Documenting my no skill, simple keg potstill and shotgun

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Cantona1111
Novice

Documenting my no skill, simple keg potstill and shotgun

Post by Cantona1111 »

Hello folks,

As described in the title, I have no identifiable engineering skill (I work in a caring profession). But what I lack in skill I make up with enthusiasm. I've been reading the forum and watching videos for months, and this evening I started to cut some copper and mock up my few parts that I have.

Plan is to make a 1.5m column, 750mm shotgun, this will allow me reflux in the future if I want too. The element is 3kw and I got the controller kit from still dragon. I have lead free solder and silver solder with appropriate flux and a torch head with gas bottles. I have never soldered and I have no idea about electrics. I going to practice with some scraps with the solder but I might seek assistance with electrics.

Am I going in the right direction? Any suggested changes before I start drilling this keg and assembling the still?

I can nearly smell my homemade dark rum all ready !
Attachments
IMG_20180711_212134-600x800.jpg
IMG_20180711_211725-600x800.jpg
IMG_20180711_211708-600x800.jpg
IMG_20180711_211652-600x800.jpg
IMG_20180711_211708-600x800.jpg
resized.zip
(1.6 MiB) Downloaded 73 times
Kareltje
Distiller

Re: Documenting my no skill, simple keg potstill and shotgun

Post by Kareltje »

I am ususally quite over confident myself, but I think you surpass me.
No soldering experience and wanting to make a shotgun? You need a steep learning curve!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I take it you are building a pot still?.
May I suggest you build the rest of the still first, then once you have some soldering experience you can start on a shot gun.
Cantona1111
Novice

Post by Cantona1111 »

Kareltje wrote:I am ususally quite over confident myself, but I think you surpass me.
No soldering experience and wanting to make a shotgun? You need a steep learning curve!
Definitely a learning curve but a very enjoyable one. I'm looking at this as a learning opportunity. Hi m sure I'll get there in the end! Starting from scratch is what I'm finding most difficult, as in I don't have any gear or workshop.
Cantona1111
Novice

Post by Cantona1111 »

Saltbush Bill wrote:I take it you are building a pot still?.
May I suggest you build the rest of the still first, then once you have some soldering experience you can start on a shot gun.
That's the plan Bill, practice first, then complete column and keg. Leave the shotgun till the end. Yes, I'm building a potstill, the column is 1.5 meters as I had access to a couple of decent lengths and I might convert it to reflux in the future, does that make sense?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

looks good but seriously , a 750mm long shotty for 3Kw is way overkill . you could probably get away with 300mm .
On a reflux still that will typically be running 10:1 Reflux ratio all it has to deal with is a meager 200 odd watts considering that you'll be only able to run at around 2kW or a little over before flooding .

But I can't talk , I made a whopper too :D ...get stuck in and best off luck to you .

All I can say is clean all your copper to pinky goodness and flux flux flux ....and use the liquid stuff for soft solder .Paste is shit stuff for soft solder .and not to be confused with the Borax based flux pastes use to brazing ( hard soldering )
When soft soldering Keep the flame away from joint/ flux , let the heat work in from around .

If you are hard soldering that copper you might find it almost impossible unless you use an Oxy torch or pre-heat it on a smaller gas burner while using a MAPP torch to bring it to red hot .
Anyways , we done a lot of soldering and brazing and can help you through this if you have problems .