Little CCVM

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Longhairedcountryboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Little CCVM

Post by Longhairedcountryboy »

I scored a free 1/4 barrel a little while back and I finally decided what to do with it. I had some 1.5 inch copper and fittings in my parts pile, so I have started to put together a little tiny CCVM that I can fit on my stovetop in my kitchen.

I'm pretty sure it will be super slow and may not produce completely neutral, but this build is more for fun and experimentation than anything. I'm interested in seeing what I can get out of a 30" packed 1.5" diameter column. I can use it to experiment with different packing medium and get a feel for how to drive it before I build a proper one. I'm also trying to put this together as inexpensively as possible. I did buy a sight glass and a couple ss ferrules so far. I'm hoping to put this together with as much on-hand, cheap finds and donated material as possible. Here is what I have so far.
CCVM.jpg
Most of it isn't soldered yet. I just put some pieces together to get an idea of what I have and what I have to do yet. I'm going to have to make a copper reflux coil. The csst will not fit. I'm leaning towards a liebig for the product condenser, even though I want to try to make a 1.5" diameter shotgun, just for the challenge of it. I might just try building it just to see if I can.

I'll update this thread as the build progresses.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Little CCVM

Post by fizzix »

Anything new recently, Longhair?
Longhairedcountryboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

fizzix wrote:Anything new recently, Longhair?
Well, I have been busy with other projects. This one is kind of on the side for fun. I did come up with an idea. I decided to make a tiny shotgun for the RC. I haven't got around to actually acting on that, but it did give me an idea. If I do make a 1.5" diameter shotty, I could bore out the stop in the tee fitting with a 1 5/8" hole saw and the condenser will be able to slide all the way down, physically blocking the vapor output. I could then use a set screw to hold the condenser at any vertical position inside the tee. The tube would physically block the vapor path to the product condenser completely, partially, or not at all. Not sure if it will work. I'm just messing around with this one.

I started boring out the tee and realized it is going to take longer than I had originally expected. I set it down and forgot about it until now.
hole saw tee fitting.jpg
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Curious to find out how it works.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Longhairedcountryboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

I made some progress on this yesterday. I've decided to call this the "overly complicated for no reason" still. It totally defeats the purpose of the ccvm design. Even if this works, I can see no reason for anyone to go through the trouble, but in the interest of completing what I started, I preserver.

I got the tee bored out. After I got the hole saw through, I had to clean it up with a flap wheel on a dremel to get the pipe to slide clean through. I decided to go with six 3/8" tubes inside the 7" x 1.5" shotgun shell. The overall dimensions of the shotgun were chosen by luck of the draw from the scrap pile. It was the longest piece of 1.5" scrap I had on hand. Five of the six 3/8" tubes will carry vapor. The 6th will carry the warm water exhaust out the top. After putting it together for a dry fit, I realized it would have been nicer to center the exhaust tube, aesthetically anyway. I don't think the offset will make any measurable difference in performance. It was a pain in the ass to get it this far. I'm not redoing it.
Ground Out Tee.jpg
Dryfit Guts.jpg
Small Shotgun Preassemble.jpg
Fruit Squeezer
Bootlegger

Post by Fruit Squeezer »

Looks like you've got yourself the perfect tool for doing small expiramental runs of whatever mash your mind can create, without commiting $$$ to a 50 gal ferment.
It looks perfect for a spirit run of low wines, without having to wait until you get 15 gallons stored up.

Or, perhapse running in pot still mode for a small rum, brandy, bourbon, or whatever. I think with a little time on it, you're gonna be quite fond of that thing. I bet it would produce some tasty squeezins in the comfort of your kitchen.

I still have my small pot to fiddle around with even after going larger, just because it's so damned fun, cheap, and easy to run. :thumbup:
Longhairedcountryboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yep Fruit Squeezer, that's the l plan. The boiler is the same size as the one I started with and used for years. It has a bit of a nostalgia for me. I think it might be useful for small batches to jump start backset/dunder and feints production for adding to larger projects as well. It is going to be perfect for when work volume picks up in the spring and I will be pressed for time to do anything, let alone large distilling projects.

After re reading my post, I think I should refrain from posting when I'm frustrated. I think the adjustable shotgun idea is going to be pretty cool, if it works. If not, I'll just drop a copper coil in there and call it good.

The project is going back on the shelf for a while again anyway. I'm just working on a backlog of unfinished projects. I got way ahead of myself for a while.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

In case you end up deciding to go with a coil for the RC, I’d like to tell you that my CSST RC Is more of a twist than a coil to be able to fit and be able to slide up and down,it works fine!
CF9F2F9C-E0E7-40AB-943D-E786198019EA.jpeg
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time