Cipa's CCVM still

Post your builds here

Moderator: Site Moderator

Cipa's CCVM still

Postby Cipa » Sun May 06, 2018 5:12 am

Hello everyone,

even though I don't have a complet still, I would like to share my ongoning build with all its flaws, since gettting it right is the way I roll. :problem: So please, feel free to help me on my problems.

I've been looking on the forum, for what I think is the best kind of still for me as a total newb in this business-hobby, and decided to go for a CCVM build. The combination of a pot still and a reflux still sounds great, especially for making gin, my favorite spirit. (I'm from a country full with juniper bushes)

On the day I am writing this topic, I own a beer keg (50l), "special" copper mesh (special - impossible to get in Slovenija), a reflux condenser and a product condenser - homemade.

Reflux condenser is just a 3/8" soft copper in doubble helix 3m in lenght.
20180502_153332.jpg
Reflux condenser being de-salted.

Product condenser, a shotgun with 9x10mm pipe @ 600mm lenght. With this one I am really wondering if it is going to work, are the pipes too small? I would like to get a feedback. It is ugly since it is brased and I've never brazed copper so thick, hope will get better soon.
20180506_105845.jpg

20180506_110017.jpg
Needs more cleaning

One question about copper pipes. What is the logic behind having food grade copper if the tee's and bends are just normal copper and not "super" pure. Is this a common thing just in my world?

This is it for now, hope to continue ASAP. :wave:
"There's nothing quite as pathetic as an aging hipster." Dr. Evil
Cipa
Novice

Re: Cipa's CCVM still

Postby still_stirrin » Sun May 06, 2018 8:29 am

Cipa wrote:...What is the logic behind having food grade copper if the tee's and bends are just normal copper and not "super" pure. Is this a common thing just in my world?

What the heck is “food grade copper”? Is it edible? Copper pipe is copper pipe, especially if it is for potable water service. If it’s copper...then it is copper. If it’s an alloy, then it isn’t copper. And the country you live in should not make it otherwise.
ss
Attention new distillers: Cranky's spoon feed info
What is a Proof & Traille hydrometer: Alcohol-meter
Enzyme info: SebStar
HD Google search info: HD Google-how to
All about mashing grains: Braukaiser
still_stirrin
Master Distiller

Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Postby Cipa » Sun May 06, 2018 8:56 am

What the heck is “food grade copper”? Is it edible? Copper pipe is copper pipe, especially if it is for potable water service. If it’s copper...then it is copper. If it’s an alloy, then it isn’t copper. And the country you live in should not make it otherwise.
ss
[/quote]

It is the same as with stainless steel. There is some that wont "spoil" your food and some that will. It is the same with copper.
Since I work in company that works with heating elements like heat pumps, oil burners,... we use 2 kinds of copper pipes.
One for heating instalation and another for drinking watter.
The difference is purity of copper and some additional "preservatives". The one I have is 99.9% copper and is protected against corrosion (1m of 54mm is 35€). The others are not used for potable water just heating and are cheaper.

So yeah there is a difference. Maybe there is a different law in US.
"There's nothing quite as pathetic as an aging hipster." Dr. Evil
Cipa
Novice

Postby still_stirrin » Sun May 06, 2018 2:57 pm

Cipa wrote:...Maybe there is a different law in US.

I guess.

In the US, we have the American Standards of Testing Methods (ASTM) which ensures quality (and consistancy) of materials. For copper pipe, there is a standard for rigid pipe and another for (soft) copper tubing, both which are required to be 99.9% pure copper. This link summarizes some of the standards: https://www.copper.org/applications/plu ... _stds.html

The copper tubing and piping is suitable for potable water, while brass and bronze piping and fittings are acceptable for drain, waste, and vent (DWV) applications. Without doubt, copper for potable services is expensive because of the copper content.

So, when choosing the materials for your build, don’t “cheap out”....get the correct materials for safety. It does make a difference.
ss
Attention new distillers: Cranky's spoon feed info
What is a Proof & Traille hydrometer: Alcohol-meter
Enzyme info: SebStar
HD Google search info: HD Google-how to
All about mashing grains: Braukaiser
still_stirrin
Master Distiller

Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Return to The Construction Site