Soldering

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

gmm213
Novice

Soldering

Post by gmm213 »

So I decided to throw this here. Couldn't decide if it fit anywhere better. I am wondering about soldering. I am building a keg with 5500w heating element. I was going to solder the copper adapter to the SS keg. I have never done soldering like this before. I have soldered many many electrical components and welded various metals together. Can anyone give me any tips or tricks related to either of these processes in the soldering of my adapter to my keg.
I come from a long line of brewers and distillers both legal and illegal. Have to do the family name proud
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Soldering

Post by still_stirrin »

Take this to the construction forum. You'll have much to study there before asking.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

+1 Still stirrin
The most important tip is: Clean,clean and clean...any grease and the solder won't stick.
A youtube video that might be helpful to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv87yVkyJR0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Another here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIkvP55UbxM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
There are many others, but those two guys do it the right way... and a lot of info if you use HD google search.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Put in an advanced search under soldering, you'll have a fair amount of reading to do, but there is some good info there. My advise is find some scape and practice on some metal that doesn't matter. Try different heat sources. I personally like propane and oxy/propane but I find oxy/acetylene too hot. You'll be using a lead free solder, stay-brite is a silver/tin mix that was designed for the dairy industry to solder SS, you will also need the stay-brite flux. SS to copper is tricky, so practice and get a feel for it first. You say you've done soldering and welding before, you'll do Ok....after all it's not rocket surgery.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Condensifier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Condensifier »

What kind of adapter? A sankey keg is ready for a 2" tri-clamp, maybe it would be easier to solder an adapter to your still and keep your keg unmolested.
gmm213
Novice

Post by gmm213 »

A water heating element screw in flange. I guess not an adapter. I always call it that for some reason. Why did no one yell at me and tell me theres a sticky on soldering up top. Man im getting to old for this. lol
I come from a long line of brewers and distillers both legal and illegal. Have to do the family name proud
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Stainless to stainless might be a more durable option. There's a threaded flange(?) called a "welding spud" that should work well for installing your heating element. I think it was Humbledore who used one for his electric build. Search his topics and you should find what you need.

+1 on the Harris StayBrite #8 solder and the StayClean liquid flux. Ebay has a small kit that includes the solder and flux for about $12.

Good luck with it.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Condensifier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Condensifier »

Here's a good thread by bellybuster. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=36347" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

There's a link to a video in there, too.
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

I have had great luck with solvent cleaning the stainless, really disrupting the surface of the stainless with coarse abrasives, wet with Harris Stay Brite flux, very gentile heat and tin or wet surface with silver bearing lead free solder. I clean up the Stay Brite flux and use regular Johnson's zinc chloride based flux and lead free tin97/copper3 solder to fill between tinned copper and tinned stainless. Cheap, clean and strong. No failures to date.
gmm213
Novice

Post by gmm213 »

Thanks for all the great answers and links. Looks like Ill be doing some reading. Good thing I dont do anything at my job.

BTW Hobby, I love that thread especially the video, seein thats how I learn. Thats has answered all my questions on the subject.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

gmm213 wrote:. Looks like Ill be doing some reading. Good thing I dont do anything at my job.
Hmmmm :think: Government job? Politician perhaps?
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

S-Cackalacky wrote: +1 on the Harris StayBrite #8 solder and the StayClean liquid flux. Ebay has a small kit that includes the solder and flux for about $12.
I don't believe the small kit is #8 solder. Its just the standard Stay-Brite.
I'd love to be able to get #8 in a smaller quantity.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

SaltyStaves wrote:
S-Cackalacky wrote: +1 on the Harris StayBrite #8 solder and the StayClean liquid flux. Ebay has a small kit that includes the solder and flux for about $12.
I don't believe the small kit is #8 solder. Its just the standard Stay-Brite.
I'd love to be able to get #8 in a smaller quantity.
I stand corrected. But, it works.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I hate soldering copper to SS. But when I forced to here's my way.
Pre-tin the copper part first. Buff the SS with a flap wheel. Use flux made for SS. Figure out how to mechanical hold the copper to the SS. Apply heat to the copper until the solder on it flows onto the SS.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

S-Cackalacky wrote: I stand corrected. But, it works.
I certainly hope so. I have some I want to use on a copper frustum and I hope its going to be able to fill up the gaps. Number 8 would be better suited, but the cost is prohibitive.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

shadylane wrote:I hate soldering copper to SS. But when I forced to here's my way.
Pre-tin the copper part first. Buff the SS with a flap wheel. Use flux made for SS. Figure out how to mechanical hold the copper to the SS. Apply heat to the copper until the solder on it flows onto the SS.
Some steel wire gets handy in situations, were the parts are a PITA to hold with clamps. :idea:
Simply wrap the wire around, through or whatever, to get a hold on the parts, flux and solder.