New Pot/Thumper modular build

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Longhairedcountryboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

New Pot/Thumper modular build

Post by Longhairedcountryboy »

Hey All! This is my first post in over 12 years. I can't believe it has been that long! I had to get rid of my old pot when I had to move from the country to an apartment in a not so rural area. That was over a decade ago. I've been waiting for an opportunity to get a rig up and running for a long time.

Anyway, I've been scrounging and collecting bits and pieces for a few years. The stars finally aligned and I am at a time and place that allows me the luxury of starting the hobby up again. I've put a lot of time and work into putting this new rig together over the past few months. I'm real close to firing it up for the cleaning runs.

I haven't done anything new here. I basically lifted MichiganCornHusker's design wholesale (viewtopic.php?f=92&t=60248). I even PM'd him for clarification on his Liebig. The only difference is I used 1" over to the thumper and my condenser is 1" over 3/4". I have lots of pictures, so I hope everyone likes to look at lots of pictures...

Basic setup. I can run either electric or gas. I'm fixing to get a second burner so I can preheat the thumper to get it on line faster.
new still 2.jpg
New Still.jpg
Connection Detail.jpg
Thumper head detail.jpg
I wanted to try to put a pressure relief valve on the boiler side. I tried tapping some threads into the ss cap. It didn't go so well...
Broken Tap.jpg
So I bought a cap with threads already installed
Pressure Relief.jpg
Last edited by Longhairedcountryboy on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhairedcountryboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: New Pot/Thumper modular build

I also added a thermometer to the thumper cap for shits and giggles...
Thermometer.jpg
I made two extensions. One is 4" and the other is 8.5" tall. I can play around with different configurations. I don't know how useful these are, but it was more for fun I guess.
Extentions.jpg
Tall Extention.jpg
one extention.jpg
I think the next thing I would like to get done with this build is to make a cart on wheels with gas and water manifolds and burners built in. Kind of like the diy homebrew rigs.

Anyway, I should have this thing up and running in a few weeks. I'm pretty excited to be back!
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Very nice and flexible! I like that too! :thumbup: :clap:

With a cart you can roll it anywhere, so you could do as they do on the Balkan: go from farm to farm with their still on wheels!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Wow! Welcome back and nice looking boiler/thumper you’ve got there. I can see lotsa clear liquid dripping forth in yoir future :)

-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Welcome back!

Great looking build implementation. Modular is definitely the way to go!

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Very nice build, you are gonna like that setup.
I really like the triclamp blank plates and the prv, very clean, I think I'll upgrade mine with similar.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Longhairedcountryboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

So been continuing to upgrade and modify and I think I have this set up the way I want them. The first thing I did was add 4" fill ports and 1" drains. The fill ports are capped with glass.
boiler modifications.jpg

I hated the cold water line to the liebig hanging out so far, so I hard piped the cold input to the top of the condenser so I could keep the lines neat and out of the way.
Condenser Modification.jpg
I still haven't built the cart. I don't think I'm going to. With drain ports, I don't have to move the kegs to dump them.

Anyway, I think I'm done building this rig. All the items on my want list are checked off. I had just as much fun building this as I do running it. I'm going to have to start another project soon to keep the itch scratched. A flute, perhaps...
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Very nice indeed.
Lovin the bells and whistles for the shites and giggles. :D
Kinda like Christmas :thumbup:.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Nice,thoughtful build.

Utilizing the factory ferrule would've been a nice way to fully exploit complete draining since you were modifying the keg anyway.

Doesn't matter though. Really nice work.
Attachments
Keg.png
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Longhairedcountryboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

LWTCS wrote:Utilizing the factory ferrule would've been a nice way to fully exploit complete draining since you were modifying the keg anyway...
One of the kegs already had ferrule for a heating element welded near the bottom. I discussed it with my welder and we came to the conclusion that it would be easier to just match it on the second keg. We didn't want to patch and I wanted them both the same. I might try fitting a dip tube inside eventually but the drains work great as is. I just have to tip the boiler a little to get the last bit out. It's less than a gallon. It sure beats lifting a full keg up into the sink to dump it. Over all, I am extremely pleased with the versatility and performance of this rig.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Nice setup !! Tri clamps are the way to go. After dicking around with shitty fittings on my water supply lines I went with 3/4" tri clamps there as well

OVZ