Still from scratch

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Still from scratch

Post by Fiddleford »

How are you going to make cut's if you ain't beside the still with such a large rig you should be able to get even better cuts
Nature calls pull the fire off and start back up whit your done, are you going to risk your still and losing product because you gotta shit?
Of course fire means heat but I come from a fire mindset, I've had still fires also they aint fun and I'm damn glad I was there to stop it
If your show comes on make it so you got the tv on site or tablet but keep and eye on the still
Make it so you shouldn't need to leave the still site unless its absolutely necessary and since your on electric you wont run out of electricity
Shut the thing down take your shit or change the kids diaper and heat it back up
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
RimaNTSS
Novice

Post by RimaNTSS »

Fiddleford wrote:How are you going to make cut's if you ain't beside the still with such a large rig you should be able to get even better cuts
Could you please remind me when I've said that I am going to be away from the site :D Everyone knows that cuts are very important and they can not be left unattended. I think that we are deviating from the topic. I am just building hardware stuff and have some ideas how to make control-box. Process of distillation of rectification those are completely other area IMHO. :D
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

Yes I apologies for pushing the thread further off topic but there have been mentioning's of leaving the still untended by another member in this thread
The older members have worked very hard to push safety above all else in this forum and hobby its only right to keep that going, that's just my 50 cents
Nice build btw :thumbup:
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
RimaNTSS
Novice

Post by RimaNTSS »

No problem!
TBH, I do not have real need to go away from still. I do it in my garage (on the picture my old still is visible). The new one will stay at the same place. Clarence to ceiling is ~3m, water faucet is also there. Wireless internet and TV also available :P . No toilet though :oops: Even when I am not stilling I spend most of my free time here :ebiggrin:
IMG_20180223_093753 (Large) (Medium).jpg
RimaNTSS
Novice

Post by RimaNTSS »

More work is done today on the project. Cleaning, polishing etc.
IMG_20180929_115129 (Large).jpg
IMG_20180929_125238 (Large).jpg
IMG_20180929_145858 (Large).jpg
IMG_20180929_152822 (Large) (Medium).jpg
IMG_20180929_165726 (Large).jpg
IMG_20180929_203922 (Large) (Custom).jpg
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

What is the purpose of going from a 3/4 inch nipple to a larger diameter tube and back down to a 3/4 inch nipple on the drain tube? Just curious.
RimaNTSS
Novice

Post by RimaNTSS »

This is standard 30mm tube, much easier to find piece of it on the shelve than search for smaller diameter tube. :D Both ends for it made from detail (do not know proper name of it in English) by cutting it in half.
IMG_20180929_121556 (Medium).jpg
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

RimaNTSS wrote:No problem!
TBH, I do not have real need to go away from still. I do it in my garage (on the picture my old still is visible). The new one will stay at the same place. Clarence to ceiling is ~3m, water faucet is also there. Wireless internet and TV also available :P . No toilet though :oops: Even when I am not stilling I spend most of my free time here :ebiggrin:
IMG_20180223_093753 (Large) (Medium).jpg
WOW and I thought you needed a Distilling chair :oops:

Looks like you got everything bar the kitchen sink. :lolno:

Nice build my friend, you sure got some snazzy stainless skills. :clap:
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

RimaNTSS wrote:This is standard 30mm tube, much easier to find piece of it on the shelve than search for smaller diameter tube. :D Both ends for it made from detail (do not know proper name of it in English) by cutting it in half.
IMG_20180929_121556 (Medium).jpg
So you are using a standard 3/4 inch NPT short nipple splitting it and welding it to 30 mm tube. That has to be difficult having to adapt one size to another. Not familiar with metric tube but don't they have a standard metric collar to make things easier?
RimaNTSS
Novice

Post by RimaNTSS »

Of course they have all sizes standard collars but sometimes it is easier to work with stuff available than go to additional shopping all times :D . Besides, I have lathe available and it is not so difficult to adjust pieces of metal in their diameters. Also, this way is cheaper.
Not too much is made today. 154mm tap-hole on the upper lid. And 75cm long desolator (51mm pipe inside 63.5mm pipe)
Some self-explaining pictures.
IMG_20180930_105849 (Custom).jpg
IMG_20180930_115916 (Custom).jpg
IMG_20180930_130950 (Custom).jpg
IMG_20180930_162359 (Custom).jpg
IMG_20180930_203313 (Custom).jpg
IMG_20180930_204132 (Custom).jpg
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Seriously tell me that that is not a valve inline with your condenser .
There is no possible reason that it should be there . It’s bomb waiting to happen .
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

Yummyrum wrote:Seriously tell me that that is not a valve inline with your condenser .
There is no possible reason that it should be there . It’s bomb waiting to happen .
+1 WTF is it!!!!! :think:
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
RimaNTSS
Novice

Post by RimaNTSS »

Exactly, it is valve and it will be opened only when condenser in operation. It looks maybe strange without a column. But on the middle of the boiler there will be 51mm column always open, so no bomb effect. When valve is open then vapor will not go through the column but via condenser. Physics!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

RimaNTSS wrote:Exactly, it is valve and it will be opened only when condenser in operation. It looks maybe strange without a column. But on the middle of the boiler there will be 51mm column always open, so no bomb effect. When valve is open then vapor will not go through the column but via condenser. Physics!
Could you present a drawing or explanation of how that works?
RimaNTSS
Novice

Post by RimaNTSS »

I am not good drawer and even worse explanator (as English is not my mother-tongue). :( Maybe this simple drawing helps.
IMG_20181003_123625 (Medium).jpg
When valve is closed then all vapor goes via packed column (any type of column). But when valve is open then vapor sneaks where it is easier, so it finds it's way via condenser and nothing goes through the column. I see no bomb-effect threat here al all. Besides, as far as I know I am not the first one who is using this build-setup. :)
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Why 2 pot heads?

One looks big enough for stripping. And the packing in the tall riser (still a pot head) is not very useful without some reflux induced by a reflux condenser. What you’ve drawn is not a reflux column.

And the short pot head is dangerous with a valve in it (if you removed and capped the port where the tall riser pot head is).

You need to understand better the functions of the still types...potstill & reflux still.

Your build is great...just very poorly designed. And as built, it poses danger to the operations. What will happen when a puke plugs your packed riser? Pressure will build in the boiler. Not good.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
RimaNTSS
Novice

Post by RimaNTSS »

My drawing was just to show that closed valve will not lead to rise of the pressure in the boiler. I have no plans to remove and cap second port. The column I've drawn is just to show that it will be there and it can be any type, including reflux. So, design I use is posing not more danger than any other build. On short head (when valve is open) I will have first run. The second and, if needed, third run (valve is closed) will be done on the higher column.
In case I decide to have safety valve, there is 1/2" bit (red arrow) available for that.
IMG_20180930_195442 (Medium).jpg
Basically, this build combining both pots still and reflux still in one, and type will be changed by closing or opening of one single valve. :D
RimaNTSS
Novice

Post by RimaNTSS »

If the valve is the problem, would that build will be safer? :shock: This is same as valve was there but in close position BTW.
IMG_20181003_123625 (Medium).jpg
I think we are arguing about nothing here.
RimaNTSS
Novice

Post by RimaNTSS »

Did not have possibility to work on the project last weekend :( but have some plans for next Sunday. :D
Meanwhile received couple of packages from PRC. The problem with China-shops is the fact that everything is so cheap there so we just buy and buy. And it is even cheap if you buy a lot! :lol: So, I've got many 51mm clamps to build main column for my still, and maybe also to experiment with different columns.
IMG_20181009_145600 (Large) (Custom).jpg
IMG_20181009_145320 (Large) (Custom).jpg
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Lots and lots of stainless . Where is the vapor going to contact some copper for removal of sulfides. I use an added chamber of copper rings for copper contact in my stills.
RimaNTSS
Novice

Post by RimaNTSS »

I have no plans by now to use any coper in this still. Did not have coper in my first still and was satisfied with results :o
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

Even thou you where satisfied it doesn't hurt just to try does it?
Maybe try a few short pieces of copper in the riser just to see what happens
I used to have a all SS rig and once I got the ability to use my copper riser my product is all the better
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
RimaNTSS
Novice

Post by RimaNTSS »

Of course, I am not excluding use of coper. After I finish this still I will "play" with it and afterwards will do some experiments :D
NEGaxSEGa
Novice

Post by NEGaxSEGa »

still_stirrin wrote: Your build is great...just very poorly designed. And as built, it poses danger to the operations. What will happen when a puke plugs your packed riser? Pressure will build in the boiler. Not good.
ss
I'm just a guy trying to read until his eyes bleed, but this response is confusing to me. Personally, I'd rather swap out components than have 2 still heads, but I don't know what difference it makes of he does it this way. If I have a single column, and my still pukes and plugs the riser, I'm not better off than this guy because I don't have a valve in a second column. He and I are in the same situation, at worst, and he might be better off, since he can open his second vapor stream and bypass the blockage.

Again, not saying I'd do it this way. Modular configuration makes more sense to me than dual columns.

I'm more worried that with the valve open, he's going to have two vapor streams to cool, and two (hopefully liquid) outputs to monitor and catch.
RimaNTSS
Novice

Post by RimaNTSS »

NEGaxSEGa wrote:I'm more worried that with the valve open, he's going to have two vapor streams to cool, and two (hopefully liquid) outputs to monitor and catch.
[/quote] I do not worry about this at all. When valve is open then all vapor goes through the valve. It is always like this cuz water, vapor, electrical current etc go where resistance is less. And this is exactly the case. :)
Unfortunately weekend is always too short, so has very little progress on the project. Did some modeling on the front panel of the control box
IMG_20181014_113250 (Large).jpg
. The plate for the box is done, it is made out of 6mm aluminum and will work as heat sink for main triac and the plate will be additionally cooled by the cooling water in the condenser.
IMG_20181014_164712 (Large) (Custom).jpg
And finally just attached diopter to see how it fits to the top of the boiler :D It looks OK for me.
IMG_20181014_150318 (Large) (Custom).jpg
RimaNTSS
Novice

Post by RimaNTSS »

Not much changes on the project. Just some control-box work is done.
IMG_20181020_182427 (Custom).jpg
RimaNTSS
Novice

Post by RimaNTSS »

Some "meat" is filled in the box :lol:
IMG_20181021_183757 (Custom).jpg
RimaNTSS
Novice

Post by RimaNTSS »

Hi All!
You will not believe, but at the end of October last year I've got my arm broken, broken so badly that till now I have difficulties working. :( Therefore most of the parts of my built were finished by friend of mine and gone to another happy distiller.
So, I start my attempt #3 in building:
- 27cm legs for the boiler;
- 75cm condenser (51mm pipe in 63mm pipe) .
Still have idea to use 3-phases electricity connection. Now I have an idea to install 2x4.5kWt heating elements.
Will continue work in 1 week (weekend after next one).
Some pictures
IMG_20190224_201442 (Large) (Medium).jpg
IMG_20190224_194029 (Large) (Medium).jpg
IMG_20190224_192217 (Large).jpg
IMG_20190224_182256 (Large) (Medium).jpg
IMG_20190223_201456 (Large) (Medium).jpg
IMG_20190223_174621 (Large).jpg
RimaNTSS
Novice

Post by RimaNTSS »

Finally got my still done. In couple of days will have first real-life test, as 80l of mash almost ready.
IMG_20190428_184847 (Large) (Custom).jpg
IMG_20190428_184839 (Large) (Custom).jpg
IMG_20190428_184808 (Large) (Custom).jpg
IMG_20190428_184757 (Large) (Custom).jpg
IMG_20190428_184748 (Large) (Custom).jpg
IMG_20190427_170551 (Large) (Custom).jpg
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

My understanding of welding with stainless is that it requires an inert gas else things go wrong. Are you silver soldering or if welding what is your process?

thanks,
t.