Flux that works

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

HDNB
Site Mod

Flux that works

Post by HDNB »

I think Harris stay brite flux is a popular one in USA. I had a hard time finding it, so here is an alternative i found in Canada. Works on every metal combination i've tried.

Griffon S-39
Attachments
1047014_1.jpg
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
RedwoodHillBilly

Re: Flux that works

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

HDNB wrote:I think Harris stay brite flux is a popular one in USA. I had a hard time finding it, so here is an alternative i found in Canada. Works on every metal combination i've tried.

Griffon S-39
It may work. There are a few differences. The Griffon flux is a paste flux, which will require more cleaning. The Harris stay clean flux is an acid flux (primarily zinc & ammonium chloride & hydrochloric acid). The Harris flux is very easy to clean (a water rinse and an acid neutralization), the paste flux will require the full cleaning regimen. I've had very good results with stay-clean flux. Very easy to use, and cleaning is a piece of cake.

Harris flux is available in Canada, like here https://www.amazon.ca/Harris-SCLF16-Sta ... clean+flux" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I've pound that normal plumbers flux works as well, just takes a hell of a lot of more cleaning and prepping, but if you are willing it works.

Alas, I'm lazy and just sprung for a big bottle of harris from the US, including shipping and import cost it was like 50€ but I love the stuff and doubt I'd have managed to build a bubbler without it.
Don't be a dick
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Bakers No 3 fluid is what you want here in uk.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Yeah Bakers Flux is the go here in Aussie too Pikey :thumbup: Your bottle looks totally different but the SDS sheets have almost the same ingredients in it .
Bakers Flux.jpg
I still have a bottle of this Which I bought in New Zealand when I was a teenager and I'm still using it here in Aussie today .
I believe you can still get this in NZ .
Duzall flux.jpg
Duz more.jpg
Both work really well with copper and Stainless and wash off with a quick squirt with the hose :thumbup:

Solder Pastes suck ....a bitch to solder with , turn to black charcoaled gorrilla snot if you're a beginner and heavy handed with the flame and are a pain in the arse to clean off.

Zinc Chloride based fluxes are the go . Incidentally my Grandfather was a plumber in NZ , never bought Flux . He used to place bits of galvanized iron in Hydrochloric ( Muratic) acid until the zinc had dissolved .....Hmmm Zinc Chloride...them O'l boys new a thing or too :wave:
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

RedwoodHillBilly wrote:
It may work. There are a few differences. The Griffon flux is a paste flux, which will require more cleaning.

yeah, no....it does work. really well. and it is a liquid flux. just a wee drop spread over the joint area and perfect joint, barely any residue.

i have done these joints:
SS>SS
Cu>SS
Cu>Cu
Brass>SS
Gold plating>gold plating on wife's Oakley's (a pleasant surprise. mebbe keep her out of the sunglass hut for a few weeks :lolno: )

even fixed a pinhole in a dirty SS tig weld with slag shit all over it.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.