New Column still build

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tony1964
Swill Maker

New Column still build

Post by Tony1964 »

Hi there,

I'm building my first Column Still from 3 years driving a pot still, I'm constructing from a 35 Litre stainless steel boiler, it is pretty much all stainless steel and glass and will have a gin basket that I have nearly finished, it is predominantly tri-clamp fittings, the question is, these things weigh a huge amount, the forces on the boiler to column are going to be very high, how are you guys supporting the weight of the column, I'm not talking about the vertical weight, that's not per say an issue, but, this has a shotgun condenser. I'm about a third of the way through and have tested, the joint holds no problem, but, I'm thinking of a stand to help support the lateral forces from what is a 90 degree bend, I have to take in to account the weight of the water in the shotgun, which itself is some 19" long.

I've seem images if people supporting the weight from a pulley system attached to the roof, images of other alternatives would be appreciated.

Cheers

Tony
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Re: New Column still build

Post by bluefish_dist »

Mine is supported from the wall. I have a bracket with a pipe hanger attached to the wall, then the still is close enough that it is held in place. Helps keep it from tipping over when I ran a keg still. Also keeps the column straight.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Here is a picture of mine. I have a 4" column but the keg holds it with no problem. Not sure without pictures what type of top you have on your boiler.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (27.61 KiB) Viewed 5301 times
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

See picture of the solder joint
Attachments
IMG_3222.JPG
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

Alternative view, forgive the view, the wife was sorting the bed out and took an opportunity
IMG_3221.JPG
to take a photo
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

Better view so far, ignore the sequence of tri clamp spools they are not in the order they will be for the final finish
IMG_3258.jpg
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

IMG_3261.jpg
IMG_3261.jpg
IMG_3261.jpg
Attachments
IMG_3263.jpg
IMG_3262.jpg
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

This is getting heavy, there is not an issue with it falling over as you add 25Kg of fluid in the still, its the shear weight that goes sideways from the column, I'm seeing why a Boka would not have this issue, there must be nearly 2Kg of water that would be in shotgun as well.
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

For sizing
Attachments
IMG_3266.jpg
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

First view of the reflux coil in its housing
Attachments
Reflux coil fitted to its 360 degree tube
Reflux coil fitted to its 360 degree tube
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

Coolent feeds changed with some spare SSCT
Attachments
Changed the coolent feeds
Changed the coolent feeds
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

Gin basket attachment 99% finished, just got to add a temperature probe to the top.

I'll take some internal pictures of the actual basket tonight, its a stainless steel motorbike baffle that hangs in the vapour flow, the vapour is directed to the bottom of the gin column attachment, you can see the SSCT tubes, you can make out 1 of them, the bottoms have mesh soldered to them to allow for fine bubbles, a lesson learnt from the pot still basket.

the gin attachment is offset to the main column, the 90 degree top attaches to another 90 degree to go to the shotgun condenser.

Cheers

Tony
Attachments
IMG_3275.jpg
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

Pictures of the build so far, 3/4 done, have the electrics and the water lines to finish. Needle valves fitted.
Attachments
IMG_3288.jpg
In standard neutral configuration
In standard neutral configuration
IMG_3286.jpg
Off set Gin head
Off set Gin head
Gin basket is in the "T" section
Gin basket is in the "T" section
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Nice, Tony.

Could you tell me the exact description of the flexible tubing you are using?
I had been thinking of using braided stainless tube to connect to my thumper, hadn't thought of the type you are using. Does it have a lining?
It seems the braided is available with a special rubber lining (unsuitable for alcohol) OR in Teflon lining (suitable for alcohol).

That would be really helpful!

Geoff
The Baker
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

Hi Geoff, its not lined, its corrugated stainless steel, https://www.amazon.co.uk/DN8-Up-DN25-St ... steel+pipe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Also https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow all various sizes, DAD300 gave me the idea for the reflux coil from it, its really easy to coil up, I've also used it for the vapour part of the gin section.

Cheers

Tony
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Wowwza :crazy:
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Tony1964 wrote:Hi Geoff, its not lined, its corrugated stainless steel, https://www.amazon.co.uk/DN8-Up-DN25-St ... steel+pipe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Also https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow all various sizes, DAD300 gave me the idea for the reflux coil from it, its really easy to coil up, I've also used it for the vapour part of the gin section.

Cheers

Tony
Thanks, Tony, now I have something more specific to follow up.

Geoff
The Baker
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

Coolant lines in place separated for the shotgun condenser and the reflux coil.

You can see thermowells on the output to each condenser to monitor the coolant temps as the water exits each, I have 3 more thermowells to fit in each sight glass to monitor the temps at each stage, 10 temperature monitoring sensors in total, I'm hoping this will better allow me to understand the rig.

I have the stainless steel scrubbers to go in each section and copper scrubbers to go in each sight glass, I will add a scrubber as per DAD300 advise in the reflux section.

I will be starting the electrics over the next few days, awaiting receipt of the controllers, I have 2 elements already fitted in the boiler, and 2 SCR variable controllers to control each heater.

Hopefully, in about a month I will be ready to do the first run, I've been collecting the fore-shots over the last 6 months to do a cleaning run as the first test.

Stability of the rig is very good with the tripod taking some of the lateral load, the tripod is one used for large speakers and rated to 50Kg, has safety pins that are a secondary safety feature, that I have pre-drilled the holes to match up with the exact height of the arm length for gin configuration and neutral configuration.

Regards

Tony
Attachments
IMG_3291.jpg
Coolant lines finished
Coolant lines finished
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

Started controller, cut out the power inlets and outlets and individual fuses for each controller.
Attachments
IMG_3304.jpg
IMG_3303.jpg
IMG_3301.jpg
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

I've been away a few days and what do I see ? Stainless p0rn :)
Nice to see you're still build is going well !
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

Update
Lots done over the last few days, all 10 temperature thermowells soldered in place, if I never drill another 8mm hole again it will be to soon.

Water tested and pressure tested the column as I inserted the scrubbers, stainless steel in the stainless sections and copper scrubbers in the sight glass sections.

I am awaiting another "Tee" section to change to a "Carter head" for the gin section to allow botanical change mid run if i'm running gin, this whole section is removed if its a neutral run.

I can concentrate on the controller for the next week.

Cheers

Tony
Attachments
Close up of the gin section, I need to modify the top of the section to be able to replace the botanicals mid run
Close up of the gin section, I need to modify the top of the section to be able to replace the botanicals mid run
close up of one of the sight glasses, copper mesh and replaced to boring top bolts for dome bolt heads
close up of one of the sight glasses, copper mesh and replaced to boring top bolts for dome bolt heads
Product output reducer soldered in place
Product output reducer soldered in place
Cooling lines finished
Cooling lines finished
Virtually finished with copper and stainless steel scrubbers inserted
Virtually finished with copper and stainless steel scrubbers inserted
Scrubber added to reflux coil
Scrubber added to reflux coil
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

Weekend work on the controller, wiring progressing well and the variable power controllers fitted, I've modified them to extend the variable control resistor to the front panel.

A note on these controllers from Ebay/China, I took the time to actually put thermal pasted between the Thyristor and the heat sink, there was just the smallest amount on them, I also drilled a hole through the heat sink and fitted a thermal probe to monitor the thermal temperature of the heat sink on each one. These power controllers come fitted with a fan as standard, so, they are mounted to the sides where I have fitted grills.

The image you see of the "Crystal Skull" is the rear of the controller where I have fitted the 10 thermal probe inputs, they go in the shape of a letter "Y" this sort of represents the location on the still boiler and column.

Finally, instead of drilling holes in the product output, I bent a piece of stainless tube to aid pressure variation in the final output, this will aid flow.

I still await the controllers and meters to arrive to start the front panel.

Cheers

Tony
Attachments
IMG_3332.jpg
IMG_3331.jpg
IMG_3330.jpg
IMG_3329.jpg
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

Last nights efforts, the bracket will swing through 90 degrees and the parrot now unscrews from its base, still waiting for the meters for the control panel.
Attachments
Was going to make a new parrot from Stainless, but, shes been with me to long
Was going to make a new parrot from Stainless, but, shes been with me to long
4 hours to make an adjustable bracket from Aluminium is time well spent
4 hours to make an adjustable bracket from Aluminium is time well spent
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

Spent a few hours last night drawing out on the front panel the control layout for the controller, we have a long bank holiday coming up, so, we are away, will start cutting out the panel Tuesday/Wednesday next week.

Looking at it this morning, will have to move the Power meters slightly, the themal meters go in the pattern that they are connected to the still column to give a visual representation of what is happening thermally.

3 of the meters will have thermal alarms.

Cheers

Tony
Attachments
Front panel layout
Front panel layout
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Gonna be a bad boy rite there :thumbup:
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

We had a bank holiday the last few working days, so been away, had a couple of hours starting to cut the panel to receive the meters and controllers, not cut out the sections for the meters that have still not arrived, but, progressing.

Cheers

Tony
Attachments
Panel cutting started
Panel cutting started
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

Some further parts arrived, last nights work was to fit the stand off section to hold the control box, cutting the top of the tripod off about 10CM and fitting two 90 degree 1.5" tri clamp fittings, attaching tri clamp ferrules to the tripod and then adding back the 10CM cut off under the control box, this both takes the control system away from the shotgun condenser and allows a 360 degree rotation for the control system.

The front panel still looks a little messy, there is still the masking tape covering the front with the layout drawn on and to obviously protect the front panel during cutting of the holes.

Still awaiting 5 controllers to arrive, nearly there.

I have been posting a lot of stuff on this first column still builds, hope your enjoying the progress, its certainly interesting for me.

Cheers

Tony
Attachments
Overall look with the controller in place
Overall look with the controller in place
IMG_3341.jpg
Close up of the tri clamp attachment.
Close up of the tri clamp attachment.
thepatchworkdoll
Swill Maker

Post by thepatchworkdoll »

Hi Tony
What anastonishing bit of kit you have there. Well done. Get it running soon and let us all know how she goes.
Regards
Patch
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

Cheers Patch, only about 7 parts left to arrive, 5 of which are the controllers, had a few delivered today to finish the modification to the gin infuser and also a capillary tube as the heights to the parrot change dependant on standard config or gin config.

Hopefully about 2 weeks away from the cleaning run at least, I did do a separate post on CIP.

But thanks for the comments.

Cheers

Tony
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

Parts arrived to finish the design change to the gin section, you will notice that the parrot is some 250mm higher in gin mode, I was working on a PC output extension for the occasions the gin section is in place.

I'l finally get to post some pictures of the gin basket shortly, it is finished but, not in place whilst awaiting the two parts.

I await in vein for the controllers to turn up to finish the controller box.

Cheers

Tony
Attachments
IMG_3356.jpg
Parts arrived for the modification to the gin basket section, with the blank tri clamp top, it should be possible to put the column in full reflux and change the gin basket
Parts arrived for the modification to the gin basket section, with the blank tri clamp top, it should be possible to put the column in full reflux and change the gin basket