Here is my reflux still

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Roughneck
Novice

Here is my reflux still

Post by Roughneck »

I just finished my Still its a keg boiler with 2 2000 w elements and a aluminum column with 3.4 feet of relux area and 3 foot cooling coil at the top. the aluminum needs some polishing yet but i did a test run with just water waited for steam to reach the top turned on the water and it started poring out the take off tube.

I'm looking for a good bourbon / whiskey recipe to use for this still . I know for whiskey no scrubbers or packing in the reflux area . But I'm looking for some guidance for that size boiler and how much mash i need to start with to do a full boiler worth which i assume is around 10 gal seeing as keg is i believe 15 gal.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
IMAG0059.jpg
rad14701
retired

Re: Here is my reflux still

Post by rad14701 »

Welcome to the HD forums, Roughneck...

I strongly suggest that you take some serious time to do some research before proceeding with this venture... An aluminum column is going to be eaten away by the caustic high temperature high proof alcohol vapor produced by the boiler... Do you really want to drink alcohol that has aluminum dissolved in it...???

Seriously, do your research...

Please stop by the Welcome Center and give us a proper introduction...
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

the aluminum needs some polishing yet
:shock:
Seriously, do your research...
This isnt a light hearted suggestion. You may not want to hear it, but you need to start over. Beginning with rads suggestion of......Research.

Welcome. Stay safe.
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
rednose
Site Donor
Site Donor

Don't work with aluminium

Post by rednose »

Aluminium is a NO-NO material for ethanol, not even in ethanol fuel they use it as it will be eaten in no time.

Joe
Licensed Micro distillery "Bonanza"; fighting the local market
Roughneck
Novice

Post by Roughneck »

The aluminum column is temporary untill i can find some affordable copper i had the aluminum on hand plan on going to copper as soon as i can. I did forget to mention that in my post.

and as far as research i have, this is from this very site....

What Materials are Suitable ?
Coulson, Richardson & Sinnott report that:

* aluminium, aluminium bronze, brass, copper, gunmetal and bronze, high Si iron, nickel, nickle-copper alloys, platinum, silver, stainless steel (18/8, molybedenum & austenitic ferric), titanium, tantalum, and zirconium
* nylon 66 fibre & plastics, PCTFE, PTFE, polypropylene, and furane resin
* hard rubber, neophrene, nitrile rubber, chlorosulphinated polyethylene, and silicone rubbers
* concrete, glass, graphite, porcelain and stoneware, and vitreous enamel

are corrosion resistant to alcohols, beer & water up to 100C.

I understand copper is a much better alternative then the aluminum and as i said i plan to replace it soon just wanted to get started.

Your thoughts.....
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Aluminum is NOT resistant to high temperature high proof alcohol vapor... The reaction from vapor is altogether different from liquid... The alloy composition of the aluminum must be taken into consideration... Practical application has proven that aluminum still components will corrode... Don't believe everything you read that is published by the academia...
Manback
Swill Maker

Post by Manback »

Lol, so in other words..

Do your research but don't believe anything you find ;)

How useful!!

Now that everyone's repeated each other a few times:

Whats the deal with the 3ft cooling coil? That's huuuge! :P
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Manback wrote:Lol, so in other words..

Do your research but don't believe anything you find ;)

How useful!!
Nobody said not to believe anything, just don't believe everything the so called experts say... Some of what they say needs to be taken only in context and in no other way...
Austin Nichols
Rumrunner

Post by Austin Nichols »

And again we see that this site has some poor info in the parent site :roll:

Poor bloke does his research to build his rig, to be told it's shit.

Where can I find proper data or an MSDS on the use of ally with alcohol vapor and/or liquid to confirm or refute the information provided above?

Cheers.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Austin Nichols, go do some research on "oxidation"... While a water and alcohol mixture may not be harmful at a specific ratio, adding oxygen into the mix can change the whole ballgame... As long as there is water in the boiler, which is always, and the vapor temperature is at the right spot, there will be a chance of oxidation if the ratio of vapor components is at a specific point...
Austin Nichols
Rumrunner

Post by Austin Nichols »

Thanks Rad,

I dont really need to research it, I'm not that interested seeing as I only use copper, SS and flour paste on my rig, the info I was asking for was more for the OP and others to see, and so you could back up your knowledge on the subject.

After all you did state this :wink:
Nobody said not to believe anything, just don't believe everything the so called experts say... Some of what they say needs to be taken only in context and in no other way...
....and I did ask a question recently about using ally to age spirit, but the info I got seems to conflict slightly with what your saying, I however did not go ahead with my idea and took the advise given.

Cheers.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Correct, Austin Nichols...

If you've read enough here in these very forums you would have discovered that in practical application, in the field, members here have had aluminum oxidize, pit, and fail... Sometimes after just a few boiler charges and other times it took longer and the problem was discovered before failure occurred... That's not some self proclaimed expert or scientist making a statement, that's real world experience talking...

Ask the major distilleries why they don't use aluminum pipe instead of stainless steel... What do you think their answer will be...??? That stainless steel is far more resistant to oxidation than aluminum...

I don't go do research on the beckon call of others, I only do it for myself, unless I'm being paid... I've done research in many different areas over the years, have remembered a lot of disparate information, and have even assimilated pieces together as further knowledge... I also do Mensa logic problems for entertainment, but I digress...
Austin Nichols
Rumrunner

Post by Austin Nichols »

Fair enough :wink:

Obviously it would be impossible to research and read read read absolutely everything on this site, and I dont really want to anyway, I've got better things to do.

I'll try and research the things that interest me or any questions that I think of, I wouldnt have got this far if I had not.

Today has been an interesting day on HD concerning materials, I've learnt a few things :lol:
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

I do not know much about aluminium oxidation, but when I was a small boy a friend of my father had to repair an aluminium boat at the coast. Asking what happened he replied some copper coins were dropped in the boat. The combination of copper saltwater and time caused the aluminium to rust (oxidized). Don’t know how much salt are needed, but I know it is not easy to work with aluminium. I wanted to solder an aluminium jacket for my Liebig – it dit not happen! Use copper and ss.
My 2 c.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

All looks good except for...

1. The Al. Say no more!
2. The slant plates/take-off appears to be half way down the column. That may explain the 3' coil? The coil should be about 9" long comprising 9' to 16' of 1/4" copper or stainless tubing wound into a tight coil that fits inside the column. The slant plates and take-off should be about an inch below the coil, about 10" from the top of the column.
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

All good advice, Copper, SS or Glass... Nothing else... Period...

The minute corrosive particles dissolving from your ally still stay in the vapour path and condense out to your bottle...
Drinking them is NOT TEMPORARY, its forever....

Stop by the Welcome Center... and tell us a little about yourself...

Safety first Roughneck, it'll keep ya alive...

Hope this helps... :D

Just my 2 cents... :D
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
SMiTH
Novice

Post by SMiTH »

damn that thing is tall... Lucky by the look of it you live on the land so you dont have to hide it... can't imagine running that thing in a shed or room off the house...