Fusti Tank Build

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JohnnyJumpUp
Novice

Fusti Tank Build

Post by JohnnyJumpUp »

Looking at the 28 gallon Fusti tanks for a boiler. I was turned onto this tank by a few threads. Has anyone had any problems with them leaking while distilling. They come with this disclaimer:

Stainless storage tanks for wine that include handles and a screw-top stainless lid with seal. Note that these are economy grade tanks and are a perfect fit as settling tanks, for short term storage, for racking out of barrels, for blending tanks, etc. but they are not great for long term storage. The problem is that the lids have molded threads and these cannot be trusted to for long term storage of high quality wines. Please see our line of German made Speidel storage tanks ranging from 13 to 475 gallons for long term portable storage solutions.

The Speidel tanks are a lot more money.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Fusti Tank Build

Post by still_stirrin »

The threaded caps have swage-formed threads, on the fusti and the lid. Over time, these may have a tendancy to gall due to corrosion or build up of crust and “stuff”.

For use as a boiler, thermal expansion may cause the threads to leak a little. If you (could) wrap a layer of plumber’s tape (PTFE) over the threads, it may help reduce this likelihood.

Others here have “made do” with the vessels. I’ve read reports that the bottom rolled edge is not the most robust and the thin gage bottom can warp when subject to a direct fire. While not the best, they’re price point is advantageous. So, consider your investment (cost and time, including maintenance). And decide for yourself if it is the right solution for you.

As advertised, the sellor explains their strengths and shortfall. Don’t overlook that disclosure either.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Scott817
Novice

Re: Fusti Tank Build

Post by Scott817 »

Mine never leaked and works great.
Attachments
28.jpg