Parrot for Dark Corner Disitillery

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Parrot for Dark Corner Disitillery

Post by Kentucky shinner »

My son recently built a parrot for Dark Corner Distillery in south Carolina. I just thought I would share this with you. He is quite good at fabricating. This was his design and his build.
Attachments
Parrot
Parrot
HD PIC.JPG (13.67 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Parrot for Dark Corner Disitillery

Post by Braz »

Pretty.

A question, though. Is there any problem introducing the spirit high up in the tube. Most I have seen have the input near the bottom of the tube. Is there a chance that the "newer" distillate would stay high in the tube and the "older" stay in the bottom, confusing your readings?
Braz
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Congratulations Mike. Its wonderful to see your son has your skills. Good times ahead!

My son does not have my mechanical skills that I got from my father.

A question, though. Is there any problem introducing the spirit high up in the tube. Most I have seen have the input near the bottom of the tube. Is there a chance that the "newer" distillate would stay high in the tube and the "older" stay in the bottom, confusing your readings?
It will work great. If you have ever had to add a splash of water or booze to your test tube when diluting for sampling you will see that your meter will respond instantly without additional mixing. The meter is reacting to the total contents.

edited because cant spell
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

mash rookie wrote:It will work great. If you have ever had to add a splash of water or booze to your test tube when diluting for sampling you will see that your meter will respond instantly without additional mixing. The meter is reacting to the total contents.

That's interesting MR as I have only seen them designed near the base!
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Bushman wrote:
mash rookie wrote:It will work great. If you have ever had to add a splash of water or booze to your test tube when diluting for sampling you will see that your meter will respond instantly without additional mixing. The meter is reacting to the total contents.

That's interesting MR as I have only seen them designed near the base!

As have I Bushman.

Its not our conventional thinking about hydraulically replacing fluid with fresh stuff but after seeing how easily a ABV meter reacts to changes I believe it would work fine. Very little mixing if any is necessary to affect SG in the tube. His entrance tube is angled downward and would cause turbulance. That would result in sufient mixing. My money is on the kid!
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Okay they liked the first one enough they have purchased another parrot. This are exclusive one Offs. they are designed to float a alcohol Meter that is 1.5" in diameter.
These are some really nice guys that own and operate this distillery. My son and I plan to visit with these fellows soon to discuss future business.
My son is amazing with his fabrication Ideas. He strive for perfection in everything he builds. He has become my quality inspector. He is very picky about what goes out the door here at Hillbilly Stills.
I hope you see the craftsman ship in his builds.
Thank you Mike
AKA Kentucky Shinner
Attachments
dark horse 2.jpg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Kentucky shinner wrote:Okay they liked the first one enough they have purchased another parrot. This are exclusive one Offs. they are designed to float a alcohol Meter that is 1.5" in diameter.
These are some really nice guys that own and operate this distillery. My son and I plan to visit with these fellows soon to discuss future business.
My son is amazing with his fabrication Ideas. He strive for perfection in everything he builds. He has become my quality inspector. He is very picky about what goes out the door here at Hillbilly Stills.
I hope you see the craftsman ship in his builds.
Thank you Mike
AKA Kentucky Shinner
Yes, your son is very talented should be a good addition to the family business!
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Kentucky shinner wrote:My son is amazing with his fabrication Ideas. He strive for perfection in everything he builds. He has become my quality inspector. He is very picky about what goes out the door here at Hillbilly Stills.
Tell your son that there is a high spot in the product take off cooling coil... :esurprised: :shh:
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Yes, your son is very talented should be a good addition to the family business!

Pluss one!
Congratulations Mike. Its wonderful to see your son has your skills. Good times ahead!
Is that okay to quote yourself?
banter_king
Swill Maker

Post by banter_king »

looks great. Its also great to hear those are great guys over there. That is right up the road from me. I might just have to try to stop in to say hello.
Knee deep in the cool and soothing waters of ol' Cripple Creek
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

rad14701 wrote:
Kentucky shinner wrote:My son is amazing with his fabrication Ideas. He strive for perfection in everything he builds. He has become my quality inspector. He is very picky about what goes out the door here at Hillbilly Stills.
Tell your son that there is a high spot in the product take off cooling coil... :esurprised: :shh:
Good catch, I was looking at it's beauty and not it's function.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

rad14701 wrote:
It functions perfectly. I think it is just picture. We tested with a BB first then ran water through. She works perfectly.. Sorry Rad. but Its all good man.
thanks
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I for one think its a horrible design. Don't send it to them. You should send it to me. I will dispose of it proper. :moresarcasm: :lolno: I tried. :lol: Give the kid a pat on the head. Nice work KS Jr. :thumbup:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Nice design Mike. Been very busy with work here, so I'm glad I'm getting some HD time in. Should slow down in a week or 2 then I'll be back to my own build... Glad to see you got the young un's involved... :thumbup:

Keep up the good work man... :ewink:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

Nice. Tell KS Jr that's some darn fine work.
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

I am sure he is reading all the comments. I will tell him to take a look though. He has been hanging around here for quite some time now doing lots of research. He is in the shop with my full time now. Thanks for the comments guys.
KS
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I looked for some current press releases back just after their grand opening this past summer. I was in SC and really wanted to tour their operation.
thought they used a local Guy for the fabricating?
Good for you Mike for having the good exposure.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yea your right Larry, they had a local guy build there pot still. It is a very nice looking still. I think Joe designed it and there local fabricator built it for them. Joe is one of the owners. I must say Joe and Rick are both very nice guys. I have a guy that helps about 2 days a week with us in the shop, he was down there last week on vacation. He stopped by and he said they for sure gave him the grand tour. He was wearing one of my hats and they made him give it up, they gave him one of theirs.
The are pretty cool guys. My son and I are hopping to make a trip down there before long to talk with them about some future expansion they are wanting to do. My buddy will be back in the shop tomorrow. He is bringing me a bottle they sent to me to try. I will let you know how there product is after tomorrow.
KS
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Nice bit of networking and good fellowship to boot.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.