Hardening copper pipe?

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Hardening copper pipe?

Post by Alchemist75 »

If there happen to be any metallurgy wizards here I have a question:
Obviously, soldering copper pipe with a torch will anneal the metal. Is there a way to re harden the metal after it's been worked into a shape such as a coil? I know about work hardening but I don't see how you'd do it with a coil or other equally involved and fixed shape. Any DIY methods that would work?
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Hardening copper pipe?

Post by acfixer69 »

Soldering temps 600-700 F will not anneal copper. It needs 1200-1300 F to really be soft. But as far as work hardening soft copper it will harden itself with time. You can drive around with a soft coil in the truck and in a month it don't want to unroll easy.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Pretty much what AC said , time and movement. Ive never had to worry about hardening anything Ive ever made from copper, it just seems to happen over time. You can sit there tapping it gently all over with a small hammer or other hard object if you want.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Saltbush Bill wrote:....You can sit there tapping it gently all over with a small hammer or other hard object if you want.
Could I attach a...my wife’s...uh-humm...vibrating thing-a-ma-jiggy? :lolno:
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

still_stirrin wrote:
Saltbush Bill wrote:....You can sit there tapping it gently all over with a small hammer or other hard object if you want.
Could I attach a...my wife’s...uh-humm...vibrating thing-a-ma-jiggy? :lolno:
I believe they call it the Hitachi magic wand :wink: given how powerfully it vibrates I'd not be surprised if it works.
I know using a torch to heat copper can make it much easier to manipulate but if it's not softening the metal then no worries. Thanks for the insight.
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

You have to heat copper to at minimum a dull red colour to anneal it . If you are Brazing with a MAPP or Oxy torch this will do it . If you are just using soft solder , it won't anneal it .

Bending it into a coil will have it pretty hard . Polishing the coil will finish the job :thumbup:
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

still_stirrin wrote: Could I attach a...my wife’s...uh-humm...vibrating thing-a-ma-jiggy? :lolno:
You must be referring to Bob... (battery operated buddy)
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

You could glass bead it but that would only be a surface hardening. I have heard ultra sonic vibrations have also been used to harden copper. It would be interesting to see if it works like aluminum. You use the same principal to anneal aluminum but to re harden aluminum you must reheat to a controlled temperature and do a controlled cool down over a few hours time.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Twisted Brick wrote:
still_stirrin wrote: Could I attach a...my wife’s...uh-humm...vibrating thing-a-ma-jiggy? :lolno:
You must be referring to Bob... (battery operated buddy)
That is funny. In my language the BOB is the one in a company that is NOT going to drink and drive the other ones safely home.
I had to look it up, but it is NOT an acronym, so NOT Bewust Onbeschonken Bestuurder (Conciously Sober Driver).
It started in Belgium and is now a European plan of advertising every year for some time.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

OK fellas ... enough of the smut talk ..... keep it clean please . :roll:
Nine posts ..four not worth keeping .