diy 2" sight glass

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fuggles
Novice

diy 2" sight glass

Post by Fuggles »

What do you guys think of my diy site glass?
assembled.jpg
I cut the flashlight holder out wood on my hobby cnc and then coated it with epoxy. Then cut the ridge off one side of the TC gasket so it would mate to the glass.
parts.jpg
Would you use something like this? Is it safe? I broke the first glass over tightening so I'm concerned it might not hold up over a temperature ramp.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: diy 2" sight glass

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I'd be worried if it is not borosilicate glass and if it is too thin. This one shows a thick piece of borosilicate glass. With your design, the only thing in contact with the alcohol would be the primary gasket and the glass so that would be fine.

EDIT: I fixed the broken link
Last edited by Salt Must Flow on Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Pretty sweet fuggles. As long as everything stays tight. Would this be to check liquid levels during spirit runs?
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

I'd just boil some water for a while to test it. Nice work,brother.
Last edited by Chauncey on Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Fuggles
Novice

Post by Fuggles »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:42 pm I'd be worried if it is not borosilicate glass and if it is too thin
That's a nice piece of glass. Unfortunately the price is triple on the CDN site and I'd like to build it all myself as it's part of the fun.

Mine is in fact thin picture frame glass and my bad cutting skills probably left defects in it. It may help if I epoxy the flashlight holder to the glass for mutual reinforcement. I could try find thicker glass as well. I'm just not sure I can can source any borosilicate or even cut it.

Stonecutter wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:56 pm Pretty sweet fuggles. As long as everything stays tight. Would this be to check liquid levels during spirit runs?
Thank you. It's motivated by my first stripping runs when I got pukes. I want to watch for foam.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Fuggles wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:35 pm
Salt Must Flow wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:42 pm I'd be worried if it is not borosilicate glass and if it is too thin
That's a nice piece of glass. Unfortunately the price is triple on the CDN site and I'd like to build it all myself as it's part of the fun.

Mine is in fact thin picture frame glass and my bad cutting skills probably left defects in it. It may help if I epoxy the flashlight holder to the glass for mutual reinforcement. I could try find thicker glass as well. I'm just not sure I can can source any borosilicate or even cut it.
There's lots of sources online. I just couldn't trust it if it weren't thicker borosilicate glass.

I've cut glass with cheap China diamond hole saws before. I used continuous flowing water to clear the shavings as I cut. I've never looked into cutting borosilicate glass, I just know that you shouldn't attempt cutting tempered glass because it will shatter.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

2 mil thickness works just fine.

Just gotta be careful not to over tighten with the tri clamp. The tri clamp does not apply uniform pressure.

I like it alot.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

If you you ever feel like cutting your own, I found 3mm thick borosilicate glass plate on Amazon for $15.99. I haven't shopped around much for anything cheaper, haven't looked for 2mm thick stuff and don't know what thickness would begin to interfere with clamping it between a stainless ferrule. One plate could make a whole lot of glass disks. I used to know of a company that sold really inexpensive diamond hole saws of all sizes, but I can't find the link.
Last edited by Salt Must Flow on Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I love it fuggles
Shining a torch through a glass usually have reflections and stuff makes it hard . Looks like you have a good solution.

Incidentally , I have the original standard window glass I cut for both my stills with windows , and have had only one crack in nearly 10years . That was due to me over tightening it .
When it cracked , I didn’t even notice . There was a slight weep . Shut it down when I saw it .
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I use 1/16" (.062) standard glass on my slight glass, and have had no issues with heat breakage, but broke a few with over tighten, before I learn..

But as LWTCS stated, don't over tighten with the tri clamp, and if you need to seal it better, so as not to over tighten, wrap some teflon tape around the gasket.. the tape will form as a sealer with little pressure required..

The only issue I see is the location of the slight glass, it seem to be just above the center line of keg, losing capacity in using the boiler, if the reason/purpose was to observe the foaming.. a slight glass at the base of the column serve this purpose best..

Mars
Y tee used as a slight glass on stripping runs
Y tee used as a slight glass on stripping runs
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

Here's Yummys flute build. Definitely inspiring.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=59475
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

juana_b wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:28 pm Here's Yummys flute build. Definitely inspiring.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=59475
Huh! I’d never seen that. Thanks for posting juana_b :thumbup:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

Nice work Fuggles.
I brought up Yummys build 'cause he used window glass. And because it's been dormant for a while and all of us could use a refresher on what perseverance looks like.

Anyhow it's not the temperature ramp necessarily, but a rapid decrease in temp that can spell trouble. Such as spilling cool liquid on it when it's hot.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

juana_b wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:49 pm Nice work Fuggles.

Anyhow it's not the temperature ramp necessarily, but a rapid decrease in temp that can spell trouble. Such as spilling cool liquid on it when it's hot.
Correct, do not remove the glass while the still is hot. Let it cool on itself and it will be fine.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Fuggles
Novice

Post by Fuggles »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:44 pm If you you ever feel like cutting your own, I found 3mm thick borosilicate glass plate...
I found similar and just ordered should be here end of week. I'll give it a try!
Fuggles
Novice

Post by Fuggles »

StillerBoy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:27 pm The only issue I see is the location of the slight glass, it seem to be just above the center line of keg,
It's actually at the top. It was going to be my element hole before I flipped the keg. So I can fit 45+ L in below it. Agreed not the best location but just dealing with what I have for now as I have no new boiler build planned. I shouldn't even need a cleaning run to add this.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Fuggles wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:33 am It's actually at the top. It was going to be my element hole before I flipped the keg.
My error, my apologies.. will be interesting what can be observed from that level, as there is away some foaming (bubbling) occurring with all wash/mash, that's why it better at the base of the column as one can catch it before it moves up the column..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

StillerBoy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:27 pm Picture 0121.jpg
Genius, Wish I had seen this earlier, I ended up just getting a 2" column sight glass, the stainless steel ones, by Denord I think, not very pricey but not as cool as that Y either, my purpose is just to help catch pukes.

To the OP, look and see what bit you'd need to cut glass with your hobby CNC, I've got one as well that I used to cut my control box. I haven't cut glass with it before, but you'd think if you went shallow and had a specific end mill, that you could do so. Especially a tough glass like boro.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
Fuggles
Novice

Post by Fuggles »

StillerBoy wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:11 am My error, my apologies.. will be interesting what can be observed from that level, as there is away some foaming (bubbling) occurring with all wash/mash, that's why it better at the base of the column as one can catch it before it moves up the column..
No worries hope I didn't come across as short. I should have zoomed out a bit. Thanks for the info about the foam I really don't know what to expect with this. I might like a tube/flow dioptr type glass just above the kettle. They're cheap on ali but I'm apprehensive about ordering stuff like this internationally. Now that I have the cnc recipe for this I could easily make another and add a 2" TC to the base of my pot still head for minimal cost and the satisfaction of crafting it myself.
Fuggles
Novice

Post by Fuggles »

BlueSasquatch wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:25 am To the OP, look and see what bit you'd need to cut glass with your hobby CNC
You just blew my mind. Internet says that this is possible. I've only done copper and wood so far but I'll look into it. Thanks! This hobby moves at a snails pace for me but if I have any luck I'll post it here.
amh71
Novice

Post by amh71 »

Hobby cnc glass cutting is very doable but clamping the sheet tightly enough without breaking it is a challenge, I tend to cut a pocket into waste acrylic to drop the sheet into and then clamp with more waste and a strip of rubber in a slight overlap.

Either use a drag knife to score and the break with running pliers or cut slowly at medium rpm with a diamond bit and underwater. Take care of the bit creating aerosols containing the glass waste, use an enclosure or extraction that can cope with the mist.

Use borosilicate, its coefficient of expansion is about 1/3 that of window glass, that's why it's "heatproof", I would not trust plain sheet glass anywhere near ethanol vapours, particularly if used outside where cool drafts can create shocks.
Fuggles
Novice

Post by Fuggles »

Thanks amh. Sounds pretty advanced. I recall the copper cutting using up a lot of time, bits, and patience and this sounds significantly more involved. Not to mention that my cnc is not really set up for submerged enclosed cutting. Along with the borosilicate sheet I actually found a 2.5" diamond hole saw for a decent price so I'll try that first.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I used normal glass (similar to yours) no problem, it must never meet cold water, as said by others, let it cool normally it will be fine.
amh71
Novice

Post by amh71 »

I look at it in the same way as seals, many people will happily use silicone gaskets and tell you they are perfectly safe. Here you'll be told to stick to ptfe as its the only safe option. Window glass is the same, perfectly safe to many but not the safe option.

I cut thousands of sheets every year and now and again a perfectly good one will break for no apparent reason but luckily its on my bench rather than in the still.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Has anyone got a link to OldDog's sight glass construction out of "1.25 in union"??

Kentucky Shiner made reference to it but it was a long time ago...
Kentucky shinner wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:28 am I thought I would post some pics as i progress. I have 4" pipe and 5 sight glasses built. I must say with Olddogs tutorial on making the sight glasses this was not nearly as hard as I thought it might be, I made these last night in about 1.5 hours. I still have 3 to make. I am waiting for my glass cutter and I think this will be the tricky part. I will be updating as I progress.
Kentucky Shinner
I PM'd olddog but havent heard back from him, not sure if he is still on, all the posts of his I've read to date seem quite old also

Edit: Found it, thought I would repost it here as it might help this thread
Kentucky shinner wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:28 am I thought I would post some pics as i progress. I have 4" pipe and 5 sight glasses built. I must say with Olddogs tutorial on making the sight glasses this was not nearly as hard as I thought it might be, I made these last night in about 1.5 hours. I still have 3 to make. I am waiting for my glass cutter and I think this will be the tricky part. I will be updating as I progress.
Kentucky Shinner
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:03 am I PM'd olddog but havent heard back from him, not sure if he is still on, all the posts of his I've read to date seem quite old also
Olddog passed on some yrs back..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Old dog is still around and doing well last time I heard, which wasn't that long ago. He just chooses to not be involved in the hobby any longer.
Yummy knows more.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Yup thats the short and curlys of it Salty .
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

StillerBoy wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:27 pm Olddog passed on some yrs back..
My error.. thanks for the correction and update.. as he last posted in 2014..

Mars

– Albert Einstein