Ferment in a closet and distill in the garage.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

That's a nice, well illuminated room and easily cleaned. How do you manage your waste water? Do you send it to a drain line above? Do you recycle water, have a floor drain or a sink with drain? I've seen some basements that have a 'lift station' to pump waste water up to a drain in the mail level above.

How to dispose of waste is the first thing I think of when working in a basement. Distilling in my garage spoiled me. I just roll my boilers over to the back door and open the drain valve.
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

My house is old enough that I've got a basement drain that feeds into the city storm line. If the area floods, it reverse-flow floods my basement, so not great, but its nice to not have to deal with lift stations or sump pumps.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

I like your large pipe cutter... can it do 3"?
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
PeoplesPastor
Novice

Post by PeoplesPastor »

BlueSasquatch wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:43 am Ideally one would have a fairly clean, climate controlled space to mash, ferment and distill. But I'm finding that to be unachievable it seems. I mash outside, Ferment in a closet and distill in the garage.
I do all my mashing in this room as I have a large mashtun and a keggle. The large container on the one wall is a temperature controlled fermentation chamber I built
PeoplesPastor
Novice

Post by PeoplesPastor »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:01 am That's a nice, well illuminated room and easily cleaned. How do you manage your waste water? Do you send it to a drain line above? Do you recycle water, have a floor drain or a sink with drain? I've seen some basements that have a 'lift station' to pump waste water up to a drain in the mail level above.

How to dispose of waste is the first thing I think of when working in a basement. Distilling in my garage spoiled me. I just roll my boilers over to the back door and open the drain valve.
There is a drain right outside the door under my deck
PeoplesPastor
Novice

Post by PeoplesPastor »

Setsumi wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:53 am I like your large pipe cutter... can it do 3"?
Nope largest is 2.5. I use it to cut 2 inch
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Nice, really similar set up to what I had before me bought an acreage last fall. Bit of a medical issue, so just did my first boka run since last year today....hoping to get something set up soon.

I was also wondering about water....if I had stayed at that place, I would have run pex lines of water in there and set up a stainless double sink. Any plans to run water into there?
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

dunluce wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:31 pm Nice, really similar set up to what I had before me bought an acreage last fall. Bit of a medical issue, so just did my first boka run since last year today....hoping to get something set up soon.

I was also wondering about water....if I had stayed at that place, I would have run pex lines of water in there and set up a stainless double sink. Any plans to run water into there?
It looks like there's a water line right next to his grain mill.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:17 am It looks like there's a water line right next to his grain mill.
Correct, totally missed that.
PeoplesPastor
Novice

Post by PeoplesPastor »

dunluce wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:19 pm
Salt Must Flow wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:17 am It looks like there's a water line right next to his grain mill.
Correct, totally missed that.
Yeah I got a potable water hose bib that put into the water line that goes to my hose hookup outside