New Beer fermenting bucket

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Artie
Novice

New Beer fermenting bucket

Post by Uncle Artie »

Picked up this 5 gallon HDPE bucket from walmart today, for $2.50. I cut a hole just a bit too small for a mason jar in the middle of the lid, and then screwed the jar in tight. This way I can look in without opening the seal and risking contamination. It will also serve as a good way to access the wash without exposing it too much, if need be. The tube will run into a gallon jug, half full of water, as a blow off valve.

Should be perfect for 3 gallon batches of wash for my stock pot still (pics of that once I finish getting it together.) I know the output won't be too much, but this is about as big an operation as I have room for in my apt. right now.
Just getting started, trying not to be another idiot building a poison mill.
fullhouse
Rumrunner

Re: New Beer fermenting bucket

Post by fullhouse »

think im liking the site glass...ive got some pint jars that are not masons maybe mayo jars that have no imbossing on them that would be perfect...some 5 gals can be a bitch to open without disturbing to much... :thumbup:
3' Essential Extractor PSII High Capacity (Brewhaus) on gas,recirculating 60 gal olive barrel for cooling
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for ~ Socrates
Uncle Artie
Novice

Post by Uncle Artie »

fullhouse wrote:some 5 gals can be a bitch to open without disturbing to much... :thumbup:
Yeah man, that is exactly what I was thinking. There were some buckets with looser lids, but I like the idea of a nice tight seal. The back side of that jar has no embossing, so it is pretty easy to see through.
fullhouse
Rumrunner

Post by fullhouse »

i got some of those bucket from wally world also i dont like em cuz they dont have a rubber in the lid to seal em ...a few washes i thought had stalled bcuz the hose wasnt bubblin....But the best buckets i got were from wally world too for FREE ask the bakery for any they have i usually get 3 or 4 every time i go even if i dont need em...the others that i bought i use to store my sugar and grains in bcuz they do open easyer than the good sealing ones
3' Essential Extractor PSII High Capacity (Brewhaus) on gas,recirculating 60 gal olive barrel for cooling
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for ~ Socrates
Uncle Artie
Novice

Post by Uncle Artie »

Did you try putting weather stripping in the bottom of the snap channel in the lid? Works like a charm for me.
fullhouse
Rumrunner

Post by fullhouse »

naaa wont need to now with my new site glasses lol thanks unk artie!lol
Uncle Artie
Novice

Post by Uncle Artie »

Glad someone else digs the idea. My older brother laughed at me and told me to just watch the bubbles come out of the vent tube. I am way too curious for that though. I gotta be able to see what's goin on.
fullhouse
Rumrunner

Post by fullhouse »

i hear ya bro were on the same page lol....im always to temped to open the lid when thing dont seem to be going the way i think they should go
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Nifty little setup you got there. I like the idea for access. But after a while you won't be looking at it. :lol: You will know what's going on without it. :thumbup:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Uncle Artie
Novice

Post by Uncle Artie »

Yeah, my brother said pretty much the same thing.
seaguy
Swill Maker

Post by seaguy »

fullhouse wrote:i got some of those bucket from wally world also i dont like em cuz they dont have a rubber in the lid to seal em ...a few washes i thought had stalled bcuz the hose wasnt bubblin....But the best buckets i got were from wally world too for FREE ask the bakery for any they have i usually get 3 or 4 every time i go even if i dont need em...the others that i bought i use to store my sugar and grains in bcuz they do open easyer than the good sealing ones
I think the lids AceHW sells have the gaskets in them. seems like they were 1.50 ea I never snap them down anyway....just weight them with bricks. Never lost a ferment yet :ebiggrin: of course I haven't used mine for beer so whada I know :roll:
2" x 5' Boka, 3/8" coil on 3/4" cold finger, SS 15gal 240v 5.5kw sand element, Tincup's NE555 controller.
Uncle Artie
Novice

Post by Uncle Artie »

Pretty much the only difference between beer wart and whiskey mash is hops.
Thedrayman
Novice

Post by Thedrayman »

Uncle Artie wrote:Pretty much the only difference between beer wart and whiskey mash is hops.

So.......lol......if I add hops to my mash I will have beer wort......(wart.......love it)......lol..........