Small build starter

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

darkseige
Novice

Small build starter

Post by darkseige »

I am just starting out putting a pot together. I am using a stainless steel 12 qt stock pot, I drilled a hole in the lid for a 2" copper pipe, which I will braze in. I haven't quite decided how long to make the 2" pipe, and originally I had thought about putting copper scrubbers inside, but have decided against it for now. I will step the 2" down to 3/4" and put a 3/4"x3/4"x1/2" tee on it, the leg off the tee will go out at a 45 to the condenser. The lid will be held on to the pot with clamps. Eventually I may step up in size, once I have played around a bit. I will include a picture, because everyone loves pictures. Thanks for reading.
Attachments
IMG_0007.JPG
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Small build starter

Post by ben stiller »

Make the 2 inch pipe the length you need to put the condenser outlet at a good height for collection. The length does not matter and scrubbers won't do anything. Think about finding a stainless bowl to go onto your pot inverted. It will give you more head space so that you can use more of the pots volume. Looks like you have a good start. Pay attention to what is in the brazing rod that you are going to use,
darkseige
Novice

Post by darkseige »

As far as the pipe to mate up for the condenser, I can always adjust the condenser height as required, not set solid there. I have thought about a stainless bowl as well, thanks, I literally just got the pot yesterday, still playing around. And as far as the brazing rod goes, its a lead free silver brazing rod, is that what you were referring to? Thanks for asking, never hurts to double check.
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

Take a look at the contents of the rod. Been some discussion about some brazing rod containing cadmium which is considered bad in a still.
darkseige
Novice

Post by darkseige »

ben stiller wrote:Take a look at the contents of the rod. Been some discussion about some brazing rod containing cadmium which is considered bad in a still.
Ok, I will, thanks for the heads up.
darkseige
Novice

Post by darkseige »

IMG_0029.JPG
I decided to find a stainless bowl that was the same size as the pot, I really liked the idea of having more head space. I have the pipe soldered in to the bowl, obviously I still need to add my reducers and some more copper, but I am getting there.

One question I have is what others gasket of choice is? I had read one article where a guy used teflon tape wrapped around the rim of the pot and folded over the top. I like that idea, I also have read and seen alot of people using the flour paste to make a gasket. Any ideas and opinions are gladly welcome.

(Sorry about the picture sideways, not sure how to make it appear straight)
thisguy
Swill Maker

Post by thisguy »

I just use flower paste. Yah its messy, but its not too bad once you get used to it. Clean up isnt too bad either. I use it on the lid and any joint in question that may need it. I havent had any leaks or anything.

Others use PTFE tape for the lid.
Lighting new cigarettes
Pouring more Drinks
It has been a beautiful Fight
Still Is

Work hard and say its easy...Cranky's Spoon Feeding
Concentric Still Build
mixxer
Novice

Post by mixxer »

Cardboard cut in to a circular strip and wrapped in PTFE tape is another common choice for seals.

What type of condenser are you going to use?
ShineRunnah
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunnah »

A little bit of info on column height, as it does have a bit of an effect on the flavor of your product.
If you research the stills used by Scotch whisky distillers, you will see they design their stills and lyne arms with certain features and dimensions to help them achieve the quality, character and flavor profile they desire in their spirit.

For instance, Glenmorangie has a light, yet complex flavor, due in great part to the fact that they have the tallest stills in Scotland with a height of 26', the columns being 16'10" tall.
Glenfiddich uses 2 distinctly different shaped spirit still columns, and blends the product of each together to get their unique flavor.
And makers of whisky with robust flavor, such as Lagavulin, use rather short stills.

The taller, more narrow columns allow more of the oily substances in the distillate to remain in the boiler, creating a lighter flavor. As I understand, they essentially produce more natural reflux action.
The bulbous shapes of some stills also contribute to the flavor, as do the neck constriction present in some stills (Glenkinchie).

The links below add a bit more info applicable to this topic, and may be of interest.
http://www.whisky.com/index.php?id=313& ... gle.com%2F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://www.reddit.com/r/Scotch/comments ... ct_on_the/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://whiskyscience.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I personally feel there is a lot more to column height, shape and overall still design (in regard to flavor imparted upon the spirit) than is often implied. I am not saying anyone is wrong, merely that this is an often overlooked subject that I feel deserves some attention and consideration by those designing a new still, or even a new column to be added to an old still.

I have done some very rudimentary testing of the effect of column height and diameter and it's effect on flavor, and I feel there is definitely some effect.
For most, the effect may not be great enough to warrant consideration.

Good luck and happy stillin!

If you
live_free
Novice

Post by live_free »

nice start. as right as shinerunnah is with the size of the rig id go with a column height that is more convenient for take off. probably want to use a liebig and i dont know the math off the top of my head to tell you the size. i used the cardboard wrapped in ptfe tape for years but it was only a 2" gasket for a keg. making one for that rig would take some time :) but would work and be reusable
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Yea, for a little hobby still, I would go with whatever height and size is convenient. The size and shape may matter on the giant 26 foot bohemoth stills but the vapor is going to pass by everything so quick on a little stock pot I don't think it is worth the effort or dollars to worry about.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
BentJar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BentJar »

amen to what houndog sayed. A still like that don't need no bells. good to learn on and work on fermenting, and show you what you need for the next still build. Like... a keg...5 feet of 2 inch copper pipe....etc

It would be a good idea to remove the tee and solder in a fitting that you can loosen and swivel. Good for storage and collection angle.

bent
OLD MAN IN THE SHED
ShineRunnah
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunnah »

I don't think you guys realize exactly what I'm implying. The column height scales somewhat to the overall size of the still. It doesn't need to be 16' tall to have an effect.

My tests were with columns 6", 16", 24", 32" and finally 40", and using a charge from a single wash for each test. From 6" to 24" was a very noticeable difference. So it doesn't take a huge change to affect the spirit produced.

With a small still, a foot of height can make a noticeable difference. As can a change in diameter, like necking from 2" to 1" at a foot of height, running the 1" up another foot and then transitioning to the lyne arm.

We're not dealing with 1000+ gallon stills and 12" diameter columns. These are small stills, and smaller changes will produce changes.
darkseige
Novice

Post by darkseige »

mixxer wrote:Cardboard cut in to a circular strip and wrapped in PTFE tape is another common choice for seals.

What type of condenser are you going to use?
I am just using a simple coil condenser, 3/8" tubing, about 10 wraps on about an 8" circle.
BentJar wrote:amen to what houndog sayed. A still like that don't need no bells. good to learn on and work on fermenting, and show you what you need for the next still build. Like... a keg...5 feet of 2 inch copper pipe....etc

It would be a good idea to remove the tee and solder in a fitting that you can loosen and swivel. Good for storage and collection angle.

bent
The tee and runoff pipe are not soldered on to the top, that way I can take it off and clean it. I will paste it up when I do a run. I will attach my latest picture.

Thanks everyone.
Attachments
image.jpg
darkseige
Novice

Post by darkseige »

IMG_0054.JPG
An update, I have my still and condenser all done, now it's time for cleaning. I figure this weekend I might get a cleaning run and sacrificial run in.

And here is the condenser, I soldered the copper tube on the side, just so it had some support, also so it wasn't sitting in the bottom of the bucket.
IMG_0055.JPG
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

ShineRunnah wrote:I don't think you guys realize exactly what I'm implying. The column height scales somewhat to the overall size of the still. It doesn't need to be 16' tall to have an effect.

My tests were with columns 6", 16", 24", 32" and finally 40", and using a charge from a single wash for each test. From 6" to 24" was a very noticeable difference. So it doesn't take a huge change to affect the spirit produced.

With a small still, a foot of height can make a noticeable difference. As can a change in diameter, like necking from 2" to 1" at a foot of height, running the 1" up another foot and then transitioning to the lyne arm.

We're not dealing with 1000+ gallon stills and 12" diameter columns. These are small stills, and smaller changes will produce changes.
You are incorrect in your assumptions... A hobby scale pot stills will not benefit from columns and bulbs like full scale distillery units do... Those stills are scaled more by volume and vapor speed, something we can't do at the hobby scale... You can spin it any way you want to and try making a fancy still but it won't make much if any difference on such a small scale... Remember, we're talking the same vapor temperatures, just on vastly different scales...

Column height may make a marginal amount of difference, but not enough to be overly concerned about... That isn't to say that running taller columns in a cooler stilling area wouldn't promote more parasitic reflux than in a warmer area, however... It's all about the big picture... Look at the overall topology of some of the major distilleries... Some have the boilers on one floor, which stays warm, the tops on another floor that isn't heated by anything other than the heads and lyne arms, with the condensers in yet another area... And every distillery conveys the belief that their methodology and topology are the best way to go...

Not saying you're 100% wrong, just saying we don't want novices coming here thinking they can get improved results by building some spraddle-legged coat hanger of a still... And you can't get flavor out of a still that wasn't already in the wash... The rest is up to oaking and aging...
CR33G3R
Swill Maker

Post by CR33G3R »

That looks similar to the first still that I built. You can learn allot on that thing. :thumbup:
Still learnin...
MY CCVM
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

ShineRunnah wrote:I don't think you guys realize exactly what I'm implying. The column height scales somewhat to the overall size of the still. It doesn't need to be 16' tall to have an effect.

Sounds like you have done appropriate testing and have empirical evidence on which to base your statements. I will put more stock in that than assertions with nothing to back them up.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"