UK blow torch suggestions for 3" column build

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

needmorstuff
Swill Maker

UK blow torch suggestions for 3" column build

Post by needmorstuff »

Hi all,

I am looking at building a 3" column and being extremely frugal (tight) I am shying away from the rothenberger superfire 2. I plan on soft soldering.

Are there any cheaper torches that would work fine for casual use, or is this considered an absolute basic torch for the job.

thanks.
License number NRU/D/15/22
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: UK blow torch suggestions for 3" column build

Post by der wo »

So first you wanted to buy a 3", then a 2" and now you want to build a 3"???
Yes. This is a typical curriculum vitae here. :ewink:

IMO you don't need something expensive like the Superfire 2. And you don't need Mapp-gas for soft soldering. The first decision should be, if you want something with a hose to a propan bottle. If you already have a bottle, perhaps for barbecue, I would consider a cheap box with different torches, like:
https://www.amazon.de/CFH-L%C3%B6tkoffe ... B004Q1CU9I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I am sure you will find it in the UK too. There is also something similar from Rothenberger.
I use mostly the two smaller ones of the turbo torches (with the holes). And for soldering stainless to copper the two solder irons are very useful, because the flux for stainless doesn't like direct flame. And you can remove the irons, then you have a mini-torch, useful for small pipes, like for condenser water supply or LM reflux lines. And for charring wood I use the mini-torch with a blue flame. A blue flame from a large torch is too hot for oak sticks IMO and a yellow flame stinks.
Torches on a small camping bottle have the problem that you have to hold them more or less horizontal all the time. At least the cheap ones. If you decide for this system, buy a better one, which you can use also upright. There are situations when you are happy to use it in any position. One of the soldering basics is to position the pipes wise, for example that if solder flows out of the joint, because you used too much, That it's outside the pipe, not inside. It's not you, who should decide how to hold the torch, it's the situation.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
needmorstuff
Swill Maker

Post by needmorstuff »

I know!

I am not happy with the extra complication in the commercial one I linked.. I want to keep it simple. Plus my boy wants to braze something (he is always after making things..) so I may as well build now that I will invest in a torch.

2" or 3" build - well might as well go big if going to the trouble of building in the first place I figure.

Thanks for the recommendation, I should have maybe told that I need to braze also..

What I will take away is that I could go for a lesser model/manufacturer. I don't have any bottles btw.
durty_dunderpants
Novice

Post by durty_dunderpants »

agree with all der wo said. propane is perfect for softsoldering copper and SS. just checked my handheld actually and it's the superfire2 so i'm not sure if i can convince you you want something else! :lol: deliberated for a while looking at all others before getting it but don't regret it at all. i've got some wideflame heads for the calor cylinder that are great for preheating big pipe (2"'+) but the superfire2 has a reasonably tight flame for most soldering. built my shotgun condensor okay with it. if you wanted to get super intricate though it might pay to get a set of heads with more range of adjustment. convenience of cordless and orientation was a big reason i got that one rather than more heads for the calor cylinder though. afraid i don't know about other handheld heads buts i've seen a lot of poor reviews online for them and was maybe a bit swayed by that!

ADDED: just seen your reply. i ain't got a clue about brazing.. i'm out :P
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

needmorstuff wrote:2" or 3" build - well might as well go big if going to the trouble of building in the first place I figure.
It all depend on the size of boiler you will use, and the amount of heat input to the boiler, and how much likker you intend to make.. 3" are fine on 15 gal boilers, but not so on 5 -7 gal, reason, much more touchy to manage especially if you are going to use it also for refluxing with, in pot mode, it will be ok, managing the boiler will still be an issue, will be touchy to dial in and keeping it dial..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
needmorstuff
Swill Maker

Post by needmorstuff »

looking at 50l with a 40l charge.. er 8.8 gallon charge? 4kw. Yes reflux and pot.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

This did 2" for me... with no probs... might do 3", not sure: https://www.kitchenlabuk.com/product/pr ... VkQAvD_BwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
needmorstuff
Swill Maker

Post by needmorstuff »

well that certainly puts things into perspective!
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

i got the cheapest one in the pro range from b&Q, it's map compatible so can give you more heat if you need it.
think it was 30€ or there abouts
Don't be a dick
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

If you are using a soft solder like harris stay-brite 8 (6%Ag 94% Sn) it doesn't need much heat. I've soldered it with an electric heat gun. My go to is a small propane torch that I connect to a 4.7lb (20 US gal) bottle. It really doesn't need (or want) that much heat to solder it. Too much heat will get you in trouble.

The only reason that I connect it to a 4.7lb bottle with a hose is that the flame doesn't change when I vary the angle of the torch. It does if I have it on a 1lb bottle connected on the bottom of the torch. Maybe you can be better with it than me and compensate for the power difference vs. torch angle.
needmorstuff
Swill Maker

Post by needmorstuff »

Thanks everyone - you are all very generous with your time.

I will go for the cheapest propane torch I can find... interestingly I was in B&Q last night and looked at the range. They had them for about £30.. The superfire 2 on ebay with a couple of bottles of gas bottles is around £70 so not much more than a cheap one really.

I have a note to use Bakers no 3 flux.
The solder mentioned above doesn't seem to be a UK brand.. I am guessing any plumbers solder will be fine so will go for whatever I find in the plumbers merchant.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

needmorstuff wrote:T
I have a note to use Bakers no 3 flux.
The solder mentioned above doesn't seem to be a UK brand.. I am guessing any plumbers solder will be fine so will go for whatever I find in the plumbers merchant.
I'm not familiar with that flux, the flux that is used with stay-brite solder has zinc chloride, ammonium chloride, and hydrochloric acid in it, it is a very low viscosity (think water). The solder that is recommended (stay-brite 8 ) is 6% silver, and 94% tin. I would check that the plumbers solder has at least 4% silver, this will give you a stronger joint. Also be sure that there is no lead in it. You want a solder that is just silver and tin , preferably at least 4%, 6-8% is better for strength.

Good luck, it isn't that hard to solder, just remember that the work should melt the solder, not the flame.
needmorstuff
Swill Maker

Post by needmorstuff »

thanks.

I haven't soldered in YEARS.. like 20 when I trained to be a telecomms engineer.. and then it was components not pipe. I am in IT now
needmorstuff
Swill Maker

Post by needmorstuff »

I am almost decided on this one.. rothenberger rofire professional - £16.86 at various places in the UK. What I like is it uses both mapp and propane, auto ignition and that the rrp is around the £57 mark.. I love to think I am getting a bargain.

Solder - after reading a few thread here on HD it is deemed that normal plumbers lead free solder is acceptable. 4% silver may be stronger but it is not in my price range and plenty of build threads done use it. Please by all means let me have your plumber solder nightmares!
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I've done my builds with bogstandard lead free solder, works a treat
Don't be a dick
needmorstuff
Swill Maker

Post by needmorstuff »

good enough for you.. good enough for me
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

just out of interest - here's an odd piece of kit, which I have recently acquired.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Futuris-Carb ... Sw9KhaH6VM

In principal it wil do most of what Oxy-acetylene will do - but wat cheaper and more like usinga hand-grenade to do the job of a Laser !

Brazing is reckonned to be it's forte - has anyone tried it ?
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Pikey wrote:just out of interest - here's an odd piece of kit, which I have recently acquired.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Futuris-Carb ... Sw9KhaH6VM

In principal it wil do most of what Oxy-acetylene will do - but wat cheaper and more like usinga hand-grenade to do the job of a Laser !

Brazing is reckonned to be it's forte - has anyone tried it ?
Yeah I make my morning toast with one of those...

Ah just kidding... I'm low carbing at the mo...
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!