My BrewHaus

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

fullhouse
Rumrunner

My BrewHaus

Post by fullhouse »

finally got around to getting a few pics of the BH...i did away with the water kit that came with it and made a manifold type system that recirculates tru a 60 gallon olive barrel outside...split the inlet and outlet from the pump for head and condenser to be able to control separate.
I need to find a way to get rid of the rubber bung up top...sugestions ? its a 3 inch column.
also would like to change the hoses on the head to copper need to find fittings for 1/2" OD to 1/2" copper i guess
running rice gerber
running rice gerber
water manifold
water manifold
3' Essential Extractor PSII High Capacity (Brewhaus) on gas,recirculating 60 gal olive barrel for cooling
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for ~ Socrates
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: My BrewHaus

Post by Prairiepiss »

Have a 3" triclamp flange welded on top and use a triclamp cap gasket and clamp.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
fullhouse
Rumrunner

Post by fullhouse »

excellent idea...thanks Mr P. think ill call BH and see what they would charge to do it for me if i send it back to them ...live in a small town not sure who even welds stainless and not sure i want the questions from the locals yanno
3' Essential Extractor PSII High Capacity (Brewhaus) on gas,recirculating 60 gal olive barrel for cooling
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for ~ Socrates
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

looks good :thumbup:
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Kiwikeg
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kiwikeg »

find a plumber or someone with the right size hole saw to cut one out of nontoxic wood. or whittle one to fit- my euro 60 had a similar bung at top i am currently using a bung i roughed up out of a bit or a deadfall oak branch i found that was the right diameter. but a triclamp would be tidier.
Fjard
Novice

Post by Fjard »

you can silver solder the TriClamp Ferrul on if you can't find a local welder.
fullhouse
Rumrunner

Post by fullhouse »

ahhh think im liking the wod stopper will be better than the rubber for now anyways...and i have wood shop tools i can do it with. thinking nice piece of hickory or white oak!

i can solder but havent tried the heavy gauge stuff yet...but will keep it in mind as another option if all else fails!
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

Yup. I'd say wood with ptfe tape. No need for copper for cooling lines though. What you have is fine.
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
fullhouse
Rumrunner

Post by fullhouse »

yeah i just want to tidy up the cross tubes a bit with copper...works great like it is tho
likkerluvver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likkerluvver »

Check these out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EG14R3-0-3-Sani ... 23080ab10a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It is an interference fit. Put the top column in a freezer for a few hours, heat up the fitting and use a mallet to tap it on so that the flange surface is level with the top of the 3" tube.

A 3" Teflon gasket, a 3" end cap (with a thermowell added for temp. readings when refluxing) and a 3" tri-clamp and you're good to go. That's what I have for my 3" BH rig. Works a treat. :thumbup:

LL
Having fun stillin' seriously..... This antique engine runs best on high octane.
fullhouse
Rumrunner

Post by fullhouse »

likker~ really like that idea thankz
does the fitting go inside the pipe or outside?
likkerluvver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likkerluvver »

The fitting goes outside the pipe. The inside diameter is probably a few thou. less than 3".

When it is driven right down onto the pipe, the Teflon gasket will seal against the pipe and the fitting - not that much (anything?) would escape through that tight interference fit.

LL
Having fun stillin' seriously..... This antique engine runs best on high octane.
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

Sweet!!! You and I have bout the same setup...(Mrs Bessie Pearl)...I need to insulate mine. What is the name of the insulation u have? Have u noticed how hot your reflux lines get when running in pot still mode? My lowest (input) line fell off from heat and gravity...I justhave wittled a piecelittle of pignutthe hickory for a plug, then drilledI a hole for the thermometer. Wish I would have ordered a digital, sucks to keep climbing ladder to check temp... anywaz good looking still man!!!
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
fullhouse
Rumrunner

Post by fullhouse »

actually the inso is 2 layers of 1/2 inch excersize floor pad with heating duct thermo tape works great...as for the lines i take mine off when pot stillin....had em hooked one time in pot mode and blew a line due to pressure ...i also picked up a digital thermometer at walmart for 15 bucks with a 3 ft line on it also has a magnet on back but had to tape a washer to the column inso so it would stick where i wanted it
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

The top of my still is 2" copper and the dephleg goes thru a 2" copper cap which just slides over the pipe. I planned to use some teflon tape if it leaked, but it doesn't. Hey, one more option.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
RidgebackDad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RidgebackDad »

likkerluvver wrote:Check these out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EG14R3-0-3-Sani ... 23080ab10a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It is an interference fit. Put the top column in a freezer for a few hours, heat up the fitting and use a mallet to tap it on so that the flange surface is level with the top of the 3" tube.

A 3" Teflon gasket, a 3" end cap (with a thermowell added for temp. readings when refluxing) and a 3" tri-clamp and you're good to go. That's what I have for my 3" BH rig. Works a treat. :thumbup:
Hi Likkerluvver,

I too have the same set up as you and fullhouse, but I'm having a hard time visualizing how this would work... do you have a picture of the top that you could share?

-RidgebackDad
Thedrayman
Novice

Post by Thedrayman »

I was/am disappointed with my brewhaus HC ii, so my pipe welder has it now. I separated the condenser and put a 3" on each end so if I need it some day I can clamp it on. The reflux now has a tri clamp on each end. I put a 1/2" female ss weld butt at the top of the lower tube, opposite end of screen welded inside. This is for a thermometer. The rest of the upper tube I made another thermometer tri clamp small tube. Now........I have two 3"elbows, a 45, a 3-1" reducer. My first test was just the bottom tube, thermo, packed with copper, clamp the els on top, im going to experiment with the reflux on the output side of the els into the 45, then the reducer and then into a copper condenser I made and a home made parrot. This is my pot still sort of and it cranks a lot better than the original. Next run I am going to put the other tube on, another thermo before the els and pack the whole tower, run it pot style and see what type of return it gives. My original started at 80% so I am hoping to get a little more and interested to see how it runs with the reflux on the output side. I'm shooting blind here but after seeing all these designs with the defleg opposite the tower it looks as though it almost pulls the vapors to the slightly cooler zone. It's an experiment.........lol.
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

Thedrayman wrote:I was/am disappointed with my brewhaus HC ii, so my pipe welder has it now. I separated the condenser and put a 3" on each end so if I need it some day I can clamp it on. The reflux now has a tri clamp on each end. I put a 1/2" female ss weld butt at the top of the lower tube, opposite end of screen welded inside. This is for a thermometer. The rest of the upper tube I made another thermometer tri clamp small tube. Now........I have two 3"elbows, a 45, a 3-1" reducer. My first test was just the bottom tube, thermo, packed with copper, clamp the els on top, im going to experiment with the reflux on the output side of the els into the 45, then the reducer and then into a copper condenser I made and a home made parrot. This is my pot still sort of and it cranks a lot better than the original. Next run I am going to put the other tube on, another thermo before the els and pack the whole tower, run it pot style and see what type of return it gives. My original started at 80% so I am hoping to get a little more and interested to see how it runs with the reflux on the output side. I'm shooting blind here but after seeing all these designs with the defleg opposite the tower it looks as though it almost pulls the vapors to the slightly cooler zone. It's an experiment.........lol.

Good luck!
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Thedrayman
Novice

Post by Thedrayman »

I can't send a pic from my iPad..........anyone know how to do that?.........lol....
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Thedrayman wrote:I can't send a pic from my iPad..........anyone know how to do that?.........lol....
Try to copy from pic gallery then paste it here or in the file below when you go to post,this works for e-mails dont know if it supported here. Can you understand this I am trying but ? My words dont make sense most of the time! :crazy:
It is what you make it
Thedrayman
Novice

Post by Thedrayman »

I can copy the pic but I can't paste it here
RidgebackDad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RidgebackDad »

Posting from the iPad to the forum isn't supported (as far as I can tell - I've tried it several times). The only way I've found is to sync your iPad to your computer and post it (upload it) from there.

RBD
Thedrayman
Novice

Post by Thedrayman »

I'm tryin.......lol
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

I use these all the time, recessless ferrules, force them over the outside of the SS pipe with a rubber hammer or wood 2x4. Heating and cooling helps. And they are reusable later!
IMAG0013.jpg
After you put a ferrule on the top of your CM, you can add a reflux condenser and have a VM!
all SS condenser.jpg
All done in SS without welding or soldering.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

Dad, where can I get one of those recessless feruls?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Thedrayman
Novice

Post by Thedrayman »

I believe those are called roll on ferruls, they are intended ta be rolled into permanent place so they don't come apart. Say you were transferring beer to a tank with a good pump, those babies need to be secured, not just slipped over the pipe and call it a day.......otherwise there is the chance of a loose enough clamp and the two can be separated. I have a few of these leftover from a brewpub that went out of business in southern Vermont. And I will never reuse them. Go to http://www.gwkent.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow and looks thru the prices........we buy a lot of fittings for my brewery there. That's where i got all my 3" fittings ( tc) from for my new build.......but be very careful with a roll on ferrul.......we would never use them at the brewery.
Last edited by Thedrayman on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thedrayman
Novice

Post by Thedrayman »

GW Kent doesn't sell them, I did a search.......I don't know any professional brewers, including myself, that uses these.........so I gave my warning to all......lol........

Get your ferrules welded on!........

The roll on ferrules should also have a tool which crimps or rolls it into a secure situation...........I will check with the last known person that I know used one........as I said.....it's in my garage still attached to the pump........and it don't slide off........
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Warning!!!!!!

If you've got pressures in your still that require a welded ferrule, you're in trouble.

Sanitary Expanding Recessless Clamp Ferrule http://www.ebay.com/itm/EG14R2-0-2-Sani ... 23080aad78" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

They are a press fit, and you drive them on with a mallet or 2x4. They are not rolled on.
rec fer.jpg
rec fer.jpg (1.76 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
I found them initially at a dairy supply. Dairies using 50 psi to pasteurize (HOT) and move milk around the plant over 100's of yards using these ferrules. I use these almost exclusively and they never leak or move on the pipe!
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Thedrayman
Novice

Post by Thedrayman »

Cool, have fun with them.......