HELP! Tell me where to start!

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

greybeard
Novice

HELP! Tell me where to start!

Post by greybeard »

I have a 15 gallon keg ready to turn into a still. It has been sitting in the basement waiting on me to get on it. Life has happened and caused a big delay, but the other part is I just can't decide where to start. I even posted a YouTube video of my first steps (https://youtu.be/NkPA29VhzOo) and have over 5,500 view and 59 subscribers. Didn't intend for that to happen :) They are all waiting for what comes next.

I plan to build a pot still with a 2" shotgun condenser, 4/5 internal pipes, use an electric heat source. (The only thing I drink is whisky and I don't think that will ever change). I know it doesn't matter and I could start anywhere, but I need someone to push me into the next step. Force my hand. Please!

Tell me what part of the still I should work on first.
Greybeard
"Keep it secret. Keep it safe." -Gandalf the Grey
cranky
Master of Distillation

Re: HELP! Tell me where to start!

Post by cranky »

greybeard wrote:I know it doesn't matter and I could start anywhere, but I need someone to push me into the next step. Force my hand. Please!
Begin at the beginning, simple as that.

If it were me I would start by making a list of things I need to do. Then things I need to get. Then get material together. Then I would move on to modifying the keg, that was the hardest part for me ( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36347 ) Next I would build a controller ( viewtopic.php?f=85&t=50385//url ) or (viewtopic.php?f=85&t=43456&start=630) Then start on the condenser and probably last the column. Simple
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

greybeard wrote:I plan to build a pot still with a 2" shotgun condenser, 4/5 internal pipes, use an electric heat source.
Shotguns are a huge overkill on a pot still, a liebig condenser is all that is needed and they are so much easier to build. Use the time and effort you save to build a controller as Cranky suggested.
greybeard
Novice

Post by greybeard »

Thanks fellas. Drilling some holes in the keg will be my next step. Heating element, drain, and maybe a cleaning port.....
Greybeard
"Keep it secret. Keep it safe." -Gandalf the Grey
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

greybeard wrote:Thanks fellas. Drilling some holes in the keg will be my next step. Heating element, drain, and maybe a cleaning port.....
Consider flipping the keg upside down and using the existing sankey connection for your drain. Works well for a lot of people.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Twisted Brick »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Shotguns are a huge overkill on a pot still, a liebig condenser is all that is needed and they are so much easier to build.
Undoubtedly true, but there are plenty of guys who run shotguns on their pots. They're more space-efficient, plus (for builders) the satisfaction one receives from building a shell and tube condenser. :D I like that my 4 x 1/2" x 21" shotty allows me to collect on a tabletop, and is part of my modular (pot/reflux still) design. It's also easy to clean and store.

I have never run a liebig, but to my simple mind, it seems that in the same timespan, more vapor (4x?) can be pushed through four 1/2" vapor tubes than a single 1/2" vapor tube 6' in length. (with regards to vapor speed, if this is not correct, someone please correct me.)

As for making a complex build easy, here was my solution.

There's also a lot of sanke users who run their kegs untouched, pot and reflux rigs.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer