Output Needle Valve,,,, Production?

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Worm Food
Novice

Output Needle Valve,,,, Production?

Post by Worm Food »

Hello all,
I've seen the thread regarding various Output Needle Valves. I've seen some of those suggested to be purchased, which are well in the $100 area.

I've also seen the "bicycle spoke homemade copper "T" valve".

All of which is interesting, and viable in one way or another. But here's my question. For someone whom has some stock saved up in 303 Stainless, has access to a Lathe and a Mill, AND has nothing but time on his hands..... what would you want in a valve, and how would you want it?

I'm thinking that designed correctly, a long needle with a 'good sized' column and at best a PTFE packing on the stem would have the innerds 'golden'. Next question is, connections?

But the big question that I have for YOU ALL, whom know what you're doing and I'm sure have figured "If I were King of the Universe, I'd do it THIS way".... well, what way is that? I'm interested, and willing to pursue this further. The one thing I DON'T have, is 100 bucks laying around to "just go buy one..." Especially one that still isn't as perfect as it can be.

The issues I see are practically no pressure, essentially low temperature, and very low volume. Stainless Steel components with possible copper interface and what else do you want?

Or am I barking mad?
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Re: Output Needle Valve,,,, Production?

Post by rubelstrudel »

In a valve?

The valve would not need to be rated for any significant pressure. And the key operating factors are "cleanliness", "ease of use" and "repeatability" as in being able to dial in the same opening the next time I use it without fiddling around.

* a simple stainless steel (of high quality) mechanism that will not rust
* A design that has no hidden nooks and cravices that can hide built up gunk
* A design that is easy to disassemble and assemble to clean
* A design that has no easily breakable parts
* A knob with a dial that indicates how open the valve is
* dial showing the same even after disassemble/clean/assemble
* No copper, this is a mechanical part, not a part that shall degrade in contact with sulphur.
Always impatient. But learning.
Worm Food
Novice

Post by Worm Food »

So, does anyone else think that this is a venue worth pursuing, or is everyone happy to spend that "~100.00 bucks" for one? I'm working on a design, and I truly figured that others here would have input regarding their experiences.

The door is wide open folks, by all means sing out please.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

I don't no what size you are looking for but EBAY has them all the time from 1/2 down less then 30 bucks USD.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Swagelok-Ss-1vs8 ... 0005.m1851" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

The needle needs a very fine thread, so that you can dial it in 'just Right.
Worm Food
Novice

Post by Worm Food »

acefixer and johnsparrow, thanks. (Rublestrudel too, apologies)

yeah. I'm going to continue on with my thoughts and intents, as what I'll be doing shall be considerably smaller than what was pictured. I tinker, that's what I do.
The fine thread on the stem adjustment is no problem. I'm also looking at putting graduations on the handle, with an indicator.

Just doing all this research, and come across that "build a boka" thread, and it got me to thinking when the statement was made of 100 dollar valve. Considering what's needed, I can play with that.

See what happens when you leave a machinist alone with tools, time, and materials. You'd be surprised what shows up. Overkill being Under-Rated, of course.

By all means, any other suggestions are appreciated.
richard1
Novice

Post by richard1 »

The selected needle valve type used must be a REGULATING needle valve. There are different types of needle valve but for flow control, the regulating type is used.

The regulating type has a needle end which extends into the outlet line which then restricts / regulates the flow.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Some things I recall about needle valves are issues with expansion / contraction with change n tempurature .This was a problem with some if the brass types . Perhaps another good reason to not mix different materials .

A boka if only used for nuetral production and not for stripping will benifit from the smallest controllable flow . If its used for stripping then the through flow needs to be substatially bigger and compromises the design .Perhaps a dedicated bypass valve across the needle valve could optimise both .

Regarding connections , keepng things standard is always the best approach so perhaps 1/4" NTP would be a good option .
Worm Food
Novice

Post by Worm Food »

Thank you, keep it up. These are all factors that I aim to include in my final design.

I want to say "I think I'm on to something here..." but what do I know? And, I'm looking to build it all out of stainless steel. That help?