My Modular Still Head new build

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ozzie34231
Novice

My Modular Still Head new build

Post by ozzie34231 »

I'm about 95% of the way through building my "experimental" still.
So far it consists of 6 units. Three columns are stuffed with stainless scrubbies although they can be easily pulled from the first unit. The pot head is empty and I need to build a condenser for it; not decided what design yet. One of the other units is pretty standard Bokakob, perhaps with the upper plate a bit closer to the collector than some have used.
The remaining head is a slant plate bubbler very much like one of Bok's designs. I will probably put together a take-off unit for the top of it, just a quick 1" el and 45 arrangement into a condenser.
The small tubes are 1" and the large 2".
In each case the 1" tube at the top extends past what would normally be the stop point in the reducer. This directs reflux toward the center of the unit.
All of the thermometer tubes are sealed.
The boiler is a 1/4 keg, unmodified.
I also have a 1/2 keg from which I've cut the top away to within an inch of the edge. This could serve as a grain cooker and/or a fermenting vessel.
The heat source will be a 35,000 BTU propane burner.
I'm close to vinegar runs.
What strength are you all using, will this cook out the flux?

I just previewed the picture and the slant plates do not show clearly. There are 11 plates forming 5 compartments and a top shelf. The spacing between each pair is about 3/8" - 1/2".
Ozzie
Attachments
P1010015.JPG
ozzie34231
Novice

Re: My Modular Still Head new build

Post by ozzie34231 »

I should also mention that I need to make an output valve for the LM Bok. After puzzling about a design for a while I've decided to make an el shaped valve with 3/8" flare connections. (I'm a home machinist). It will be all stainless so nothing but stainless and copper will touch the liquid.
Are others interested in buying such a valve? What would be a salable price?
Ozzie
kingearwig
Bootlegger

Post by kingearwig »

I might be interested in 10 such valves. I bought up all of the these valves... well actually the "in-line" version of it.
I would be glad to pay like $10 a piece for a valve that was capable of more flow than this one. I would want a break on 10 of them though.
ozzie34231
Novice

Post by ozzie34231 »

It looks like that is a nicely made valve, buy it appears to be made of brass, which unfortunately contains lead.
Many prefer to have only copper, stainless steel, and lead free solder contact their product.
Valves usable with a Bokakob type still head, made of stainless often sell for nearly $100. Even so some of these use a packing material which might come in contact with the distillate.
My valve uses no packing, and is 100% stainless steel. The flare style connection assures nothing but copper and stainless touch the product.
This is a non-production, quality, home-shop made valve. The through flow opening is .275 inches, and will couple with 3/8" OD copper tubing.
I would consider an offer of $300 for 10 valves.
Ozzie
kingearwig
Bootlegger

Post by kingearwig »

I hope I didn't offend you with my offer. with out a pic it is hard to guess the value of such a piece. Lets see some of your work.
ozzie34231
Novice

Post by ozzie34231 »

No offense whatsoever.
I'm in the middle of some other work, so I haven't finished my own valve yet.
I should have one for a picture early next week.
Ozzie
ozzie34231
Novice

Post by ozzie34231 »

Been bogged down with "Honey Do's" will do picture asap. Monday or sooner.
Ozzie
ozzie34231
Novice

Re: My Modular Still Head new build Valve

Post by ozzie34231 »

I have just listed my new valve for LM still heads on Ebay. You can read about it there.
The item number is 220617374960.
Anyone wanting more than one can contact me
ozzieii@msn.com
Several of these could fit in the small USPS flat rate box.
Ozzie
ozzie34231
Novice

Post by ozzie34231 »

Here are a couple pics.
Attachments
P1010022.JPG
P1010020.JPG