automatic mash pot

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

automatic mash pot

Post by firewater69 »

I got this gear drive motor given to me, otherwise this build would have been different. the motor spins at a blistering 63rpm @ 90lbs of torque, which I think will be just fine. I made the mount and paddle at work I may add another paddle up a little closer to the top but I don't think I'll need it. I step mash most of the time and I'm a little lazy so here it is. it locks into the keg handles to keep it from spinning.
IMG_20151010_121842.jpg
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

automatic mash pot

Post by Kegg_jam »

Nice! I've been kicking around something like that. My good cordless sure gets a workout during a mashing session.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: automatic mash pot

Post by firewater69 »

I will adapt this motor to the roller mill that I built too.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

With a marginally bad left arm from a previous surgery several years ago, I just can't stir those heavy thick AG mashes by hand. Not that I'm lazy, just physically can't do that shit anymore. Went and bought this contraption, and it is the cat's meow for mash stirring. Doesn't even slow down one bit under a full load. Originally designed for mixing concrete, paint and grout, it has all the torque needed to get the job done. It wasn't the cheapest toy, but then, it works and that's what it's all about. Fits real good in my new 22 gallon pot over a single 30,000 BTU Camp Chef propane burner.

http://www.bnproducts.com/tools/bnr6400-power-mixer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://www.bnproducts.com/tools/bnmg-6100-mixing-stand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camp-Chef-Sin ... e/21896044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

[/attachment]
Flute_Still 006.JPG
Attachments
Flute_Still 010.JPG
Flute_Still 007.JPG
Last edited by Euphoria on Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

that's a nice set up, I ain't getting any younger and don't wanna work any harder than I have to, I also pump all of my wash into the still, lifting is a young man's game.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

Thanks firewater,
I've always tried, (not always successfully,) to work smarter, not harder.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

we made 10 gallons of an ipa today, the paddle worked flawlessly. now to test in on a corn mash.
IMG_20151011_163528.jpg
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Hmmm I wonder how a modified mount for an ice cream maker would work? :idea:
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

wtfdskin wrote:Hmmm I wonder how a modified mount for an ice cream maker would work? :idea:
I burned a cheap one up making peach ice cream.(might not be makers fault the ice cream was 50% chopped peaches) I'm gonna be looking for one to use in my steamer.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

I have a spare white mountain one laying around. Another winter project to add to the list
luchete80
Novice

Post by luchete80 »

firewater69 wrote:we made 10 gallons of an ipa today, the paddle worked flawlessly. now to test in on a corn mash.
IMG_20151011_163528.jpg
Great set up firewater69, i like it!!!!

Did you have success @63 rpm with corn mash? Wasn't too slow? I was thinkinh about 150 rpm.

Thanks!!!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

my mash mixer runs at 27rpm. Its about perfect, don't think i'd want it moving any faster. big paddles on it though.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

It works great for corn, after my corn is done and cools down ( usually overnight) I add the rest of my grains and water and do a step mash, then sparge. I generally do between 32-35 lbs of grain total depending on the recipe and have never had any trouble with it.
luchete80
Novice

Post by luchete80 »

HDNB wrote:my mash mixer runs at 27rpm. Its about perfect, don't think i'd want it moving any faster. big paddles on it though.
Thanks HDNB!!! 27 rpm Wow! I will point that. Is really good to have differents points of view.

I've found this on http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 85&t=67776:

"by japsinok » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:22 pm

Got the stand made and the mixer bolted to it. Gelatinized 20# of blue corn in 7 gal (5 gal H2O + 2 gal backset). After it turned to congealed corn pudding, I added 2 gal H2O and mixed to cool it to 160F (that is my typical final ratio, 20# grain:9 gal liquid= 10 gal final volume). The mixer did not struggle a bit, turning those 11" blades in Quikset corn!! 40% speed is about 80 rpm, and 50% was ~125 rpm. 30% (just under 60 rpm) did not seem to move it enough to keep the bottom clear before it gelatinized. I ran it CCW with the blades forcing the mash down, out to the edge, and then back up the sides, though not sure which is best for this application where it is heating from the bottom."

I think it will be good to maintain it as low as possible like you say (and keeping the mash not too thick) in order to not throw away the liquid from the pot :D .

Thanks again!!!
luchete80
Novice

Post by luchete80 »

firewater69 wrote:It works great for corn, after my corn is done and cools down ( usually overnight) I add the rest of my grains and water and do a step mash, then sparge. I generally do between 32-35 lbs of grain total depending on the recipe and have never had any trouble with it.
Great i will go for that speed.

Thanks firewater69!!