Still crazy's bok build for me....

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

britincali
Novice

Still crazy's bok build for me....

Post by britincali »

Got her last week and set it up I used a 1lb bag of copper mesh from brewhouse for packing, the first run was a 4 gal wash to clean her out the most I got was around 168 proof but I ran it hard and fast and wasnt concerned with purity.

My second run was yesterday using a 12 gal basic sugar wash, first couple of jars were around 180 proof and 4-5 drips a second then the ABV started dropping to around 160-140 I dropped the heat and hung around 150 for the next couple of jars. Then it would drop to around 120, I closed the takeoff valve for 20 mins or so and booyah it was back up to 170-180.

Ive still got to get used to driving this still as its definatly more finiky than a pot still but Ive come to a few conclusions after 2 tries.

1. It gets higher ABV with less coolant flow through the cold finger
2. A shutdown of the takoff and a 20 min reflux helps a lot.
3. There is no point blasting the gas as all it does is lower ABV
4. I need to get better at making washes :)

All in all im ultra happy with her and once I get used to driving it im sure Ill be producing 190+ ABV.

The stuff I got out of here is realllly nice, Ive made a coffee liquer (its beautiful!) and a few irish coffees. Its smooth and definatly better than my pot still attempts

Ive also gotta give big props to jim (still crazy) hes spent a lot of phone time with me getting her built and dialed, he makes a beautiful product and IMO is worthy of a AAAA++++ seller rating!

Heres some pics....

britincali
Novice

Re: Still crazy's bok build for me....

Post by britincali »

From this....

To what I have now in under a month is definatley a sign of an addictive hobby LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

britincali, congratulations on your successful runs with the new still... You have definitely taken a step or three up from your previous rig... Glad to hear that you are happy with the workmanship... We have several true craftsmen here, some of whom are more than willing to help get a newcomer headed in the right direction...
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

Way to go man.. you cant go wrong with a bok. I think it is one of the best beginner reflux stills going.
britincali
Novice

Post by britincali »

Im still reading up on the proper way to drive it, im thinking on the next run Ill only open the outlet a little to give it more reflux time.

Still very much a newby at this game but its got me hooked bigtime!!!
carolina moonshiner
Novice

Post by carolina moonshiner »

what is the cost of that set up :!: nice looking .
britincali
Novice

Post by britincali »

PM still crazy on here :wink:
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Yes you have moved into the big house with your new still.

Econo class to first class.

Congrats and happy stilling
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.