Still build

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

WillieP
Novice

Re: Still build

Post by WillieP »

Ferrules...

http://stilldragon.com/index.php/brass-ez-flange.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

I was talking overkill of the difficulty of shotgun build not efficiency I'm all for modular. Can be made much easier. All that I meant.
daveyg
Novice

Post by daveyg »

The finished internal portion of the shotgun. 3 baffles, 20” length. Should work excellent for every bit as big a still I ever decide to make. Ordered 3 sets of triclamp ferrules and clamps and ptfe gaskets, going to put one set on the washpot lid, on set on the elbow to the top of the shotgun, and have one extra for...? The next build? Haha.
Attachments
BD387E86-3124-460C-BBFA-E71BAFD25C50.png
Longhairedcountryboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Longhairedcountryboy »

Just a heads up before you solder it up. You want the tubes to be flush with the top plate on the vapor end. If they stick up, condensate will pool.
metalsmith
Bootlegger

Post by metalsmith »

Longhairedcountryboy wrote:Just a heads up before you solder it up. You want the tubes to be flush with the top plate on the vapor end. If they stick up, condensate will pool.
Yup, smearing.
daveyg
Novice

Post by daveyg »

Yes I was thinking the same thing about pooling of condensate. Test fit. The ‘flush’ end will be the top.
Attachments
C3BAE8A2-91C5-41BB-9355-DE3373A2A637.png
BE2C93CB-C057-46FC-B242-D45639509246.png
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

You can slot the tubes to flush which will help minimize the smear but it's best to make it right from the start. Their will be other questions after you run a few that no one will be able to answer because they haven't watch your build and I still think you are making this way harder then it needs to be. I'll back off because I feel I may be steppin in your space, you are a skilled craftsman. You will get it right. We will help when you need it.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

A few more ideas.. Here is the PC I use on my 3" flute.. it is 14" x 1.5" with 5 - 3/8" tubes, and it work very well, using very little water flow, and light in weight once filled with water..

You may want to angle the tube on the exit side so that the distillate flow toward the centre, and also place the exit end plate up some so as to have some space to drill a few holes below it, which will allow the distillate to flow freely..

Mars
Attachments
Picture 0532.jpg
Picture 0552.jpg
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein