3” column build

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jmcq2xl
Novice

3” column build

Post by Jmcq2xl »

So to start my 3” flute column I have 8 feet of 3” copper. Now befor the cutting and chopping starts is there a reason why builders don’t put the same size windows on their columns? Like a 3 in column with 3 in windows.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Re: 3” column build

Post by The Baker »

Jmcq2xl wrote:So to start my 3” flute column I have 8 feet of 3” copper. Now befor the cutting and chopping starts is there a reason why builders don’t put the same size windows on their columns? Like a 3 in column with 3 in windows.
Same reason you leave a small part of the wall when you install a window; there has to be something there to carry the new structure (window).

Geoff
The Baker
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

There's no reason that I can see why you can't do it .....Lot of fellas have made sections out of 3" or 4" tees and stuck Sight glasses in them ...but these are preformed .
Sure ..it's going to be a real challenge cutting and fitting the two profiles together but absolutely possible :thumbup: ...me , I'm always up for a challenge but I would pass . :ewink:

Personally I think 2" sight glasses would be perfectly adequate ...but if you have plenty of 3" and the ability ...then go for it .
Mr Sippy
Bootlegger

Post by Mr Sippy »

20180115_132235.jpg
That is what I am doing on my 3 in column. I liked the look better than 2 in. Used the online template calculator for the fishmouth and cut with a jigsaw. Drill press and hole saw for the column. Centering the bit on the column is critical. For a nice fit, wrap some emery cloth on the column and 'lap' the window section of pipe.
Be Kind, Tell the Truth, Sip Good Whiskey