MY SEXY GIRL

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Barney Fife
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: MY SEXY GIRL

Post by Barney Fife »

Well then, we'll just call her "Lil", if that works for you...! And if a stranger should hear y'all discussing Lil and asks who Lil is, just smile and say "Lil's my sexy girl....", and it becomes an inside joke, but makes enough sense to the stranger that he/she will not ask further.

Let me make the introductions:

Lil, meet the fine folks at Home Distiller! Folks, meet Lil, our little sexy girl!
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Barney Fife wrote:Well then, we'll just call her "Lil", if that works for you...! And if a stranger should hear y'all discussing Lil and asks who Lil is, just smile and say "Lil's my sexy girl....", and it becomes an inside joke, but makes enough sense to the stranger that he/she will not ask further.

Let me make the introductions:

Lil, meet the fine folks at Home Distiller! Folks, meet Lil, our little sexy girl!
Thats pretty good Barney. I have to be careful about my girlfriend thinking the inside joke is on her. She looked at me straight faced one time and said
"Dont ever piss off a nurse, You might not wake up in the morning" :shock: :shock: I dont think she was serious but..............You never know
hackware
Swill Maker

Post by hackware »

ever try to change a cat's name...? :lolno:

don't work... :wtf:

she'll always answer to the original...

(named a cat fuckoff once...) :lol:
tell me how hard it is to do... tell me how expensive it will be... just don't tell me what i can not do...

lead, follow, or get out of the way... ankle biters will be kicked...

•*´¯)¸.•*´¯)¤ª"˜¨¯¯¨˜"william..."˜¨¯¯¨˜"ª¤(¯`*•.¸(¯`*•
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

I ran my Sexy Girl yesterday. 12 gallons of Birdwatcher and 10 gallons of Sour Mash.

I added a siphon break on my dephlag out flow as planned. That solved the fluctuations I was having. She was rock solid consistent. Putting out 90% I ran both batches the same way. They did behave a little different.

In an effort to compress heads I started in full reflux mode for almost an hour. Even with dephlag running fast, the exit water cool, there was some heads sneaking by at low temps.

Raising the temp slowly and reducing the coolant slowly I pulled the fores and heads. I was at 90% reflux for over an hour.

When I could smell and taste the hearts at the parrot I slowed the coolant flow until it was hot to the touch coming out of the dephlag. The hearts started flowing at a fast stream. ABV was rock solid at 90% at that speed.

When it got near the tails it slowed drastically but continued to drip at 90% so I let it continue. Was I collecting tails at 90% then?
When the ABV started to drop I turned off the dephlag and collected the tails.

There was very little tails before the ABV went away. Particularly with my UJSSM. There seemed to be almost no tails.
Birdwatcher 12 gallon – 750 ml. UJSSM 10 gallon -100 ml.

Where the heck are all the tails? Does the flute pull them through with the hearts?

Still learning. I will know more when I do my blending in a day or two. I am okay with Tails in my UJSSM. I will see what I got on the neutral.
MR
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Hey MR...sounds like she's workin good! I noticed this as well...even on my 2 incher (although not to that extreme). Most likely...if you "taste" those jars going along...even at 90%, you are going to find the expected flavor differences along the way ..subtle as they seem to be on the larger flutes (mine were absolutely horrid on the 2 incher...early tails at 90%...blech). Your dephleg/setup seems to be working real good. By that I mean...it continues to hold 90% stable..it just slows down as it gets to tails — as opposed to maintaining the output flow-rate, but vapor temp rises and abv drops.
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

Sounds lie your on the right track MR, 90ABV+ is pretty right for a Flute, as far as your tails are concerned, your output will decrease which is an indication that the hearts are coming to an end. Just taste with a spoon and water, your taste buds will tell you, and yes you can get tails at 90ABV. As soon as the hearts output starts to decrease, turn off the dephlegmater and direct all of your coolant to the product condenser, if you are using a parrot, you will see the ABV drop quickly from 90ABV to 30ABV and you will end up with around 30ml (a cup full) of tails, which are very compressed.

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Outstanding work. :clap:
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

olddog wrote:Sounds lie your on the right track MR, 90ABV+ is pretty right for a Flute, as far as your tails are concerned, your output will decrease which is an indication that the hearts are coming to an end. Just taste with a spoon and water, your taste buds will tell you, and yes you can get tails at 90ABV. As soon as the hearts output starts to decrease, turn off the dephlegmater and direct all of your coolant to the product condenser, if you are using a parrot, you will see the ABV drop quickly from 90ABV to 30ABV and you will end up with around 30ml (a cup full) of tails, which are very compressed.

OD
I did my blending last night. The UJSSM first. I was worried that when I got almost no tails at the end of the run (yes OD about a cup) that I had pulled the tails through with the hearts. Here is my results. 750ml bottles
1, Heads
2, Heads and hearts. Considered using in m blend but didn’t.
3, Hearts 180p Diluted all samples as usual to 80p for tasting.
4, Hearts 180p
5, Hearts 180 p
6. No tails collected. I threw out the cup of piss
The heads do compress giving you more hearts. I had added two bottles of heads from previous runs. I got back less than that.
I blended bottles 3,4,5 and diluted to 100p. Poured a little white dog on ice. Really good.
Maybe the best I have ever made. I snuck a taste of my last batch that is on oak. This was a cut above last weeks batch.

Birdwatchers
Results here are way different. They show that my flute will make 90% but not strip flavors as needed for a neutral. Again 750ml bottles
1. Heads 180p
2. Heads 180p
3. Hearts 180p
4. Hearts 180p
5. Hearts/Tails 180p
6. Tails 180p
7. Tails 165p
8. Tails 125p ?? I turned off the dephlag sooner this time.

There was a lot of booze here but only the dead center was good neutral. I kept 3 & 4 and diluted to 90p. I got two half gallons total
I will re run this booze for neutral or use it to add ABV to my whisky wash before distilling.

I love my flute. I think it is definitley a whiskey still which is perfect for me. I look forward to making a rum this fall.
MR, over and out.
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Damn. I really screwed up. Or I really learned something the hard way.

I ran 12 gallons of my UJSSM a few days ago. I included corn heads from a previous run and (here is where I screwed up) I added heads and tails from my Birdwatchers run.

YUK I got a ton of the nastiest heads I have ever tasted !! Unlike anything I have ever tasted. Strong, perfume, bitter.

These head flavors carried through well into the center. I was able to keep only the distillate right before the tails.

Instead of having a larger amount of finished product, I ended up with less tan I would have had form my UJSSM. This might have worked with a Boka or VM. There are some things my flute wont do. Lesson learned.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

mash rookie wrote:Damn. I really screwed up. Or I really learned something the hard way.

I ran 12 gallons of my UJSSM a few days ago. I included corn heads from a previous run and (here is where I screwed up) I added heads and tails from my Birdwatchers run.

YUK I got a ton of the nastiest heads I have ever tasted !! Unlike anything I have ever tasted. Strong, perfume, bitter.

These head flavors carried through well into the center. I was able to keep only the distillate right before the tails.

Instead of having a larger amount of finished product, I ended up with less tan I would have had form my UJSSM. This might have worked with a Boka or VM. There are some things my flute wont do. Lesson learned.
Hmmm, I know someone that has a VM :esmile:
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Those heads are so nasty that I am going to throw them out. I certainly wont risk them with UJSSM again. Let me know if you want to try to run them through your VM. I will give them to you. My flute makes flavored booze. Good bad or otherwise.
primus
Novice

Post by primus »

OMG MR I'm totally gobsmacked, "it's a real doozy" :thumbup:
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

primus wrote:OMG MR I'm totally gobsmacked, "it's a real doozy" :thumbup:
Thanks Primus. She's my sexy girl!!
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

I have decided to experiment with my sexy girl. Maybe a different position? No.

She needs a little tune up anyway. One of the site glasses has always seeped a little and mud flap girl needs to be soldered. The double back tape didn’t work well.

I am going to take out her plate tree when I return from vacation. I am going to try a couple of runs with copper packing.
I have some thirty year old jumper cables that the insulation is shot. They are very fine stranded copper wire. Rather then throwing them out, I will strip the insulation, fluff them and stuff them in my column. After cleaning of course.

There are three things I want to learn..

1 Will my neutral have a cleaner taste?

2 Will my UJSSM still have taste?

3 Will my ABV still be the same run at the same speed? (will the speed be the same)

The plates are cool to watch and this girl will make 90+ like a rocket. How will it behave with packing? Will I end up with a highbred? Plates with added packing?

Let the research begin.
oldnbroke
Novice

Post by oldnbroke »

i'd name her Fonda Peters.
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

oldnbroke wrote:i'd name her Fonda Peters.
I think we have settled on Sexy Girl or Lilly, although I did like the sound of Wet Wendy.
guittarmaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by guittarmaster »

Heard this song and thought you might like it, if for no other reason for namesake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I69GmDHKvI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
IrishStar56
Novice

Post by IrishStar56 »

Hey MR,
I love shiny copper and brass even if I don't have a clue what it is, what it does or what it's for and I don't care it's bootiful!! :crazy:

Nice, Nice, Nice! job.

I.S.56 8)
I'm not as thunk as some drinkle peep I am!.... but the drunker I stand here the longer I get...... hic!
FloridaShiner
Novice

Post by FloridaShiner »

This is distillin in style!! Thats some outstandin work right there MR!
seaguy
Swill Maker

Post by seaguy »

That's quite a conversation piece. Very nice work indeed :clap:
2" x 5' Boka, 3/8" coil on 3/4" cold finger, SS 15gal 240v 5.5kw sand element, Tincup's NE555 controller.
astronomical
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by astronomical »

pretty amazing build.. you have me wondering what i can do with some starfire glass (extra clear aquarium glass)... i think after i get my functional build done I will immediately start working on a serious piece of art (functional art).. absolutely stunning though!
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

astronomical wrote:pretty amazing build.. you have me wondering what i can do with some starfire glass (extra clear aquarium glass)... i think after i get my functional build done I will immediately start working on a serious piece of art (functional art).. absolutely stunning though!
Thank you for the compliments. I am pleased to hear you are going to make an art still. I have been encouraging folks to see them as art.
If you like Sexy Girl, here is another Art still that I built. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... t=+muggles

I have a crazy one on the work bench right now. It should be done in a few weeks.
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Victoria, Australia.Usually the shed. Sometimes the cellar.

Post by emptyglass »

You have got me curious about this one...oh well, guess I just have to wait.
You design it, I make it. Copper and Stainless. Down under. PM me.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

mash rookie wrote:
astronomical wrote:pretty amazing build.. you have me wondering what i can do with some starfire glass (extra clear aquarium glass)... i think after i get my functional build done I will immediately start working on a serious piece of art (functional art).. absolutely stunning though!
Thank you for the compliments. I am pleased to hear you are going to make an art still. I have been encouraging folks to see them as art.
If you like Sexy Girl, here is another Art still that I built. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... t=+muggles

I have a crazy one on the work bench right now. It should be done in a few weeks.
I have to admit and I am not going to spill the beans but I just spent 3+ hours at MR's shop, drank his white dog, UJ, and rum so if this doesn't make sense blame it on his hooch. I got a sneak preview of what is coming and I got to tell you this man is an artistic genius.
jus teasin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jus teasin »

Dibs when ya die.
when I get her I'm gonna name her Madonna
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Bushman wrote:
mash rookie wrote:

I have to admit and I am not going to spill the beans but I just spent 3+ hours at MR's shop, drank his white dog, UJ, and rum so if this doesn't make sense blame it on his hooch. I got a sneak preview of what is coming and I got to tell you this man is an artistic genius.

I obviously over served this man. Don’t believe a word he says. I will Say that my booze is damn good. How else do you get a guy to make claims like this??? BM you are a hell of a nice guy. You are welcome in my shop any time.
MR
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

I ran Sexy Girl yesterday with Mr. & Mrs. Bushman in attendance.
He was of course hypnotized by the little windows and boiling action. He couldn’t believe the speed.

I altered the drain modification to put a piece of Pyrex glass tubing in line so I could watch what other tests had shown. When partially open so that liquid backs up behind the valve it drains well. If opened you can see vapor bypassing with some liquid going down. I kept the valve partially closed allowing fluid to drain to the lower plate.

An interesting note to how this affects operation. After initial refluxing and stacking of the plates it is now necessary to drastically reduce coolant to the dephlag to start take off.

At top ABV it is slower. At a normal pace I am not getting quite as high of ABV but a cleaner taste.

I am running her differently now. With cycling in full action I am turning my dephlag down and taking off at 85% at rocket fast speed. Faster then normal for her before modification. 12 gallons 1/2- 2 hours. Even at this lower ABV the product is cleaner tasting.

I am going to solder the mod in place and make it permanent. It works.
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Victoria, Australia.Usually the shed. Sometimes the cellar.

Post by emptyglass »

mash rookie wrote:He was of course hypnotized by the little windows and boiling action. He couldn’t believe the speed.
the little windows have that effect.
mash rookie wrote:II am running her differently now. With cycling in full action I am turning my dephlag down and taking off at 85% at rocket fast speed. Faster then normal for her before modification. 12 gallons 1/2- 2 hours. Even at this lower ABV the product is cleaner tasting.
1/2- 2 hours...can you expand a bit on this? From heat up or boiling/start reflux?
Are you refluxing much when running at 85%?

I'm liking the drain tube idea, now I got mine finished...
You design it, I make it. Copper and Stainless. Down under. PM me.
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

1/2- 2 hours...can you expand a bit on this? From heat up or boiling/start reflux?
Are you refluxing much when running at 85%?
That did not include about 40 minutes to come up with electric heat. That was run time. Yes still refluxing a lot particularly with the drain but using very little coolant for forced refluxing. With the drain running, less has to be forcibly held back with the reflux condenser. (dephlag-o-watch call it).

Using my recycle drain under normal settings slowed take off but raised ABV a couple of points. I have found that I still get a cleaner taste using the recycle drain even when taking off faster at a lower ABV. I am not sure I completely understand the relationship. I know there are more reflux cycles occurring. The product is definitely cleaner.

Running a four or five plate flute using the reflux condenser to force the vapor back down to raise ABV does not perform the same as a taller column with greater number of plates. Some commercial distilleries use a ten plate column and only take off at 150P to make “Legal Bourbon Whisky”
Height is needed for fraction separation. I have effectively changed my column to at least a seven plate rig. Possibly a little more.

I'm liking the drain tube idea, now I got mine finished...
With your larger drains, I hope you have the volume to recycle. As I stated on your post, You might already be getting more cycles with yoyr larger drains.