Goofy things I do

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Re: Goofy things I do

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:41 pm Drink plenty of Gin Coog ....it will relax the back muscles and aid healing.
I knew it! Thanks SBB.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

The other day I did what was hoped to be the final pressure check of the new shotgun. It went pretty well but when left for a while it developed a small slightly damp area on both the top and the bottom. Since I'm very satisfied with it overall my plan is to use a small dab of solder on both those locations and call it finished :D Then I guess I will start thinking about doing the cleaning runs and such for it.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Pics bruh
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Start here, scroll down
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55608&start=420
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

The only pic I took of the latest work was this
s.g. 15 may 22 - C.JPG
Not much to look at but that's the point I'm at right now. All that's left is a bit of soldering but I need to get another bottle of propane and some more flux to do that.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I failed to get to the hardware store to get a new bottle of propane and flux last week so I couldn't do the last few things on the new condenser this week...but there is still one thing for it I could work on.

Because I welded the bottom plate I wound up making the tubes more or less flush with the plate so I feel it needs a cap to funnel the product to a more limited area. Now of course if I had local access to a 1.5" reducer the problem would be easily solved but 1.5" fittings are becoming difficult to find locally and I kind of want to stay with the whole "use what I have on hand" theme. So, what I have on hand is a few 1.5" couplings so I took one to work with me today to see about transforming it into a bottom end cap/ reducer... I should have taken 2 because things got kind of messy but it's working out OK so far.

So, to begin with I took my 1.5" coupling and wrapped a piece of paper around it and marked the paper so I had a "measurement" of the exact circumference.
S.G.22 MAY 22 #1 - C.jpg
I then folded the paper so I had equal spaces around the coupling
S.G.22 MAY 22 #2 - C.jpg
and marked the coupling

Then I drew some lines to pie cut the coupling
S.G.22 MAY 22 #4 - C.jpg
and cut it on the band saw
S.G.22 MAY 22 #5 - C.jpg
This is where I realized my mistake. I should have only cut every other one so the pieces tapered leaving an opening but what I did caused a full closure, which was not what I was after but my solution was to extend the cut and taper them with the belt sander and essentially shorten the whole thing by 1/4". This worked ok so I then set about welding it up.

I had a few minor burn throughs but I've heard that "if you you can step across it you can weld it" so that's what I did and it turned out fine.

I then sanded the outside down to make it prettier and sort of smoothed out the center hole and any ugly repair welds, the non repair welds are actually quite good with perfect penetration.
S.G.22 MAY 22 #6 - C.jpg
S.G.22 MAY 22 #7 - C.jpg
My next plan is to weld on an extension piece but I haven't decided if it will be 1/2", 3/4", 1" or what I'm favoring is a clover shaped piece made out of 1/2" pieces to give it a bit of an artistic quality.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Love the method of equally dividing the circumference Cranky , never would gave thought of that .
Thats not goofy , it’s clever :thumbup:
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Yummyrum wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:06 am Love the method of equally dividing the circumference Cranky , never would gave thought of that .
If it's useful to anyone, there's a geometrical method using straight edge and compass for dividing a line into any number of identical segments. I can sketch it out, but I don't want to derail the thread if I'm the only one who loves geeky geometry!
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

NormandieStill wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:58 am
Yummyrum wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:06 am Love the method of equally dividing the circumference Cranky , never would gave thought of that .
If it's useful to anyone, there's a geometrical method using straight edge and compass for dividing a line into any number of identical segments. I can sketch it out, but I don't want to derail the thread if I'm the only one who loves geeky geometry!
See, that's the whole point of my method, it's lazy :D No geometry, no dividers, no rulers, no measuring and very little thinking, just a piece of paper and a pen and less than a minute it was done.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I welded on the end pipe today, which went pretty well. I was going to make a clover shaped piece but decided I didn't want to do that much work so chose a 3/4" piece of pipe instead.

This is what it looks like right now.
REDUCER - C.JPG
I didn't sand blast it yet because I forgot to bring a piece of 1.5" to make sure it fits but when I got home it fits fine so tomorrow I'll sand blast it, smooth out any rough prats and call it finished. I still need to figure out how to secure it to the condenser... :problem: ...I'm thinking maybe a couple of set screws.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Just a bit of a crimp, or some dimples should provide enough

of an interference fit if you are not soldering or welding it on.
be water my friend
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Hey Cranky ,you mentioned sandblasting … interested . Damn keen to see how / whats involved with this .
Post it here or somewhere else ….. Iff’n you got a chance
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Yummyrum wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:50 am Hey Cranky ,you mentioned sandblasting … interested . Damn keen to see how / whats involved with this .
Post it here or somewhere else ….. Iff’n you got a chance
I'm not sure there is much to say. We have a sandblasting cabinet at work, I think it's currently loaded with walnut shell but I'm not positive. I just put the part in the cabinet, flip the switch, point the nozzle at the part and step on the pedal. I'm sure it acts similar to shot peening and work hardens the surface. It certainly gets much more difficult to manipulate afterwards. I do like the look of the sandblasted copper.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Today I sandblaster the reducer.
REDUCER 26 MAY 22 #1 - C.JPG
REDUCER 26 MAY 22 #2 - C.JPG
and to tell you the truth I'm not happy with it. Ordinarily I might be fine with it but I'm trying to make this one pretty ...so... :problem: I think this coming weekend I'm going to take another coupling and remake a reducer that I will hopefully like
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

cranky wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:59 pm Today I sandblaster the reducer.

and to tell you the truth I'm not happy with it. Ordinarily I might be fine with it but I'm trying to make this one pretty ...so...
Cranky, get a couple of shaped fine files, not sure if your hardware supplier has them but the alternative place would be craft shop / hobby shop / jewellery supplies. That will clean that copper up in no time, then a bit of wet and dry and you will be home and hosed in no time IMO.

You could also try a dremel. I had an old dentist drill until recently.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:17 pm
cranky wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:59 pm Today I sandblaster the reducer.

and to tell you the truth I'm not happy with it. Ordinarily I might be fine with it but I'm trying to make this one pretty ...so...
Cranky, get a couple of shaped fine files, not sure if your hardware supplier has them but the alternative place would be craft shop / hobby shop / jewellery supplies. That will clean that copper up in no time, then a bit of wet and dry and you will be home and hosed in no time IMO.

You could also try a dremel. I had an old dentist drill until recently.
It's not so much a matter of cleaning it up, I just don't like the way it looks.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

So, today I took a new coupling to work to see if I can make what I've pictured in my head.

So, just as before I used a piece of paper to make the marks and cut Vs in the coupling, this time leaving space in between
REDUCER 27 MAY 22 #1 - C.JPG
Then bent it in with a pair of long duck bill pliers
REDUCER 27 MAY 22 #2 - C.JPG
REDUCER 27 MAY 22 #3 - C.JPG
This was the look I was going for

Next I welded it up, cleaned it up, adjusted the fit on a piece of 1.5 pipe and sandblasted it
REDUCER 27 MAY 22 #4 - C.JPG
The opening is a little larger than I planned on but I'm much happier with this one
REDUCER 27 MAY 22 #5 - C.JPG
REDUCER 27 MAY 22 #6 - C.JPG
I still have a little cleaning up to do on the inside but overall I'm happy with it :D

I also made it to the store to get flux and a new propane bottle so hopefully tomorrow I can get that little bit of soldering done.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I have one more picture for Y'all. This is what the reducer looks like installed
REDUCER 27 MAY 22 #7 - C.JPG
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

That looks quite tidy, Cranky.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

NZChris wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:04 pm That looks quite tidy, Cranky.
Thank you Chris :D
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Today I finished cleaning up the reducer and did the soldering on the condenser. Then I pressure tested it. It held full pressure with no leaks for 30 minutes :D Then I sandblasted it and tested again with the same results. So, the condenser is now ready for cleaning and being put to work :ebiggrin:

So that ends that project, but what's next? :think: Hmmmm....How about a new controller?

A while back I found a great big stainless steel electrical box and was considering making a new controller with that. I already have two of everything to make a controller so why not?..but then as luck would have it I found this in the scrap bin today
controller 28 may 22 #1 - C.JPG
This was some sort of industrial oven controller and I thought it looked pretty cool but then I saw this part and had to take it
CONTROLLER 28 MAY 22 #2 - C.JPG
That says "POWER-O-MATIC Saturable Reactor Control"
FINALLY! A CONTROLLER THAT CAN HAVE A CHERNOBYL SETTING!!! :mrgreen:
It even has that "patina" look of being painted by someone who was told to do a job they didn't want to do and didn't care how good it was then being neglected for a few decades :lol:

I like just about everything about the look of it, the big push button switch, the ugly nondescript paint badly done with a brush, the big ugly dial and even though I don't like analog meters the analog volt meter just looks right.

Inside was kind of a mess
I know the switch is 3 phase and has some sort of relays attached but have no idea how much current it can handle.
CONTROLLER 28 MAY 22 #4 - C.JPG
cONTROLLER 28 MAY 22 #5 - C.JPG
I would assume since it was an industrial oven it can probably easily handle 5500W of two phase but will need to do some research on that.

Anybody know for sure?

As far as the actual saturable reactor I stripped off all the wiring and all those heavy antiquated parts
CONTROLLER 28 MAY 22 #6 - C.JPG
CONTROLLER 28 MAY 22 #7 - C.JPG
and pretty much gutted it with the intention of installing my SSR stuff. I will have to figure out a way to attach that big ugly knob to the little potentiometer I have in order to keep the look but I already have an idea for that.

So that will likely be my next goofy project in the works :D
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I just love the "POWER-O-MATIC Saturable Reactor Control". I would have to build something using that and the box.

Nice score
Chris
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

cranky wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:05 pm I would assume since it was an industrial oven it can probably easily handle 5500W of two phase but will need to do some research on that.

Anybody know for sure?
Wouldn't say I KNOW for sure but the highest rating on the name plate is 3 HP and one horsepower is 746 watts so probably not.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

NZChris wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:42 pm I just love the "POWER-O-MATIC Saturable Reactor Control". I would have to build something using that and the box.

Nice score
Chris
It sort of beckons to be used for something :D I find it hard to believe someone threw that out.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

elbono wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:17 am
cranky wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:05 pm I would assume since it was an industrial oven it can probably easily handle 5500W of two phase but will need to do some research on that.

Anybody know for sure?
Wouldn't say I KNOW for sure but the highest rating on the name plate is 3 HP and one horsepower is 746 watts so probably not.
I know there are some sharp electrical guys around who might be able to help there.
Maybe the smart people around here can find out for sure. I would like to be certain before I throw 20 amps at it...which is what I think my 5500w element draws.

Here are some pics of the switch.
CONTROLLER 29 MAY 22 #1.jpg
CONTROLLER 29 MAY 22 #2.jpg
CONTROLLER 29 MAY 22 #3.jpg
It's an Allen Bradley 609AOWA size 0. It's a 3 phase switch and has two A-B 815 type A x33547 relays on either side.

I did a little bit of searching and it seems like I recall the literature I found saying to use 60 amps fuses (maybe it was 30Amp :think: ) at 240v in 2 phase but that seemed to be based more on the actual fan used rather than the switch itself. I also recall seeing some rather large fuses in the bin but can't say what size they actually were. I could be remembering wrong or interpreting something wrong and need to continue looking but data on this old switch is proving a little difficult to find. What I had found was a picture of an actual paper manual with an NOS switch but can't say for certain I am remembering it correctly.

Most of the internals of this thing seemed very old school and quite complicated...too complicated for my simple mind.

I've been thinking about the project and looking at it and the big stainless steel box and think I can possibly make the two of them work together and still keep the cool old world look :D
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Here is a close up of the volt meter
CONTROLLER 29 MAY 22 #4 - C.jpg
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

cranky wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:04 pm Here are some pics of the switch.
Let me help Cranky, from what I understand, the black one is the "Start" switch, you press that one to start, and the red one is the "Stop" (and "Reset" switch....
Other than that, I'm tapped out and won't be able to help you anymore but I hope it gets you started....
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:38 pm
cranky wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:04 pm Here are some pics of the switch.
Let me help Cranky, from what I understand, the black one is the "Start" switch, you press that one to start, and the red one is the "Stop" (and "Reset" switch....
Other than that, I'm tapped out and won't be able to help you anymore but I hope it gets you started....
:problem: and here I was doing it the other way around. No wonder it wasn't working right :crazy:
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

5500 Watt element on 220 volts will draw 25 amps. more if your voltage is a bit low and less if it is running closer to 240.

Only rated for 3 hp, so the starting amps would be the biggest draw. For that I found "he electrical code book states that a 3HP 230 volts single phase motor is rated at 17 amps. Three phase 230 volts is not a common voltage any more but the book lists the amperage as 9.6,". That is steady state though

3 HP is 2237 watts so only half of your element. I also found an online calculate for starting amps on a 3 hp motor which gave 23 amps.

I don't think it will handle your element.
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

This is what I call a manual motor starter. Motor starters have three functions, on/off, short circuit protection (sometimes separate), and overload protection. Short circuit protection was usually fuses that may have had fairly high current rating compared to everything else to allow for motor starting current, they just blow when there is a short. The "manual" part is that the contactor wasn't operated by a coil, you physically engage the mechanism with the buttons. The overload protection is operated thermally, they have little heaters that would open contacts when the motor drew too much current for some period of time. The off button will also reset the overloads after they cool off.

Nema size 0 is a weird US rating but it boils down to 18 amps so this contactor can operate up to 4320 W at 240V (at least when it was new). The "relays" I call "overloads", they are actually "overload relays" they are the thermally operated part. They should trip if the current is over their rating (could be less than the contactor rating) for a few seconds.

If you want to use all 5500W you could use the button operated contactor to engage a modern coil operated contactor like this one and keep the nice retro look.

If you wire the meter to measure heater voltage it should be a useful power indicator.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!