Little white lies, and material aquisition

Post your builds here

Moderator: Site Moderator

Little white lies, and material aquisition

Postby Fruit Squeezer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:01 pm

I don't know if this belongs here or the liar's bench.
Not everyone can legally buy stills, or parts, or materials openly.
So, for alot of us, a little white dog comes at the expense of a few white lies. Here are a few that I used to build my first Boka column: (feel free to add yours, please)

1. I'm looking for copper sheet, cause my wife wants to make a sign for our garden that will age quickly outside.

2. When asking around about tubing or fittings, "it's for a pool heater" usually ends the interrogation and suggestions at the home improvement store, cause even a licensed plumber doesn't know what the hell a pool heater looks like.

3. I also used "for a home made pool heater" when asking around about decomissioned kegs. (Which are harder to find than an honest politician).

4. It has to be a stainless valve, because the one I broke was stainless, and if the boss finds out i'm in deep shit.

5. I homebrew beer, and I saw how to make one on youtube for heating/transfering the brew. (Their eys glaze over when you start talking about wort, sparging grains, chilling to conversion temp, etc)

6."I can't use brass because it's for brewing beer. No lead"

7.(i'm going to hell for this one) "It's for my moms church group, they're planning a bake sale". <---buying yeast / cornmeal
"Making batter for a fish/chicken fry"<--- corn flakes
[to be used in the near future]
Fruit Squeezer
Novice

Re: Little white lies, and material aquisition

Postby pfshine » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:13 am

So what's this for anyway? Stuff.. and things. Now give it to me or go away.
But if I'm feeling nice it's usually just beer brewing stuff or art stuff, but if I'm feeling a bit impish it's,
I'm making some gaudy fountain for some rich a--holes dumb wife and they keep changing the damn plans! That usually shuts them up, even got a discount once for that one.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Twisted Brick » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:32 pm

I showed the feed store staff pictures of my brick oven so they would know all my grain purchases would be made into artisan bread. One of the guys looked up and said "most guys like you (don't own horses or chickens) use all their grain to make likker. And.... they're always calling up asking if we carry rye."
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields
Twisted Brick
Swill Maker

Postby Truckinbutch » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:30 pm

It would make a good thread on 'The Bench' , but this is your deal . Good start . Come on over if you care to sit a spell .
Where I live , the off the wall stories don't fly .
Canny , overworked and underpaid folks at the counter of the plumbing supply just give you 'the LOOK" and say ,"We don't have time for the bullshit ! What size still you building ? We can size everything for you and save you some money on your build ."
Guy at the feed store asks what you are feeding and you say ,"Yeast."
You just made two valuable friends that will want to come and visit on a casual basis .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Truckinbutch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Twisted Brick » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:01 pm

Truckinbutch wrote:Canny , overworked and underpaid folks at the counter of the plumbing supply just give you 'the LOOK" and say ,"We don't have time for the bullshit! What size still you building? We can size everything for you and save you some money on your build ."
Guy at the feed store asks what you are feeding and you say ,"Yeast."
You just made two valuable friends that will want to come and visit on a casual basis .

Words spoken by a tried and true veteran. After a few casual sippin' visits, the plumbing sales guy should leave with the quintessential knowledge of how to upsale the next stillbuilder...
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields
Twisted Brick
Swill Maker

Postby Appalachian spirits » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:19 am

A humerous post and i enjoyed it lol. I once told a cashier at sams club i was buying 200 pounds of suger because the ladies at the church were making apple butter to raise funds. See you in hell i suppose
Appalachian spirits
Novice

Postby just sayin » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:59 am

Last time I bought 50 pounds of sugar at Costco I actually was making applebutter...
just sayin
Rumrunner

Postby Expat » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:03 pm

I don't bother to explain why I want things, and I don't offer details when asked.

Can't see why it would be anyways business why I want something as inoffensive as most of the supplies we need.

Current boiler and pot head
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=71855
Site Donor

Return to The Construction Site