Pintoshine 6 gallon Still

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dad2five
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Pintoshine 6 gallon Still

Post by dad2five »

greasydog26 wrote:. Also, cold water runs in the top and hot water out the bottom of your flake stand.
Is that right? I don't have a wormy flake, but I thought any condenser the water flow (cold in hot out) was supposed to be in the opposite direction of vapor flow? Doesn't that help to prevent huffing?

...but hey, I'm new here.
Uncle Jemima
Swill Maker

Post by Uncle Jemima »

Yeah Dad2Five. That's how my flake stand runs.

Great looking rig Greasy. Wish I had the skills to do that. Very cool.
I’m Uncle Jemima. You probably know my wife, Aunt Jemima, the Pancake Lady.
TOAD
Bootlegger

Post by TOAD »

Thats just it man! This is HOW you develop your skills! Replace your ''i wish i could" with "i will" and before you know it you will be pounden' copper rivets and slingen' sodder like a madman. Believe in yourself and do it cas you know you can! Who's awesome? You are! (i blame redbull for this post)
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. Lamb Of God

KCSO- keep calm, shine on
greasydog26
Novice

Post by greasydog26 »

Thanks for all the likes guys! TOAD, I like your enthusiasm! I have actually never done any copper or solder work but I'm glad that I took the leap and it's not as hard as you might think. That is the reason that I wanted to post all of this so that anyone could look back at the pictures and follow the step. I had my cold going in the bottom when I first started my cleaning run but by the time the water made it to the top it was hot, and I couldn't increase my flow anymore because it was flowing out of my flake stand. That is when I switched the cold to the top. I'm going to have to read into it some more as I'm sure you all are right about the position.
Check out my still at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsIn_5mvdWo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Uncle Jemima
Swill Maker

Post by Uncle Jemima »

Damn Toad. I'm ready to run through a wall and hammer some copper into shape with my bare fists and solder it with fire from my eyes now. :)

One of these days I'll build a legit old style still. Pretty sure my wife would send me to sleep in the garage long term if I even mentioned any more purchases related to this hobby right now though.
I’m Uncle Jemima. You probably know my wife, Aunt Jemima, the Pancake Lady.
greasydog26
Novice

Post by greasydog26 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTtONnbCdxQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Click on the link to see my still while I'm doing a cleaning run!
Check out my still at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsIn_5mvdWo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
TOAD
Bootlegger

Post by TOAD »

It looks very cool, man. But just a thought about your parot. Because your collecting such a small amount of distillate, you may want to collect in a glass tube with a hydrometer and pour it into your jar. I imagine the smearing to be epic on such a small scale.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. Lamb Of God

greasydog26
Novice

Post by greasydog26 »

Toad, Do you think it would be bad on a 5 gallon run?
TOAD
Bootlegger

Post by TOAD »

The larger the run is the less significant the smearing will be. I wouldnt use a parot on less than 10gal but thats just me.

Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

Nice looking still. Thanks for the inspiration, now to find copper...
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

What is the trick to cut the dovetails? Obviously not snips , or at least no MY snipping skills. What did you come up with to clean/charge the thumper-it looks sealed.
greasydog26
Novice

Post by greasydog26 »

Softbatch, try here they have really fast shipping and are the cheapest place that I found.

https://www.guttersupply.com/p-Copper-Sheet.gstml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I would cut out whatever pattern you want on posterboard. I did a larger patter like a 1" dovetail, looking back this was a mistake the dovetail is to big that it was hard for the solder to get sucked up into the joint. If I had to do it again I would make the dovetail 1/2" long so that you can solder from inside the vessel. The thumper is sealed and I have to get a long brush to go inside and clean out the thumper. Goodluck man!
rednekk88
Novice

Post by rednekk88 »

Is their copper 99.9% or C110? Their website doesn't indicate what grade it is.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

rednekk88 wrote:Is their copper 99.9% or C110? Their website doesn't indicate what grade it is.
you been on their web site and they don't have any contact information?

no one in either of the threads you posted this question in has been on here

in a very long time. all posts are dated.
be water my friend
rednekk88
Novice

Post by rednekk88 »

I know I have posted to old threads. I did email gutter supply. I just figured I'd ask on here if for some reason the supplier doesn't respond.
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

Spec sheet on their site says 99.9

https://www.guttersupply.com/file_area/ ... ations.doc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
rednekk88
Novice

Post by rednekk88 »

Thank you Sir!!

I guess I totally missed where that info was located. I wanted to make sure I was going to get proper / safe material to use.

Much obliged!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

For a fella who got banned from here Pint sure do pop up on a regular basis ...clever man and knows his shit.
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Post by Reverend Newer »

Guess a real outlaw wouldn't have it any other way.
spiritually taxed circa 1791