Pot still newbie questions

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Beaglebow
Novice

Pot still newbie questions

Post by Beaglebow »

Hey guys.
So I've been reading on here for the last couple of weeks and have found a TON of useful info. I've also found way too many recipies to try!
That being said, I'm going to build a simple pot still, since all I really care about making at this point is whiskeys and rums. I really have no desire for neutral spirits.
I am going to stick with a small 6 gallon pot with a flat or bowl lid (to be determined). First question, is there any benefit to having a bowl versus a flat lid?
I have a few chunks of 1.5" copper pipe to use for a short stack. One piece has a bend in it, about 45° but more of a sweep instead of a direct bend. It's about 24" long. The other pieces are 11" and 4". I've seen a lot of builds where guys have just used a 1/2" soft copper attached to the lid (or bowl) with a compression fitting and run a worm through a bucket to condense. Is there, or would there, be any benefit to using a short stack of 1.5" copper to a 1/2" soft copper worm, instead of a single 1/2" copper? I can try to attach a picture if I can figure it out.
Im just trying to think ahead before I start building. I've read a lot of different things about pot still builds and there just seems to be too many conflicting opinions.
If it helps, my first wash will probably be a sweet feed rumsky, although I'm planning on a straight rum and maybe a single malt rye or George Washington rye.

Thanks in advance guys (and gals).
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Pot still newbie questions

Post by still_stirrin »

Beaglebow wrote:I am going to stick with a small 6 gallon pot with a flat or bowl lid (to be determined). First question, is there any benefit to having a bowl versus a flat lid?
A flat lid (the one that came with the stock pot) will work just fine, just as long as you have a good seal around the lid. However, the bowl adaption compensates a little before a boil over becomes a puke into your still head. With a flat lid, you need to be mindful of the wash and how full your boiler is. You'll want to keep adequate head space to minimize the chances of a puke.

Beaglebow wrote:I have a few chunks of 1.5" copper pipe to use for a short stack. One piece has a bend in it, about 45° but more of a sweep instead of a direct bend. It's about 24" long. The other pieces are 11" and 4". I've seen a lot of builds where guys have just used a 1/2" soft copper attached to the lid (or bowl) with a compression fitting and run a worm through a bucket to condense. Is there, or would there, be any benefit to using a short stack of 1.5" copper to a 1/2" soft copper worm, instead of a single 1/2" copper? I can try to attach a picture if I can figure it out.
Well, again, the riser just reduces the opportunity for a boilover/puke to plug your worm. But, for a potstill you really don't need a riser. For those who run potstills with Liebig condenser, the riser helps to adjust the outlet opening to a position that is more accessible to reach (and change jars).
Beaglebow wrote:If it helps, my first wash will probably be a sweet feed rumsky, although I'm planning on a straight rum and maybe a single malt rye or George Washington rye.
Well, if you haven't brewed an all grain beer before (with consistant results) and/or completed a successful distillation run before, I would suggest starting with something easier to brew. And I point you to the Tried & True recipe forum where the recipes are all proven with predictible results. Also, because of the many, many distillers here who've gone down the path before you, when you have questions regarding your process or anomolies, the members will be familiar with what you've done (right or wrong). So, go pick a sugar wash and start with that....you'll need a sacrifical alcohol run anyway before you produce "keeper" products.

Be safe, responsible, and discrete.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Beaglebow
Novice

Re: Pot still newbie questions

Post by Beaglebow »

Thanks for the reply Still. I kinda figured the puke thing was the reason, but wanted a second opinion. I have fermented plenty before, and was thinking of using KS sweet feed recipie to start, so I have a tried and true starting point. I've read through the majority of the 120 pages or so of that post and have a good idea of what to look out for and more importantly, what not to do.
So another thought, as far as the riser for a pot still, do you think I'd get any reflux action by running a short stack with some packing? I'm thinking more just to help with the cuts and bring up the proof slightly. I know it won't be near what a proper reflux still will do, but would it be worth it to try? I'm not at a point to build a thumper yet, but probably will eventually. Would a short stack be worth the trouble, or just don't bother?