Local Hardware Store Build - Column to Boiler Connection

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

tonofsteel
Novice

Local Hardware Store Build - Column to Boiler Connection

Post by tonofsteel »

Looking to build a rig but I am finding it near impossible to source anything locally. I did manage to get a full size and half size keg and am in the process of ordering spools and other components from far away lands to complete the build.

In the meantime I keep reading about people being able to put a still together in an afternoon. For an experiment while I wait for parts I am trying to do just that, using only what I can find in my local hardware stores for as cheap as possible.

I have found 20 quart SS stock pot with suitable lid for sealing ($30) The average stock pot here is $200 for something that size, it took a lot of hunting to find the standard cheap thin gauge one.
The max size pipe available here is 1"
I have 3/4" and 1/2" already so was trying to use these sizes

I have looked into/tried:
- Sink Drain bolted to lid (nothing SS/copper to get from 1-1/2" down to 1" or 3/4") (also SS strainers cost from $50-$150 and this is TIG weld sanitary ferrule price range already)
- Solder a 3/4" cap to the lid and then drill holes in it (no silver solder, see below)
- Use a 3/4" SS bulkhead fitting (none available)
- Use a copper or stainless steel flange with threaded hole in center. Closest thing I could find was closet rod flange and they were all chrome plated steel or other junk.
- Find a straight threaded 3/4" nipple in SS and bolt from each side (Nothing available)
- Use a 3/4" threaded male to copper adapter with a 3/4" threaded female copper adapter. Cut the end off the female adapter to use for a nut. Cut a 3/4" straight connector in half, flatten and drill hole so male threads can pass through and use cut nut to tighten. Similar to https://imgur.com/TRrph and viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38053&start=24
All that ended up happening here:
Joint.jpg
The "nut" ended up welding to the threads due the whole mess turning into an oval shape. I tried to brute force the nut to tighten and while doing this it must have distorted the adapter.

The only silver solder I could find was:
https://www.bernzomatic.com/Products/So ... er/SSWS100
https://www.bernzomatic.com/Products/So ... der/SAC300
And it says on the package it is not for use with drinking water. The flux does not look to me like it would be useful for soldering stainless unless the acid one can etch enough.

I have been scouring hardware stores in a 60 mile radius and they all have the same stuff and none of it looks suitable.

Quickly running out of options here but a couple left:
- Never stopped by the local metal supply shop. Could see if they have any stainless pieces that are 2 or 3" square and then drill and tap that. Doubtful as they usually want to sell full 8/12' lengths from what I have found.
- support the column externally and drop it into the hole in the stockpot lid, then seal with flour paste. I think the lid is thin enough that the movement during the run would cause this seal to break.
- Get 3/4" SS threaded rod and cut just enough to fit two nuts on with the thickness of the lid. Drill out the center of the SS rod (I am sure this would be fun in a not fun way)
- Find a metric or standard nut size that I can use a die to thread the outside of either a 3/4" pipe or 3/4" straight connector, then use two nuts to clamp lid between them (lead free solder the top after tightening) (not sure this would be possible)
- Try to hammer a flange out on the 3/4" pipe and then bolt that to the lid

Didn't think it would be so hard to find something to attach to the lid with.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Local Hardware Store Build - Column to Boiler Connection

Post by still_stirrin »

Well, keep looking for all the “goodies” needed for your build.

Incidentally, we have many, many members here from your country, and they seem to find workable supplies for their builds. So, I’d speculate that materials: pipe, pipe fittings, soldering supplies, etc., are available if you look in the right places. So, keep looking. (Perhaps some of our members who are your neighbors will chime in with suggestions here???)

It’s funny though that while this vice (distilling) is yet regarded as illegal, other “vices” are now liberated. Seems your statehouse has some priority misalignment. Oh well, perhaps you can look forward to the future....legalization of “recreational” distillation. :clap:
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
tonofsteel
Novice

Post by tonofsteel »

It does seem funny and bizarre that the legalization of the other vices allow you to even grow them in your own home yet distilling a drip of tipple is frowned upon. I hope this causes positive change for this hobby at some point down the road. I am not looking to sell or distill a whole bunch, there is a lot to the process of making a good tipple and I am fascinated by the process and techniques.

I have read posts from others and supplies are available, especially as you get closer to Vancouver/Toronto. I am fairly far away and rural as well so basic plumbing supplies is all I have to work with. I know it is hard to believe but where I am at it is incredibly hard to source any parts that are not bog standard. I can order sanitary spools from China or get them locally for 4 to 5x the cost compared to China (including shipping). Anything that is slightly specialized has a huge markup for what I imagine is B2B exploitation. I see places in the US that if you live in the US would be appealing, but shipping and duty makes them close to local insane prices if I attempt to order them. I ordered a part recently that I needed and 500 miles away in my country was $60 (with shipping), I ended up ordering it from a seller in Europe and paid $20 including shipping!!?? It boggles the mind but this is not a one off, the pattern consistently repeats itself.....

My current plan is to get one of the MIP 3/4" adapters and then pound out a flange from the non threaded end, annealing often to keep it malleable. Then use the carboard/PTFE gasket and some bolts to attach it to the lid. I really want to find something with a flange as I think mechanically it will be a much better solution due to the flimsy cheap stock pot lid.

I could order a SS 3/4" closet rod flange from china and it looks like it would be usable, but that is not local hardware store. Also don't want to go down that road because don't know if it really is stainless and what grade it is. There is welding where the pipe meets the flange and too many unknowns.

If I give up I can order a 1/2" SS bulkhead from China for $5-$10 and Bob's my uncle since the rest of it is sorted. I have a quote coming for a 3/4" SS bulkhead that is 600 miles away, which is the closest "local" online source I could find. Yes, a quote. In our backwoods 1965 environment I cannot order direct online. Need to get a quote then fill out a purchase order and then get the invoice paid within 30 days, just like my grandpa used to do (what's this internet thing I keep hearing about?). I will update here with the cost of that so you can see how ridiculously backwards stupid things are here.

Looks like the cheapest off the shelf column and lyne arm combo I can find is about $300 including shipping (Brewhaus US $125 before shipping and BS) So aiming for a sub $150 build including the boiler to consider this a success as anything more would lead me to just buy the darn thing from somewhere.

I have looked at about 25 places locally to find parts and either they are ridiculously priced or not offered. I know there are easier ways to do this but just want to answer the question "Where I live is it possible to bang together a basic still from the local hardware store?"
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Ok if you just want to "Bodge" something up - try this :-

You have 3/4 " pipe - cut 2 1/4" length, saw a cut down one side open and beat flat - will give you approx 2 1/4 x2 1/4 square drill a hole in centre and tap (small ball pein hammer) an upstand in the hole, so your 3/4" will slip over it reasonably tight. Solder this flange to your copper nice and firm. Then drill 3/4" hole in your "lid" and attatch to the "Lid" using stainless bolts (Car spares shop) - Gasket material I'll leave to you ! :)
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

For my very first still I wandered around to plumbers or (black)smiths and asked for help.
I sure was much younger then and maybe acted a bit naïve, but they were ready to help me and I got a good working still that served me some years very well.

I still do hardly know how to solder, let alone weld, but I can drill holes and connect screws.

I suppose this goes for you too?
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Kareltje wrote:For my very first still I wandered around to plumbers or (black)smiths and asked for help.
I sure was much younger then and maybe acted a bit naïve, but they were ready to help me and I got a good working still that served me some years very well.

I still do hardly know how to solder, let alone weld, but I can drill holes and connect screws.

I suppose this goes for you too?
Ok - given that situation, Do the pipe opening as before, but then drill a hole 13/16 " in centre. cut 1" into the end of your 3/4" so as to make 4 cuts in all 90 degrees apart. Fold the tabs at 90 degrees and flatten.

bolt or screw the tabs (Stainless connectors ) through both the copper and the "Lid" with as many connectors as seems reasonable. tapping all the time to get as close a contact as you can. then assemble it all and give a good dose of "Pastry" around the joint.

The pastry will harden before the vapour comes and there will be no leaks (if there are - switch off and add more pastry ! (you can harden in an emergency with a propane torch)

Sometmes a good "Bodge" is worth a thousand "Help me's" :wink: 8)
tonofsteel
Novice

Post by tonofsteel »

Thanks Pikey!

That sounds like the way I am going to have to go, simple and effective. Really wanted to have a nice bulkhead connector of some sorts but at this point will take anything that works.

I have put together about 25-30 copper joints now with random home plumbing jobs so I should be able to kludge this together.
I am planning on using regular lead free solder as the silver stuff here says it is not for plumbing. It is less than 1% silver according to the spec so this does not sound like enough from what I have been reading.

If that fails then I will try the second method you listed.
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Post by Reverend Newer »

1% silver is fine, they might as well have 0% really, silver is fine for plumbing though not economical I reckon.

Higher content silver solders are more for strength of the joint for our needs.
spiritually taxed circa 1791