How many stills have you built?

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How many stills have you built?

Post by Odin »

I am not really welding and acid bath cleaning myself anymore. Even assembly and testing and electrification aren't jobs I do anymore. And even when I did them, it was mostly me directing others how to do it. But as a member of HD, and having drawn huge inspiration here (and hopefully given back a little at times), I feel that mentioning that we are done building iStill number 741 makes me feel pretty proud.

Regards, Odin.
Last edited by Odin on Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Odin wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:49 pm I am not really welding and acid bath cleaning myself. Even assembly and testing and electrification aren't jobs I do anymore. But as a member of HD, and having drawn huge inspiration here (and hopefully given back a little at times), I feel that mentioning that we are done building iStill number 741 makes me feel pretty proud.

Regards, Odin.
Very impressive! You'll have to throw a nice party when you hit 1000! :thumbup:

Does the 741 number include all the varients like the mini?

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

No, that's "just" the production units. Not the product/recipe development stills.

Party? Good idea!

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Wow man that's awesome, congrats!
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
Evil Wizard
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil Wizard »

For stills I've sold, probably 400, with the help of employees. For myself, somewhere around 50 starting in 2004. First one was LM, haven't built one since. Lately its been iterations of continuous stills.
Work is the curse of the drinking class. "Would you like some water?" "No thanks, I'm Irish."

Louchebag Absintheur, Apostolic Alcoholic, Whisky Icarus, Bathtub Alchemist.

Started 2005, went Pro 2017. Federal Excise 51-SL-262.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Hey Odin, I just want to say that we've been stomping the same internet grounds since well before iStill, and your success makes me happy every time I hear more about it. You certainly aren't alone in being a model hobbyist turned professional, but you do set a high standard.
Cheers!
JacobH
Novice

Post by JacobH »

Two, working on the third now.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I've never made a still for profit and don't remember how many I've made or helped make.
One thing I'm sure of, none of the stills have been the same.
Each has been a learning experience, that I'll use on the next build. :ewink:
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

I have made 2 stills. The first was a very small 8L still with a short pot still column and a CM column (which I never used). I build it just to see if I would like the hobby...and it was love at first sight. I feel like Dr Frankenstein every time my still begins to drip : "it's alive!"
This first still was too small and build without proper understanding of distilling. So I read a lot and made plans to make a larger one. And I love this one. Even if, obviously, there are some details that could be improved. And I'm also proud of my hammered lid and love how my still looks.

I can't help myself and almost constantly "dream" of what I could or would make and how to improve my set up. Unfortunatelly my days are long enough but not broad enough to do everything I would like to make and do.
Nevertheless I'm now planning of making a fermenter. Making your own equipment is as much fun as using it!
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

I helped make a bunch of pots, caps, thumpers, and worms back when I was a kid. Never built a full outfit ever. My current outfit is 2 ea. 15.5 kegs (pot and thumper) with liebig condenser. I have a brandy head, thumper, and worm around somewhere that I used to use. But I cant say I built it. All I did was put parts together. So I'm just an assembler.
If I remember right, the Cape and the cap were always the hardest parts for the old guys to make fit right. I was just a kid carrying stuff and helping. I learned a lot from them old guys, some what to do and some what not to do.
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks: