4" stripping column

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

4" stripping column

Post by Klein »

my plans for my new build, the parts used are ones i already have.
stripping column plan.pdf
(200.03 KiB) Downloaded 368 times

right now I am planning on putting the feed half way up the column.
the reflux coil would be cooled with water, and i plan on feeding the wash with a peristaltic pump.
the goal is to have an output around 80%abv that will be watered down and ran as a batch to make the cuts.
(will be used for neutrals)

the plan for running it is: to start with water in the boiler, and then slowly start feeding the wash into the column. the temp probe in the vapor path will indicate if there is alcohol that is not being stripped and ending up in the boiler, when this happens the wash feed would need to be reduced or the power increased.

this project should cut down on run times and be a fun project.
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 4" stripping column

Post by Klein »

I am ordering some stuff for the build, the thermocouple will be used with a data logger that can record 4 probes, this way i could have temp readings in different places and have the data recorded for review.

I am still trying to find a good setup for a flow meter, if anyone has subjection id be happy to have suggestions.
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

the best thing i could find so far is https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00YPA ... _i=desktop

:eh:
41QWREuALJL.jpg

but at that price id rather have something with a data logger :think: .... or something cheaper
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I've seen a similar version, this fella don't use a boiler though and uses the condensers as preheaters.
It's been in use for a few years and works good for the owner.
I can't remember the flow rate for sure but something tells me he stripped 25l an hour.
Attachments
stillplan.jpg
Don't be a dick
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

+1 Swedish , thats more the design I think I would go for . It is also more along the lines of what commercial strippers use .
klein , your design looks like the continous stripper on the old parent site . Sure it claims to put out 80% verses 50% with the design swedish shows , but after all its a stripper , and the strip needs to be further purified . In the case of a flavoured spirit a pot stilling is usually done by the commercial guys and for a desent vodka or nutral it will need to be run through a reflux still after diluting down anyway .
In my mind it seems counter productive to have reflux on the stripping run . :roll:

Other than that go for it .... in my opinion there are bugger all tried and tested continuous strippers that have been built and used successfully by home distillers . It has always been on my " to do list " . :thumbup:

Looking forward to how this runs
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

Yes this does look like the one from the parent site, my understanding was that having the preheated wash fed into the top resulted in lower ABV then expected. :think: if this is not the case, I can also try that setup.

I already cut the holes in the boiler for 3 1-1/2 ferrules and dropped it off at the welding shop. The boiler will provide a stable base and only needed the added ferrules to work.

*One of the ferrules was not actually needed but was added for a spray ball.

I did not mind adding some reflux as I only make neutral at the moment, but if the other version works then the rectification section would not be necessary for stripping.
This would probably make it much easier to use with out the rectification section. :thumbup:
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Go for it Klein
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

So I realized that the 4 channel thermocouple data logger I ordered was not able to connect or export the data to the computer. :thumbdown: but was able to cancel the order.

I found a True RMS meter that will link to the computer and data log
91ck+3sb-iL._SL1500_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SG ... CGMX&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

the meter to record temperature that looks the most realistic right now is
81xBWr3lhDL._SL1500_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0776SD6JC/re ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

This one will only be able to log two of the three spots I was planning :think:

new plan without the reflux coil as suggested
stripping column.2.pdf
(197.55 KiB) Downloaded 212 times

Now just looking to see if I can find a way to log the feed flow rate.
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

I have received my order this week with parts that I needed.

The data loggers did not want to work with my laptop, but was able to get them working by the end of the night. :thumbup:

I have made the 2" section with ferrules that will feed the wash. Just need to add the 1/2" npt so I can add the camlock. The side of the 1/2" tee has a threaded bushing for the thermocouple.
part - feed2.jpg
the 1/2" pipe goes through the 3/4"x 1/2"x 1/2" tee and has an elbow in the center of the 2" that is facing down.

I also have a liebig (3/4" over 1/2") that is 63" long, I was going to use it for another project.

I am halfway done building the peristaltic pump, I picked up the last of the parts i needed for the pump.... The pump project is costing more then I thought it was going to :shh:

The pump will be connected to a 1/3hp motor, and will be geared down 36:1. My hope is that due to the fact that the pump is going to be over kill, when the level drops in the container it wont have much affect on the flow rate. :thumbup:
Evil Wizard
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil Wizard »

Hey man, I'm on my fourth continuous stripping column build.
Regarding the reflux condensor, i found a 3" cold finger was all I needed to bump my abv up 10%abv. Half inch finger with a lil 1/4" valve. The finger was in the ascending vapor path on a 45 degree angle between the column top and the downturn to the condensor.

Using any cooling reflux can get you into trouble in terms of wasting booze though. The more down pressure or cold pushing down the column, the more likely you are to lose booze in the waste water.
Work is the curse of the drinking class. "Would you like some water?" "No thanks, I'm Irish."

Louchebag Absintheur, Apostolic Alcoholic, Whisky Icarus, Bathtub Alchemist.

Started 2005, went Pro 2017. Federal Excise 51-SL-262.
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

Just waiting for the last part to show up that I ordered (thermocouple for my boiler)

My pump is almost build, thought I’d have it done by now but have not had much time lately. Also need to pick up another part :roll:

If this build works well then I might look at a PID to control a constant feed temp. This way if the system starts to become unstable the PID will help keep the feed temperature stable. An element inside a pipe that the wash is pumped through, after it has been preheated by the condenser. This would reduce the feed temperature changing due to any changes in the system.
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

I have not forgotten about this project! Work and life has taken up almost all of my time, but I will be working on this again now.

I have been able to do a couple of things the last two months.
I have the boiler overflow setup with triclamp, 1/2" full bore ball valve, all stainless steel fittings.
I also made the CIP spray "ball", it is made from a stainless steel thermowell that has holes drilled in it, and is attached with a 1.5" triclamp and has a 1/2" stainless ball valve and a camlock

I will try to post photos of it in a few days.